Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #21
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Chani listened to Deiter's story silently, not even daring to look at him for fear of the pain it would cause. Though she heard his words, comprehended and catologued their meaning, she could not help but be lost in her own thoughts. Could she really claim to love this man sitting beside her? After all these years? She knew he would soon be dissapointed to find she was not quite the same person he left behind. Her thin shoulders heaved and her brow furrowed as she stared forward at nothing in particular.

Shame clouded her heart. He had suffered so much, been through Hell, and still he had remembered her. He'd come back to her. He'd still kept his love for her safe. And all these years, she had barely even let herself remember his face, much less any feelings for him. She looked down at her boney fingers entwined in his and felt tears spring to her eyes. Had she really failed him?

Her free hand tugged at her hair nervously. She squeezed his hand weakly, but she couldn't look at him anymore.
Killing Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #22
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You do not know how much you tempt me with your words. She blinked away her tears as she tried to return his gaze levelly, but her breath was turning as erratic as her heartbeat at his touch.

Why was she so happy? That here was a man who would go through fire and water for her peace of mind? Why then were her cheeks scalding so badly? As she continued to tremble in his presence, the answer slapped her across the cheeks in abandon.

You already have a man who would do that, Mistral. Your wedded husband. The word 'husband' reverberated within her so violently that she thought she would collapse with guilt. You don't need this one, the one you've left Ravenwood with. The enormity of the situation sunk its fangs into her soul. You're nothing but a woman with loose morals, and the worst kind of traitor to that faithful husband of yours...

With a gasp, she disentangled herself from his arms and a sob escaped her lips.

"There isn't... anything you can do... for me." Then, as she perceived his hurt expression, she blurted. "Not right now, anyway... and it's not you, it's me... I'm the problem."

Staggering backward, she turned and ran as swiftly as her legs could carry her.

[ 06-28-2006, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #23
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Deiter watched her look away from him, pain clearly showing on his face. "Chani..." He let go of her hands to brush away the tears from her eyes. "I know these past years had to be hard on you as well." He pushed back his stool and hugged her again, wanting to reassure her. "I would very much like to catch up with you." Before he could finish saying anymore, early risers of the tavern started to awake, making their way downstairs.

"Maybe we should get away from here." He commented softly enough for only her to hear as he watched two patrons make their way downstairs.
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #24
mistral4543

As the skies above faded from their dusky blue to the achingly beautiful palette that only a hopeful dawn could bring, she strolled past the half-asleep guards and took a moment to survey the scene before her.

Athklata, land of the riches. And it had long been rumoured, uncountable evils. Looking around, she could see clearly enough the snares that might have entrapped a newbie to the scene... and her hand strayed to the silver chain which hung comfortingly against her skin. Peering down, she examined the little golden tree wrapped with intricate coils of silver and ebony. The silly boy. She smiled to herself almost wistfully as she fingered the coils and then tucked her jewellery safely under her tunic.

Already, she was carrying three momentos with her. Not bad for an orphan three times over. The smile turned wry and sighing, she tilted her head, absorbing as much of the blessings the gods could afford her on this day.

The One-Eyed Wolf, the letter had mentioned. Well, with a weird name like that, it would not be too difficult to hunt it down. Drawing a deep breath, she continued to saunter forward, peering at the various signboards and checking each word carefully so that she did not miss the tavern unwittingly.

At length, just when she was ready to take a breather from her search, and escape from the increasing heat, she found herself leaning against crusty windowpane and staring almost defiantly at the passers-by, who seemed to be whispering among themselves. Somewhat disturbed, she glanced around and caught sight of a slightly swaying sign which seemed to be mocking either her total want of awareness, or utter stupidity.

She was here, at last.

[ 06-29-2006, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
Old 06-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #25
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Arrakis merely watched as Mistral ran off into the night. He didn't know why she had run, or where she would go, or if she would be safe in even the first leg of her journey. But he did know one thing. He could not follow her. Without words or even intentions, she had given him the key to her peace, and that was not in her footsteps. His hand drifted to the sword hilt at his side. He would find the new inheritent of the sword, and set Mistral free.

