Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following people do you know((Estonians)?
Mena Suvari 19 57.58%
Mart Poom 2 6.06%
Arvo Pärt 9 27.27%
Vanilla Ninja 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2004, 09:35 AM   #21
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Hmm this is a good idea. I might do one about Hungarians if you don't mind me stealing the idea, uss [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yeah, let's see how many people know Ferenc Puskas. [/QUOTE]Yeah cos he's the only famous one [img]tongue.gif[/img] he's an important part of footie education don't you know
Old 02-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #22
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Not exactly, that team was loaded with talented players. Besides puskas, there was Kocsis, Hidegkuti, Fazekas, and Toth, just to mention a few. There never was a more talented team in the entire Hungarian history of sports. They failed to win the worldchampionship, but they did win Olympic gold.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:58 AM   #23
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

What do you mean "there never was a more talented team in the entire Hungarian history of sports"?? Don't you mean the entire world history of football? And I was joking about him being the only famous one, hence the [img]tongue.gif[/img] smiley [img]smile.gif[/img]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #24
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Well doh, I wasn't expecting anyone to know the likes of Froukje de Both (I actually met her a few times - she shops at H&M's )

But I'm thinking more along the lines of famous Dutch people from history - Rembrandt, van Gogh, de Spinoza, Huygens, Sweelinck, Anne Frank, van den Vondel, etc.

Edit: sorry for the offtopics, Uss!!!
I *know* 4 of those...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 02-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #25
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

The only one I know is Mart Poom, although I dont actually know him, I've just heard of him
Old 02-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #26
uss
20th Level Warrior

GAAH, DAMN!! I just wrote a very long post, which then got deleted because '8 is the maximum number of images.' I'm not in the mood right now, so I will retype all that s''' later
Old 02-29-2004, 03:43 PM   #27
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
If you just use your back button the post should still be there and you can delete extra smilies. I hate that rule too!

Anyway I only recognized Mena Suvari, however I wouldn't have known she was Estonian so I guess that only counts a bit. Similarly with Mel's list, I recognised most of the names but didn't realise they were Dutch or ever consciously wondered what nationality they were outside from just being European.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #28
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Aelia - there is no such thing as just being European!!!

Non-Europeans will never understand the sheer scale of cultural diversity and the magnitude of the feelings of national pride and sovereignty that exist within such a relatively small space...
I'd venture to say that nowhere else in the world do you get as much diversity, history or culture per sqaure km as in Europe.

[ 02-29-2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 02-29-2004, 04:34 PM   #29
Melusine
Dracolisk

I don't know about that but I agree it's really weird when people lump Europeans together just because of geographical proximity. There's just as much difference between two European countries as between any other two.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #30
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
I'm sorry dude, I only knew Arvo Pärt as well (I'd heard of some of the others, but I didn't know who they were so that doesn't count). I know you take pride in your country and I think you've tested the general knowledge of Estonia on Ironworks before.
Actually yes, I do find myself mentioning Estonia in most of my posts. And I once did ask 'what do you know about Estonia?' in a topic a very long time ago. I'm sorry if they're annoying anybody. I'm just very interested in different cultures and thought that others are also. Besides, this is a good oppritunity to educate others in the knowledge of my possibly soon to be dying country.

Quote:
But for what it's worth, I know the works of Pärt quite well and think he's a great composer. And for brownie points, I know *another* Estonian composer, whose work we're actually singing with my choir right now: Sisask. I don't know any of his works aside from the Gloria Patri hymns we're doing, but I like those a LOT.
Yes, Pärt does his work well. Perpetum Mobile is great [img]smile.gif[/img]

Are you talking about Urmas Sisask? I'm not sure if I have heard any of his music, but I'll look it up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Well, enough apologising - you've probably never heard of many Dutch stars either. And that's OK, just as it's OK not many people will have heard of the people you listed. We can always learn from each other. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Come to think of it, I really can't name a single Dutch star right now. After visiting Holland last summer, the first things that come to mind are Heineken, Marijuana and Red Light District

Yes, we can learn. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm always interested in exciting facts about other cultures, especially if they are Far-Eastern

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
A great idea USS. Mel has actually made me kind of curious as to how well known our Dutch stars really are. Maybe I'll conjure up a similair poll
They are VERY well known.... until you reach the Belgian border. It stops there. Seriously, the status of "star" is being given away a little too easy these days if you ask me. I was reading an article the other day, about who would be the best choice for the part of Lara Croft, and Froukje de Both thought she would be perfect for the part, except she thought, and i quote, "i'll probably don't stand a chance, because they'll be looking for someone with bigger boobs and lips". And i thought "eeeerm.... no Froukje.... you don't stand a chance because you are petty little Dutch soapactress, nobody outside of Holland has ever heard about you OR cares about you".
[/QUOTE]That is the very reason why I asked this in the first place. I read from the newspaper 'New 16 year old super model Tiiu Kuik is gaining popularity and success very quicky and has already become more popular than the world's most successful super model, Carmen Kass.' I thought to myself if Estonian oh-so-famous stars really are that popular.

Ha, I'll cherish the thought that my 'Which of the following people' is the very first one [img]tongue.gif[/img]