Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2001, 04:11 AM   #1
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I was thinking that it would be a nice combo--you can use Short Bows, you get the full 25 Thieving points per level, you don't need the Backstab damage because you're not going to melee that often, and extra AC never hurts, especially on a Mage. But since you only gain 1 point of AC bonus for every 5 levels, will it even make that much difference, since you've got to Dual reasonably soon if you want to be a good Mage? Sure, so you can Dual at Level 25 and get +5s to your AC, THAC0 and Damage, but isn't a Fighter->Mage with a Bow a whole lot better, even without the Thieving skills that a Swashbuckler->MAge would have?
Old 12-13-2001, 04:17 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

People use dualclassed Swashbuckler->Mages because they want a Mage that can Lockpick and Detect/Disarm Traps. Any melee ability or AC bonus is an added bonus.

The usual level to dual to is level 15.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 04:22 AM   #3
StormCast
Dungeon Master

Would be nice to duel after u get use any items, the problem is to get ur mage over that lvl, but think of it... A mage with alll the eq he wonts. there u got something dangerous
Three Rings for the elven kings under the sky,<br />Seven for the dvarf lords in their halls of stone,<br />Nine for mortal men doomed to die,<br />And One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,<br />In the lands of Mordor where the shadows lie.<p>One Ring to rule them all,<br />One Ring to find them,<br />One ring to bring them all,<br />And in the darkness bind them.<br />In the lands of Mordor where the shadows lie.<p><br />StormCast
StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 03:23 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yeah, Thieving skills and Use Any Item are indeed great bonuses to a character, but.....a Fighter->Mage with 5 stars in Bow and a great THAC0 just dishes out so much more ass-whoopin'. In my Multiplayer party, I've already got an Assassin->Fighter (for the Backstab From Hell) and an Elven Mage/Thief (great backup character), so I don't really need another Thief.....but, as I said, a Swashbuckler->Mage has better AC than a Fighter->Mage, but the Fighter->Mage is a carnage machine, and can also slap his Plate back on for a quick melee.

Personally, I think the Swashbuckler->Mage is a better character in general, but the Fighter->Mage would be better for my party.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:45 PM   #5
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

lol, I loved my swashbuckler mage... Although not getting the extra attacks per round with ** really stinks. Oh well. Very powerful solo character, and easy to use.
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 02:18 AM   #6
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

swashbuckler mages are great. they can hit better, and have a better ac. no backstab? big deal.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:34 PM   #7
Nifft the Nimble

Swash/Mages get to use one very fun Blade trick, too, which is the infamous Melf's Minute Meteors Off-Hand Weapon Trick. Basically you put several *s in Two-Weapon Style (Swash gets up to 3!), equip a powerful weapon in your off-hand (Zerth Blade would be my choice), cast MMM and start tossing them. Every 3rd attack will be a free ranged applicaiton of the weapon in your off-hand -- conserve on meteors, use that powerful weapon with Strength bonus.

Finally, your damage bonus will apply to the MMMs you toss, so the Swash has a greater average damage with these very powerful missiles.

Swash/Mages are just plain good. Too bad no-one thought to make Nalia one.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #8
St. Thomas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know this isn't very helpful, but Saemon Havarian is a swashbuckler/mage (12/14)... Extra points for the coolness factor, yes?