Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 05:18 PM   #21
Andraste
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
I disagree. Nalia will have more XP that Imoen, and will be a better mage. This really doesn't matter if you have ToB installed though. With ToB, and of the mages, including Aerie and Jan will all have so many spells to cast. Since spell power caps out, you're probably better off using multiclassed mages.
Not if you (to quote six) 'haul ass for Imoen'. It may have been due to one of the mods I was running, but I've even managed to pick her up with more XPs than anyone else.

bigger spoiler
and if you take her through to TOB, don't forget that Imoen starts to get a boost from daddy's powers.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:01 PM   #22
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
I don't think it requires any mods. I just checked a save of my all sorcs game. I found that it's possible to have 20,000 by the time you leave the Promenade and meet Galean the first time. It just requires that you sell off almost all the items you get in the Dungeon and from Mencar/Circus. I didn't have a high rep either (true neutral main char).

If you talk to Galaen with 20K in hand, there is an option to say: "Very well, here it is." Then you get the standard referral to Aran, followed by the --deal is struck narration...send deviants to Spellhold vid...immediately followed by the end of Ch 2 narration and the Irenicus gets loose vid. Rather amusing to have them squashed together.

Of course, you could also put Gaelan off at first, walk around until you trigger the counter-offer and the discount speeches, and save 5000.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:44 AM   #23
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

If you pick up Nalia ASAP, and "haul ass" for Imoen, Nalia will still have more XP as a mage.

I've tried it. I'm an expert ass-hauler. I've even gotten the money to go to spellhold with that cheesey steal/sell tactic right out of the dungeon, completed Aran's quests, and left immediately. And Imoen was a lower level than Nalia. Hey, try it yourself, maybe you'll get a different result. I don't play with any mods that would change Imoen's experience levels though.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #24
Shotgun
Manshoon

Wow, didn't realize my question would illicit this many responses! In the end, I did decide to go with Aerie, although I could still go back and redo (just started Spellhold). I like the idea of possibly dumping Jan, but I don't think I'll take Imoen because her whining annoys me, too. Why is it that so many of these characters are frickin' annoying? I'm only a level 9 mage right now, so still have a ways to go. Do you think it's worth it getting rid of Jan just before Spellhold and only going with 5? I've always played with 6 characters.
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #25
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Tip for players not used to Aerie's low CON. Get the Belt of Constitution for her.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:27 AM   #26
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Or just get used to casting stoneskin, mirror image and spirit armor as soon as you wake up.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #27
Western Paladin
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Hey, try it yourself, maybe you'll get a different result.
In my last game I was a fighter / mage (like I usually am) and I had about nine fighter levels and eleven mage levels by the time I got to Imoen. She had 15 mage levels.

Edit: Yoshimo was around level 14, so it might have brought my group's average level up.

[ 07-24-2005, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Western Paladin ]

"We saved the world. I say we party." -- Buffy
Western Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #28
Ilythiiri
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Tip for players not used to Aerie's low CON. Get the Belt of Constitution for her.
You mean the Girdle of Fortitute?
But too bad the effect is not permenant.. cos I always forgot to re-cast it once it expire, although the duration is quite long (8 hours game time)... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #29
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Western Paladin:
quote:
Hey, try it yourself, maybe you'll get a different result.
In my last game I was a fighter / mage (like I usually am) and I had about nine fighter levels and eleven mage levels by the time I got to Imoen. She had 15 mage levels.

Edit: Yoshimo was around level 14, so it might have brought my group's average level up.
[/QUOTE]I don't think it's the levels that determine Imoen's level, I think it's the XP of the party.

Nobody knows for sure, though.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:45 PM   #30
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun:

They're both highly annoying in my opinion, but I find Aerie isn't working for me right now. I prefer her mage skills to her cleric ones, but I would like to have a better cleric. (I'm too good to have Viconia.) Which should I go with? Anomen's level is up with the others, so that's not a problem. Since I'm not romancing Aerie and I and Jan are mages, should I make the switch? Anomen also has the advantage of using that wicked hammer we all know about. What do you think?
it seems to me that you're preferring Anomen -- Aerie is no less annoying, she isn't working for you as of now, you want a better cleric, and you like that wicked hammer...whence the doubt which one you want?

with or without either of them, your party is powerful enough to go through the original game with ease, the tactics one with some labor, and so it's really up to your feeling towards characters and playing style.

I myself a magic addict and for me the choice is obvious, the more mages, the merrier...especially when with Jaheira on my side, the priest spells are more than enough for MY playing style.