Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2001, 11:56 PM   #1
Fly_By_Night66

Hello All,

I recently experienced some trouble with me computer and unfortunatly it died. I was able to save some files prior to the death of said system. Specifically, cache, mpsave, characters, portraits, and data. On a new system I reloaded IWD and the patch but when i put the saved files back on, I get a runtime error in IWMAIN.exe (IDMAIN.exe?). I have tried several ways of reloading oving and patching but nothing seems to work. I can create a new party and save it and then load that up, but the old ones I can't! Can anyone help? I have benn with these characters for months (hours unknown). I was in the middle of the severed hand and was on day 156( so I am not the fastest guy in the world). I would hate to have to loose these characters and start from scratch.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Old 02-04-2001, 02:33 AM   #2
MEKIFF

You may want to try re-installing icewind dale.runtime error sounds like an install problem. It may not have installed properly? not sure but I might start there.
Old 02-04-2001, 11:45 AM   #3
Tathlum

Yeah a reinstall may be the solution, butif you don't want to loose the characters you have made up. Just go to find files and put in C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale©haracters

save that folder to the desktop.
Before you reinstall the game delete your temp files folder, do a scandisk, defrag than reinstall IDW.

Once thats done you can go to find files and type in:
C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale\
open that folder and place your characters folder in it. You will still have your characters.
Hope that does the trick for you
Old 02-04-2001, 11:50 AM   #4
Tathlum

Dunno what happened up there its supposed to be C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale\ characters

That you type into the find files.
Old 02-04-2001, 11:52 PM   #5
Fly_By_Night66

Thanks for the suggestions. If you have anymore let me know. I have tried to re-install it - 6 times. I have started a new game with new characters. I will try the save characters bit so maybe I can a t least use my same characters. We will see.

FBN66
Old 02-05-2001, 05:26 PM   #6
Tathlum

The biggest thing is making sure all the old files are gone. Thats where the scan disk comes in handy, make sure you have it check for file fragments, and delete them. Also deleting the temp file will reduce problems. Of course after preforming that restart to clear the ram and then install.