Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2003, 09:01 AM   #11
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
they might not check everyone out, but as i know someone who was physically pulled out of work by two feds to answer questions just cos he jokily posted how he wanted bush dead (and it was so obviously jokey cos i read the original thread) im pretty certain i know what i believe, its a fact, it happened and i cant imagine hes an isolated case.
Grungi, in the United States, it is against the law to issue threats of any kind against the president or other chief executives, this is not a new law and has been around a long time. Do NOT do it even in jest, it is like "jokingly" telling a stewardess that you have a bomb on board the plane and will get you in trouble every single time.

[ 01-14-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 01-14-2003, 09:05 AM   #12
MagiK

E.D. You may not have heard about Echellon, the system and others scans billions of messages and conversations every day....however if you thinkt he FBI or CIA or the entire government has the man power to skim even a small percentage of those you got to do a reality check man. The computers scan for suspect words, and phrases and then alerts a person to look into it...the filters have to be pretty tight to even keep that manageable.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:08 AM   #13
Grungi
Banned User

yeah but it was blatantly not a threat, i cant remember exactly how it was worded but anyhows plenty of people on this forum have said the same kinda things, as this forum isnt scanned they havent been dragged up, anyhows proper threats thats fair enough, but this blatantly wasnt, wasnt even said in a deadpan way, was said quite clearly on a jokey thread, if you said to a stewardess with a big grin on your face "hey i gotta bomb here" she'd probably laugh (maybe not in the current climate but i think you see my point, its how its said not whats said)

anyhows my point was i know someone that was questioned over it, its all there on fark the whole story, so people who doubt the validity of what the federal government is doing, stop doubting, its hard fact that they do scan forums and emails and is also hard fact that they react on it if not all of the time at least on some occasions.

so btw if it was against the law he could have been arrested for what he said, but he wasnt, suggesting at least the feds who dealt with him had some sense about them and realised it was a joke.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:11 AM   #14
Grungi
Banned User

before anyone says anything i meant SOME forums and SOME emails, its automated first like magik said and only followed up if certain criteria are met, so dont go off at me saying im generalising again [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 09:16 AM   #15
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Fair enough my friend. But theres a major difference between our generation and that of our grandparents. We have a huge wealth of information at our disposal.

Another difference is we dont blindly believe everything the government the feeds us like our grandparents did. "Why would they lie to us??" We dont bite hook line and sinker.

The government has been lying to us for decades. Roswell, JFK and the single shooter. Oswald was a patsy. Agent Orange. They tried to deny that too. The Media exposed them. How many more times will they lie? Probably millions. What about the Wacko in Waco? The Gov tries to maintain that they never fired a shot on the night of the assault. Ive seen the infrared video tapes of the night. They didnt WANT those people coming out alive. There have been too many instances where they tried to cover their own @$$'s. And they supply disinformation because they know the general public either really doesnt care enough to get pissed enough to get involved or that they will be given false information when they try to research it. Just like the crap on the .gov link.
they tell part of the story but nowhere near all of it.

Yes the guy who wrote the article had an aggressive and biased attitude. I would have too if I had written the article.

They change something slowly so as not to alarm the public. Next thing you know it WILL be a police state. Its been heading that way for years. Now they have the "terrorist" excuse to implement it.

10 years is going to make a HUGE difference in what you now call "Freedom."
Old 01-14-2003, 09:34 AM   #16
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

They dont really need "manpower." They have huge computers to do all he scanning for them. They have computers that decipher code. What about all those huge Kray computers that take up entire city blocks? They aren't just capable of making astronomical calculations, they're computers and they can be programmed for specific tasks just like the ones we're on.

I dont recall saying anyone was generalising and if someone mistook me, you have my apologies.

Its just that this subject has been looming and growing for years. Now they admit to doing it.

In the .gov press statement the representative says "we need the help of the local ISP's staff in order to implement this..." yada yada yada.

No they dont. They can install anything on a server any time they want and they know it. The government has the BEST hackers. Thats how they catch the amatuers, and the Pros alike. ISPs wouldnt even have a clue something had been installed on their servers.

Like I said, read BETWEEN he lines and then youll be closer to the real truth. Use your imagination and you probably wont be too far from that truth.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:35 AM   #17
homer
Manshoon

I believe that one of the main points, in the second article, is that the Internet is being used to carry out crimes. Please correct me if I am wrong: cars are used to carry out crimes, a good pair of running shoes are used to carry out crimes, books and libraries are used to carry out crimes, and so on. Dose the government “watch” all of these purchases and places? Probably not.

So, to me, “because it is used to carry out crimes” is not a justifiable reason to put this program into use.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:40 AM   #18
Grungi
Banned User

wasnt meaning you earthdog , was a general statement not aimed at anyone on this thread, just in previous threads i was accused of generalising (i wasnt just didnt make it clear i wasnt) so im making sure people know where i stand so i dont upset anyone [img]tongue.gif[/img]

homer - thats a superb point i havent even considered before, im gonna use that one in future [img]smile.gif[/img] (though i can see some counterarguments to that one)

btw the government DOESNT have the best hackers, the best hackers are independents (but not the ones who do it to criminal end) and the best hackers come from asia, germany, the US and the UK the government does have some very good hackers, way better than the normal kiddies who cause the hacking problems in the first place, but the truly best ones are those who just do it because they can, have no final objective save to be well recognised and "famous"
Old 01-14-2003, 09:43 AM   #19
dragon_lord
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
[QB]The government has been lying to us for decades. Roswell, JFK and the single shooter. Oswald was a patsy. Agent Orange. They tried to deny that too. The Media exposed them. How many more times will they lie? Probably millions. [QB]
You can add the cover up of the slaughter of 4000+ unarmed taliban prisoners in an area called Dasht Leilie (sp?) in the Afghan desert involving American special forces to your list. Just watched a film on SBS exposing it.

I have been hearing alot about this crack down on the net in the US. Microsoft i believe want to place a chip on you motherboard, i cant remember alot of the details. IIRC it did something like this: It will only allow your comp to work with a legit copy of windows and a hardware config defined at manufacture. It also would block any unauthorized material from working (illegal mp3s etc) - by shutting down etc. A list of this unauthorized material would be downloaded every so often. MS/FBI would also have backdoor access to this chip.
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>
Old 01-14-2003, 09:43 AM   #20
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by homer:
I have read the article and I must say I agree with Aragorn the Wise. This dose not sound like impartial reporting.

Incidentally, in the U.S., it has been against the law to threaten the life of the president for quite some time; Well before the Internet came along.
Interesting. In Britain it's against the law to threaten anyone's life!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show