Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2002, 07:32 AM   #71
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
why? to be honest, if Donut and Melusine and all the others had a problem with particular threads they should have messged the MODS, not post a nonsense thread that could create a schism between Ironworks members

i have NOT seen people posting purely for ranks. Yes, there have been one/two posts and so forth and I agree there are too many of those, but otherwise people are just having fun

If we took Donut's posts for instance (sorry but you startedd this thread old boy) what has he posted? football and digs at other members. whoopee!!!
As you can see from the replies many people agree with me. As for the quality of my posts - that's not for me to comment on.

If people can't think of anything original, interesting or funny to post then continue to post drivel. It's certainly easier than using their brains, most people grow out of it eventually.

If you read my original post you'll see that I haven't said that the drivel threads should stop - merely that they be kept out of General Discussion.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-25-2002, 07:34 AM   #72
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I agree entirely with Moni.
Since Z has the final say in everything here, let`s just wait and see what he says about this.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:34 AM   #73
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
I find myself agreeing with LS.

I would also like to point out, in addition, that if you do not like what is being posted, you're fully capable of posting "in the spirit of the good old Ironworks" yourselves.
I understand that but I'll say it once again. Threads are dropping out of GD faster than you can read them because of the drivel threads.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-25-2002, 07:36 AM   #74
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
As you can see from the replies many people agree with me. As for the quality of my posts - that's not for me to comment on.
Many? After a swift count it seems to be about 7 or 8. Not counting you.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:37 AM   #75
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
quote:

I would also like to point out, in addition, that if you do not like what is being posted, you're fully capable of posting "in the spirit of the good old Ironworks" yourselves.
I understand that but I'll say it once again. Threads are dropping out of GD faster than you can read them because of the drivel threads. [/QUOTE]Well, if they're active they keep the to the top. If they're dead they drop out like they would even without "drivel" threads. But remember that everything is relative. Drivel to you, fun to us. Do you want us calling your footy threads drivel and complain about how they push other topics off of the 1st GD page?
Old 08-25-2002, 07:38 AM   #76
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
Many? After a swift count it seems to be about 7 or 8. Not counting you.[/QUOTE]And at least 3 times that actually USED the "drivel" threads for the fuun they were intended

and maybe the "decent" threasd went off page because not many people were even interested in them? was that ever considered?

Old 08-25-2002, 07:39 AM   #77
Moni

Quote:
quote:
I haven't read many of the threads initially pointed out in this thread because their titles make them appear to be intended for "spam" or I just wasn't interested. Yes, I've poseted in a couple of them and my posts were as spammy as the rest but that was the point of those threads, to have a little very-non-serious fun and there is nothing wrong with that provided it doesn't get out of hand.
Moni, marry me!!! LOL!!!

you have just stated the whole purpose of the "spam" threads. To be posted in when people feel like HAVING some fun

and yes, I agree that spamming away from a thread topic is insensitive and somewhat disrespectful. I try my best not to do such things [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]If I married you would I have to become a Brit? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well, actually that might be OK...it would give me an excuse for my own brand of brashness lol.

Yes, I thought some "spammish fun" was allowed here. I think if it wasn't then *Poke* would have been shot down before it ever made a second thread. Its not like the Mods haven't seen any GD's contents lately.

Old 08-25-2002, 07:45 AM   #78
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

You can accuse me of poor counting - but I can only see four posts out of 35 on the main page that could be considered "spam".

And we're getting too much of it, you say? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 07:49 AM   #79
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
quote:

I understand that but I'll say it once again. Threads are dropping out of GD faster than you can read them because of the drivel threads. [/QUOTE]Well, if they're active they keep the to the top. If they're dead they drop out like they would even without "drivel" threads. But remember that everything is relative. Drivel to you, fun to us. Do you want us calling your footy threads drivel and complain about how they push other topics off of the 1st GD page?[/QUOTE]One football thread in the past week Neb. As I said I'll let others decide if my posts have any value. It's certainly easier to post the drivel than to think. I can understand why the spam posts are so popular.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:49 AM   #80
Legolas
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
why? to be honest, if Donut and Melusine and all the others had a problem with particular threads they should have messged the MODS, not post a nonsense thread that could create a schism between Ironworks members

i have NOT seen people posting purely for ranks. Yes, there have been one/two posts and so forth and I agree there are too many of those, but otherwise people are just having fun

If we took Donut's posts for instance (sorry but you startedd this thread old boy) what has he posted? football and digs at other members. whoopee!!!

If people can't think of anything original, interesting or funny to post then continue to post drivel. It's certainly easier than using their brains, most people grow out of it eventually.

If you read my original post you'll see that I haven't said that the drivel threads should stop - merely that they be kept out of General Discussion.
[/QUOTE]Yes, those nine members do represent about 97% of all members' opinions. Please excuse my sarcasm. There are also 'many' people here not agreeing with you.
Personally, I experienced something much like I imagine you did at the time of the football world championships. All those posts on football were pushing the other posts from the front page, yet noone suggested a sports forum. To me, THAT was drivel. People running after a ball and kicking it away almost as soon as they had it? And one can actually go on and on about it?
I'm not saying the "spam" posts are of high quality, but I know for a fact that a lot of people were thoroughly enjoying themselves posting there. And that had nothing to do with ranks.

Also, you've just stated a very good reason not to forbid it; you outgrow it.
Ironworks has periods of extreme seriousness, periods of fun and periods of football. That's just the way it is. It goes away with time and leaves many people happier or wiser.
Now, if there was actually any 'bad' spam (the poke thread may approach it, I don't know as I'm not following that one), there was a need to call a halt to it. Not by shouting stop very loudly, but by letting one of the moderators know your opinion and trusting his/her judgement on the matter.

As for the 'good' posts dropping to page 2, I believe that others already worded that quite nicely.