Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2003, 02:52 AM   #11
Borvik
Drow Warrior

I didn't know, that it counts up when you hit the refresh-button???
Old 01-14-2003, 03:51 AM   #12
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Borvik:
I didn't know, that it counts up when you hit the refresh-button???
It doesn't, at least not on DMR and some of the other boards i know.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:13 AM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Since you say theres an update coming and while were on the subject of suggestions and i'll suggest one: What i'd love to see as an added feature on IW is the ability to store your own personal topic list like they do on the Bioware site.

Using Bioware site as an example, when i've just finished posting a question I click 'add this to my topics' above the post and the system stores it for me. So the next time I log in, I click on my 'My topics' link and there I see a list of any threads i've added. This way it helps me keep quick tabs on my posts and saves me drudging through forums and pages just to see if anyone actually answered my question. Plus I also use this to save some interesting/useful threads that I refer to for referance. Really it helps alot and makes the forum more personable.

I know the format in comparison to the Bioware site is a little different but perhaps even having this option in our profiles would be easier to do. That way when people log in they check their profiles for the latest updates.

Hey think about it Cheers!

[ 01-14-2003, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 01-14-2003, 06:36 AM   #14
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
You put the number of replys there to a post. Would it be feasible to put the number of hits? I.e. the number of times it was read.
Donīt worry Arvon! We all read your fabulous jokes. At least I do. As Cloudy said itīs probably a wasted resource; I never look at such stats myself. On the other hand I canīt imagine that people would be trying to promote their own threads like that here on IW. Not with working post indicators.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:41 AM   #15
Arvon
Unicorn

Oh I really don't care one way or the other. It's just that the 3DO site uses this, and I find it interesting. Sometimes when a post show '0' responses there were 20-30 hits. And lets face it some post (mine) don't really solicitate a response.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-14-2003, 10:50 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Since you say theres an update coming and while were on the subject of suggestions and i'll suggest one: What i'd love to see as an added feature on IW is the ability to store your own personal topic list like they do on the Bioware site.

Using Bioware site as an example, when i've just finished posting a question I click 'add this to my topics' above the post and the system stores it for me. So the next time I log in, I click on my 'My topics' link and there I see a list of any threads i've added. This way it helps me keep quick tabs on my posts and saves me drudging through forums and pages just to see if anyone actually answered my question. Plus I also use this to save some interesting/useful threads that I refer to for referance. Really it helps alot and makes the forum more personable.

I know the format in comparison to the Bioware site is a little different but perhaps even having this option in our profiles would be easier to do. That way when people log in they check their profiles for the latest updates.

Hey think about it Cheers!
Now that's a useful feature! I wonder if it takes up a lot of server resources?
I know it would be helpful to people who can only get online for a few hrs a day and often they find a thread they were following has been bumped down a page or two or they can't recall all the titles they were looking at. Very interersting!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 AM   #17
Donut
Jack Burton

I don't think you can read too much into the 'hits' count. From time to time I click on a post with an interesting title and almost at the same time realise that the poster is not someone I find interesting, so I don't bother reading it.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-14-2003, 11:52 AM   #18
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Is there a way to make it check the IPs used? so if you have someone refreshing it or coming back to the thread every once in a while it knows your the same guy who read it 2 days ago or 30 secs ago etc?
Old 01-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #19
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

I've never liked that hits thing.

1) It's inaccurate.
2) It makes me feel bad when I see, say 100 hits but no replies.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:34 PM   #20
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Originally posted by the lurrvley Cloudbringer:

Quote:
I know it would be helpful to people who can only get online for a few hrs a day and often they find a thread they were following has been bumped down a page or two or they can't recall all the titles they were looking at.
Exactly. I can get online anytime I want but for instance if i'm in the middle of a game of NWN's and I wanna know something real quick, I can simply log on, find the info. in no time and start my game again