Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #1
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i've just started a new game with a gnomish kensai - for some reason (although i blame hanging around here too much ) i've written a character background piece for him - i'd have done it anyway so don't feel too bad for me if you don't like it and bandwidth is so cheap these days . . .

Retik was always a boisterous child. Although he grew up among the books of Candlekeep he was unsuited to study his natural strength and dexterity meant sparring and adventure were his main interests. His days were spent practicing fighting with the Watchers - honing his skills with the short swords and flails favoured by the gnomish warrior heroes of his imagination rather than the broadswords of his adoptive companions. His long hours of practice were more due to the sheer enjoyment of exercise than any particular dedication though. His love of mischief and adventure was well known throughout the keep and it was only his ready charm, and the silent authority of Gorion, that had prevented serious punishment for some of his escapades. Although Retik has long since left Candlekeep and grown considerably in skill and experience, one event stands out as the defining moment of his career and, possibly, his life.

It started while he was running an errand to the library for Gorion. Making for the library stairs, Retik was struck by the sight of an old human warrior silently contemplating a book in one of the many alcoves. The man had long grey hair tied back into a braid and seemed calm and peaceful - more like one of Candlekeep's monks than the warriors Retik had seen guesting in the keep before. Moving forward to take a better look at the stranger, Retik noticed two scabbarded swords on the ground next to the kneeling man, one longer than the Watchers' longswords, the other shorter although still longer than the short swords he used in practice. Both swords were gently curved and looked very well used.

Glancing up from the weapons Retik realised with a start that the man had turned from his reading and was regarding the young gnome with an amused, indulgent look. “You must be Retik”, he said, “It is a pleasure to meet you”. His usual lighthearted manner tempered by the presence of the stranger, Retik mumbled in acknowledgement and shifted nervously from one foot to another. “I am sorry,” said the stranger “I did not mean to disturb you. I am Musashi. I count myself a friend of Gorion and it was he who told me of you.” The man’s smile broadened. “I hear you are something of a warrior. Would you care to practice?” Without waiting for a reply he picked up his swords and walked swiftly towards the library exit while Retik rushed to follow.

Emerging into the sunshine of the outer keep, Retik saw Musashi talking to the Gate Warden. The strange warrior turned to face Retik. “Right my young friend. Draw you sword and we’ll see what you have learned”. “I haven’t got my own sword,” Retik explained, “I always borrow one from Hull the Watcher. Can’t I use one of yours?” Musashi frowned for the first time since they had met. “No”, he responded simply, “you cannot. Go and fetch a sword”. Sensing an opportunity that he would be foolish to miss Retik ran to the barracks and returned only moments later breathing heavily and clutching the blunted short sword he used in sparring.

Musashi wedged his two swords into his belt and took a position between the inner and outer walls and regarded the young gnome. He thought of all that Gorion had told him of the youngster’s heritage and wondered at what the future held for Retik. Shaking his head to clear it of such speculation he nodded and said, “I am ready”. Retik approached cautiously holding his sword loosely in front of him. He knew from experience that against a longer blade he would have to get inside his opponents guard but he was good at that and his small size often an advantage against his larger opponents. With a speed that would have surprised an onlooker Retik dipped and lunged forward towards Musashi with the point of his sword aiming for the man’s stomach. At the last moment his opponent turned his body aside, easily avoiding the thrust. Retik turned his head to see the older man standing a sword’s length away on his right side. He still had not drawn either of his two swords. “Good. Again”. Although he had been startled by the speed of the man this was familiar ground for Retik and he felt the joy of competition surging through him as he flew at Musashi stabbing and swinging at his constantly retreating, constantly circling foe but all of his strokes fell short and soon he was bent over, breathing heavily and leaning on his sword as he tried to recover from his futile exertions.

Musahi’s voice suggested no hint of tiredness as he spoke. “You are strong and you are nimble but you are slow. You have spent too much time in drills with the armoured men of this place. They are good men in their way but theirs is not the only way. You will eventually meet opponents from whom a suit of metal will not protect you. Opponents who will strike through your armour to knock you down, opponents who do not even need to touch you to kill your or madden you where you stand. Against such as these your defence is to destroy them and destroy them quickly.” The older warrior paused as if to contemplate what to say next. “It is not for me to be your teacher. Besides, I know little of the style of blade you use and, if I am any judge, you are as skilled in its use as many more experienced warriors. No, you should continue to train your body but more important is the mind. Gorion tells me that you are not keen on studies. That should change. I will direct you to works in the library that might help to explain and I will attempt to enlist some of the monks in your education. Some are mere librarians, as I’m sure you think them all, but some are very much more and with their help you may achieve the necessary focus.”

Retik stared at this mysterious warrior. His mind raced as he tried to absorb all that he was being told. Opponents? What had he to fear in Candlekeep? What did Musashi mean? Why would he want to destroy anyone? Of course while sparring his imagination had transformed his partners into dark knights and monsters but it was all part of the game. Musashi smiled at the confused young gnome and his tone became reassuring as he said, “Do not worry. I am sure you will be equal to any challenges you face. But,” and at this point his tone again became serious and earnest, “now is the time to be serious”. He fixed Retik with his gaze until he saw a mute nod of acknowledgement at which he smiled. “Good. Then let us return to the library my young friend and begin your education.”
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I enjoyed reading the story. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Good work! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:17 AM   #3
Yanez
Manshoon

Great background story!
It perfectly explains why and how would a young gnomish fighter, born somewhere in western Faerun, choose his path as a kensai.
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:26 AM   #4
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Maybe this would be a good thread to start explaining some of our favorite characters and their backgrounds.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Creating a background story for my chars would be a severe punishment for me: I change it every other hour
Old 07-25-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
The Offspring of Viconia and Edwin
The Magister

My character sudeenly appeared from nowhere, as I didn't play BG1, unfortunately. 'Found in a ditch next to a supermarket, Dave, son of Edwin, was less than 2 feet tall, smelled of onions, talked Irish, and constantly cast Stinking Cloud for no apparent reason' - Part of my biography.
The Offspring of Viconia and Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:23 PM   #7
Sythe
Ra

Amazing story I hope you will write more of these Armen.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:39 PM   #8
Dadams1
Drow Warrior

Very very nice. I would have liked to hear more about how he actually studied to become a Kensai, but wonderful job either way.