Chani shuddered inwardly as she was accosted on all sides by people that needed her attention. Deiter's pleading glances, the curious looks of her customers, some girl at the door staring at the sign like an idiot. Hadn't she been ready to leave everything behind just shortly before? Hadn't she wanted to start life anew? Forget any of this had ever happened. Yes. Yes, that was what she had planned on. Without addressing her customers or her former lover, Chani launched herself from her seat and stormed to the door, heading down the street at a quick paced walk, her entire body tense and her eyes feeling as though they could just pop out of her skull in exasperation.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #26
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Deiter was startled as Chani suddenly stormed out of the tavern. This is probably all too much for her... He wasn't about to let her go though as he ran out of the tavern after her. "Chani!" She appeared to be ignoring him as he continued after her. He managed to out run her and gripped her shoulders, forcing her to stop. "I know this is a lot, and I can tell the tavern life has become too much for you... but you need to calm down."

Gently lifting her chin up, he looked at her, going past her barriers and realizing she was as broken as he was in what they had gone through the past four years. "We should leave this city together. I want to help you Chani… and be with you..." He said the last part barely above a whisper. There they were, facing each other in the street as people gave them curious glances and scowls of disapproval as they went about their daily business. Deiter didn't notice any of it. All he saw was the woman in front of him.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #27
mistral4543

It was true, what they said about instinct. As the shovelling and miffed cries emerged from the swinging doors of the tavern, she spun around in time just to catch sight of a figure sprint-walking as it were, down the streets in another direction. There was something about that gait which spoke volumes...

She's the one I have to talk to.

Jolting herself into action, she too began tearing down the path, sidling past bulky street citizens and gruff merchants where she needed to. In the distance, she could see that her target was being chased by another male figure... both elusive heads continued to bop and down, half-disappearing from her line of vision.

Damn it, why's she in such a rush anyway? And the answer came to her, almost instantaneously. She's trying to avoid him, of course... lover's tiff.

Half smirking, she pushed ahead but the human - no, multi-racial - tide proved its superiority in the end. Cursing softly, she halted in her pursuit when she saw that it was all in vain.

The two figures were nowhere to be seen.

[ 06-28-2006, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
Old 06-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #28
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

It seemed like at least a hundred voices were screaming in Chani's mind at once, the cadence of her pulse in her ears unifying them in a horrific orchestra. Every idea had merit, every option deserved consideration, every thought deserved to be reviewed, but altogether it was too complicated to even acknowledge.

Those eyes and those arms, they weren't even a comfort right now. They were a summation of the past four years in one brilliant flash. She barely contained a scoff as he said the tavern life. He had no idea the things she'd done, the trouble she'd gotten into without him, or Mistral, or Arrakis. She hadn't been strong or clever enough to protect herself. Here he was, in front of her, integrity perfectly in tact, and she had nothing to say to him but things she'd rather not mention. She hated her reflection in those eyes.

She was leaving this place, one way or the other, and if he was going to follow her, she probably couldn't stop him. She could try to dissuade him though, before he got too wrapped up and hurt. "Deiter, I don't think you realize what you're asking for. It's just... It's just..." She avoided eye contact with him, and sighed heavily. "You're four years late to be with your Chani."
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #29
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Deiter was completely crushed. She doesn't want to be with me... The realization of it left him feeling so alone that he could only stare blankly at her. He didn't trust himself to speak, but he attempted anyway. "Do you know... all these four years... you never left my mind? I tried Chani. I tried to come back to you but I was always dragged back." The various scars across his body were proof enough at how many times he tried. "My memories were taken from me after my time there with him grew on. Your face would always appear in my mind, but I couldn't name who you were. Whenever I thought of my memories convulsions would take over to prevent me from it. I would try as long as I could against it just to see your face..." Deiter was shaking now. "You mean everything to me Chani... I don't know what else to say."
Old 06-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #30
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Chani grimaced sorrowfully as Deiter broke down before her eyes. "I wish I could be that person you remember, Deiter. I really do." She yearned to console him, but at the same time shied away from even being there. The mixed emotions were almost too much to bear. She looked down at the ground, her hair falling into her eyes. "You deserve to have the person you loved all those years ago, Deiter. I'm not her anymore." She looked back up, a heartbroken look on her face. Tears began to flow down her cheeks, and she quickly swept them aside with the back of her hand. "I'm so sorry."