Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2003, 06:48 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

But ad&d rules state that a beneficial spell only works if the target wants it to. Magic Resistance is supposed to increase MR, so it falls under this rule. So Firkraag should have the option of ignoring the spell if it would have a negative effect on him.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:57 PM   #12
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
The lowest level spells that [lower magic resistance] here are Magic Resistance... [Magic Resistance] is actually not supposed to work,
Why do people say this? It very clearly states in the manual that Magic Resistance can result in lowering someones magic resistance. [/QUOTE]The cheese comes in because since this is classed as a beneficial spell, casting it on a neutral does not make them hostile. And spells with warnings like that are meant to caution you about using them on your party, not your enemies.

I just recently discovered the utility of a level 6 druid spell that I used to ignore; Dolorous Decay. It has a nice poison effect of 1 point of damage per second for 50 seconds (that's 6 points per round until they have taken 50 damage or died). The bad news is that the poison damage is entirely negated by a save vs. poison at -2. Of course, if you are already using greater malison and doom on the dragon, he might actually fail it. The real power of this spell for fighting big nasties is that it automatically slows the target for two rounds. That gives your figthers a chance to go toe to toe without getting ripped to shreds quite so fast. And hey, if the poison works, so much the better!
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:47 PM   #13
firkrag
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I will spend the better part of tonight implementing them.
firkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:48 PM   #14
Wumpspawner
Manshoon

Dragons are beautiful creatures. Fighting them gives you the best opportunities to try out those horridly nasty spells that you never use. Like everyone has said, lower his resistance a few times, cast a greater malison on him (I like keeping a minor spell sequencer with two lower resistances and a greater malison on hand, just for dragons), and hit him with a doom, then use every sick nasty and dangerous spell you can think of, preferably the ones that can potentially cause instant death. And think happy thoughts.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:13 AM   #15
firkrag
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I did it by golly!! Talk about using your "Wizard Eye" as a powerful companion!! Yes yes, its 3 in the morning but I finally did it. Wizard eye is indestructible, so, I turned the dragon around as he attacked the indestructible "Wizard Eye" courtesy of Nalia, then took away his protections. Finally, a full assault!! He was so fixed on killing the unkillable "Wizard Eye" that he was a sitting duck, even for Mazzy (That cute little warrior tank)!! Now I have a nice, shiny, red dragon suit of armour. Thanks again everyone for all your insight.
firkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:26 AM   #16
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Myrddin L'argenton:
quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
~~ Dundees dragon slaying tactics. here you will find most(if not all) of the tactics i just posted and more!
No one every mentions my tactic but this works. After destroying Conster, just get Jahiera to cast a simple Harm spell, damaging Frikraag's health to 1hp, memorise more than one if it doesn't work. I think it goes through magic resistance though. This tactic definately works so give it a try
[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]See Tactic 5 in the link. About the only tactics not listed in there are the ones involving Time Stop and/or Shapeshift.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:29 AM   #17
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by firkrag:
I did it by golly!! Talk about using your "Wizard Eye" as a powerful companion!! Yes yes, its 3 in the morning but I finally did it.
[img]smile.gif[/img] first time i've smiled this morning - yay!
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:36 AM   #18
Thuram
Dungeon Master

The Conan tactic, hmmm...

Actually that is the best one if you can stand it. Supprisingly I succeeded on the first attempt against the dragon you find in hell. Sure, some Skeleton Warriors helped me and surrounded him, but all the damage was done by my Tenser Transformed Blade.

He went down in seconds. I don't know if I just were very very lucky or if this is (was) only a wanna be dragon. Anyway, I was quite surprised.

Also the shadow dragon went down too easily on the first attempt. Used this time the lower magic resistance tactic. Casted Skull Traps for the damage. Quite powerful with a high level spell caster (bard).

Against the red dragon, either use Skeleton Warriors (all purpose summon) as canon fodder or fire elementals. Fire elementals will love it when it uses his breath weapon.
Thuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:30 AM   #19
Whailor

I went with the so-called Conan tactic. Spells-schmells, who needs 'em. Simply buffed up, AC and resistance and stats buffs, plus some other priestly goodies, basically all chars faces were fully covered with buff icons. Then set everyone around him and attacked. That was the second try, first time I did the buffing part too, but I got him angry through the speech and we came down to blows pretty fast. First time I think it was Yoshi who burned to extra crispy dragon snack, but second time no one died. Some had more scratches then others, but dragon fell and that's that [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2003, 10:00 AM   #20
Merlin from Amber
Manshoon

Dragons are supposed to be powerful beings. They're supposed to fly and burn. And this one here he stays and watches as you're setting his resistance low with your miserable magic resistance spell, harm him and them magic missle him.
Beings who can burn castles and who can ressurect humans are not supposed to end like this and they are not supposed to be manageable to simple spellcraft. Shame on Baldur's Gate 2 because of the dragons.
May I ask you what must happen if a dragon just step over (without wanting it) your mighty sorcerer or fighter hm ? Think a little.
Merlin from Amber is offline   Reply With Quote