Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 04:12 PM   #1
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I think it's strange that while Microsoft is unable to make a stable operating system(Not counting Windows 98 which is quite stable) they're quite good at making stable, non-crashing, good games, I managed to get Mech Commander 2, and it's a pretty good game which hasn't crashed once, while I'm playing that is, as it is now, the game makes my computer lock up, forcing me to reboot it, about 70% of the times which I try to start Mech Commander 2, and, surprisingly, there's no patch for the damn thing, even though it has this "slight" problem, it's funny that, when Microsoft finally manages to make a program which dosen't crash every five minutes while it's running, it crashes 70% of the times you try to start it, sometimes I wish we were still using MS-DOS, a far more stable system than Windows, and you didn't need 5000 different drivers just to run a game, some of the games from back then are better than some of the ones we have today actually, I still complete Betrayal at Krondor(My favorite DOS game) about once a year, where I sit down, make a Boot-Disk, and spend a few days playing nothing else, sometimes I also play some of the games in the Ultima series, what I think would be nice would be if someone remade some of the old DOS games, by allowing them to use some of the new technology, putting voices on some of the characters, improving the graphics and adding an automatic slowdown program to prevent them from running at lightning velocity, but leaving the basic gameplay more or less unchanged, it would allow us to play some of our old favorites without having to spend time making Boot-Disks and locating a usable slowdown program, *sigh* seems as though what started out as me rambling a bit about Microsoft has turned into a bigger rant, I think I'll post it anyway though.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-19-2001, 04:18 PM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Sometimes I too hark back to simpler less complicated gaming days. That's why I've got ZSNES

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 04:23 PM   #3
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I alos have SNES. I spent several months trying to play through Zelda: A Link to the Past. It is still a great game! It becomes very, very difficult in the end, but the plot is very funny, the game-style is great and there are very many puzzles to solve. It's wonderful... although I had to look at the walkthrough in the end, the puzzles are almost impossible at the end!

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-19-2001, 04:46 PM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Totally agree, some of these 16 bit games are still awesome today. Secret of Mana, Zelda, 7th Saga...........

Oh, and just to be clear, it's the ZSNES emulator, not a SNES that I have . And, of course, I would never advocate the downloading of 16 bit game ROMs....absolutely not.......not under any circumstances..........

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-19-2001).]