Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

1. How does one access the ability to repair a sword, armor, etc.? Or, where does one go to get armor, weapons, etc. repaired?

2. I have read that the only way one can increase endurance is to use heavy, medium, and spear skills. In other words, one must push endurance by using either wearing this armor or utilizing spears. Otherwise, every time you level up the most hit points you can can get is up to 4. Is this true? How does one go about increasing endurance?

3. I bought and found some scrolls. a) How do I utilize/cast such spells?, and b)Can you have them in your permanent list of spells so you don't have to keep buying scrolls? If so, how does this work?

4. What is the best places to store items until you need them? Is theft a big problem with your stored items?

Thanks, until next time.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
1. How does one access the ability to repair a sword, armor, etc.? Or, where does one go to get armor, weapons, etc. repaired?
You can repair weapons and armour yourself, or get someone to do it for you. To get it done for you, go to any weaponsmith or armourer, and click on 'repair' under 'barter' while in a conversation with them. Then just click on whatever piece you want repaired. However I think it's better to do it yourself, as you get experience and skill points and ultimately levels. To do it yourself, you need some repair equipment, which you buy from armourers/weaponsmiths - either repair drongs, or armourers' hammers which have varying levels of quality from apprentice to grandmaster, like lockpicks and alchemy equipment and so on. Then to repair something, go to your inventory screen and pick up a hammer or drongs and place it on your paper doll, which will bring up all the items that you can repair. Depending on your armourer skill and the quality of the hammer you will either succeed or not. I'm not sure whether you can break equipment if you have really low skills. I never did but perhaps I was just good at it.

Quote:
2. I have read that the only way one can increase endurance is to use heavy, medium, and spear skills. In other words, one must push endurance by using either wearing this armor or utilizing spears. Otherwise, every time you level up the most hit points you can can get is up to 4. Is this true? How does one go about increasing endurance?
All attributes are raised by getting skill points in skills governed by that attribute then adding points when you level up - for endurance it is as you say medium and heavy armour and spear, for strength it is blunt weapon, long blade, armourer etc, for intelligence enchant, conjuration, alchemy. The number of points you can add at level up depends on how much you increased your skills since your last elvel up. If you don't use any of those skills you can get training in them to increase your endurance. Of course if you haven't raised those skills and you level up, you can always just increase endurance by one if you want to.

Quote:
3. I bought and found some scrolls. a) How do I utilize/cast such spells?, and b)Can you have them in your permanent list of spells so you don't have to keep buying scrolls? If so, how does this work?
Right click and look in the bottom right box. The first list, in yellow, are the spells you know and can cast using your magicka store. Under that, in white, are all your magic items that you can cast spells from and your scrolls. Your scrolls will be called 'scroll of ...' so you know which ones they are. To cast just left click on one then cast as you would a normal spell (ie press R and then mouse button wherever you want to cast it). You can't learn spells from scrolls, but you can buy spells from mages, for example in the mages guild. Talk to a mage and click on 'spells', or 'spellmaking' if you wish to make a custom spell out of a spell you already know (for example, a more powerful version).

Quote:
4. What is the best places to store items until you need them? Is theft a big problem with your stored items?
You can put items in boxes/barrels etc outside in towns, though sometimes it will upset the guards if they see you taking them out again - check before you save and leave . I found the boxes outside the mages guild in Balmora was a good place to leave things. No one will steal them. You also may be able to 'appropiate' a house in a number of the towns if the resident is killed . Don't put your stuff in guild halls. They get very upset when you go to take your things again.

Hope that all helps [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-01-2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Aelia Jusa ]
Old 06-01-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
Greystone
The Magister

Well, I can't answer everything (I'm kinda new to this game, too), but here is what I do know:

1) There are two ways to repair items: fix it yourself or have it repaired. To fix it yourself, you need an apprentice/journeyman/etc armorer's hammer; in your inventory, select this item and click it on your character on the left of your inventory screen. This will activate a list of items that can be repaired, then simply select from the list and it rolls to see if your skill is high enough (you either successfully repair some damage or fail). You can obtain such hammers from various shops, as well as a set of them from the chest in the warrior's guild in Balmora (join guild, then access the chest in the main hallway). To have someone repair items, simply select repair from the list of options when talking to them (persuade, barter, spells, repair, etc.). Only certain people can repair items, the easiest to find is in Balmora, when you arrive by "flea-back" simply go down the stairs, enter the building immediately in front of you, speak to the guy to your left as soon as you enter the building. He also sells repair equipment, if you prefer to do it yourself.

2) To increase attributes, you must increase their corresponding skills and then spend the attribute points you receive at level-up. You can increase skills either by using them (they gradually go up as they are used) or by paying someone to train you in that particular skill (which results in an immediate increase of 1 point for each training session). Note that at level-up you receive 3 attribute points to spend; with no skill increases in endurance-based skills, you can only get 1 point increase in endurance. However, by improving these skills, you can obtain up to a 5x multiplier, so your 1 point spent in endurance nets you a 5 point increase in that attribute. Each skill increase yields 1/2x multiplier for its corresponding attribute, so 10 increases in endurance-based skills will give the maximum 5x multiplier for this attribute. If this is unclear, just gain your first level-up and you will understand much better.

3) Haven't used scrolls yet, but know that they are single-use items. To have the spell available for further use, you have to either purchase the actual spell from someone (talk to people in the mage's guild, select "spells" from the options) or else create a spell if you cannot find the one you need (certain people offer this as another option when you speak to them).

4) Very little experience with this myself, will defer to wiser souls for this point.

Hope you have fun with this great game!

--Greystone
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:56 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
The #1 all time best place to store your stuff is. . . . .
IN the Middle of any street. You can create your own collective pile of stuff in any street. The only person, surprising though it may seem, that actually picks up ANYTHING usable in the game is you. Just be sure to remember where you dropped your stuff. So pick one town, one location and always use that area. I do not advocate the use of containment units such as boxes as they can only hold so much and you always have to hunt down the right one out of a stack. So the middle of a street works best as long as you remember which street which town. (not too hard actually)
To sum it all up: "Morrowind is your litter basket; drop your junk anywhere you like. No one else in the game really cares."

On all the others points previous posters were 100% on the dot to my knowledge.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:19 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
LOL Firestorm. I have a lovely pile of ebony armour outside the temple in Mournhold just waiting for me to get around to collecting it . I dunno though. From a roleplaying perspective leaving stuff in the street just doesn't really do it for me [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 11:26 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Aelia, Albromor only asked where the best place to store his stuff was. He didn't specify if it was from an RP perspective, or just in general.

However, should you decide to join one of the Great houses. Your stronghold would instantly become one of the best places for storage. Well, once you had it built that is. Since you own the place, no one will complain when you pull stuff in and out of containers.

[ 06-01-2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:59 PM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Once again, thanks to everybody who replied. I am so used to playing AD&D RPGs that the system for Morrowind takes some getting used to. Little by little I am learning more and more. I am now in Balmora at the moment. This world is massive in scope!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:31 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Of course you could always download a few houses of your own. That way you won't have to stuff your junk in other people's barrels and chests anymore.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

I usually use the house with the murderscene in Balmora. Lots of space there to unload your stuff.

The strongholds are nice but why do they have to build them out in the middle of nowhere.

If only they had a guild guide...

C