Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2003, 11:08 AM   #31
Grungi
Banned User

nope, the warders singing is still scarier even than the homosexual sex revelations [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 11:14 AM   #32
Donut
Jack Burton

Things are going from bad to worse. I think the original poster was right. Prisons DON'T work: But at least you can go to bed happy tonight!

Give me the chair anytime

[ 01-14-2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-14-2003, 11:25 AM   #33
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Aaaah! This is nice.. The warden and the criminal get to sing harmony at the weekends. There is hope for the world.
Thats got to be a joke. I'm sorry, but have you looked at some of the peoples descriptions? "Pat has been singing in quartets since 1946, so far he has learnt 10 songs!" I really, really, hope that thats not true. Or at least, if its true, that they don't inflict themselves on other people. Only one of the group professes to be able to read music!
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-14-2003, 11:40 AM   #34
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
That sounds like a joke to me. 1 guard with no weapons and 140 inmates and no bars between them. Errr riiiiight. I can be guillable sometimes but even I don't believe that.
The only guards with weapons are in the towers Vaskez! You can get an emergency response team in about ten minutes or less with the radio. They're armed fairly well, but they're only meant for emergencies. They're supposed to have more guards, but they can't keep anyone employed because of the conditions. The place is a converted mental hospital facility and was only meant for minimum security. I have no clue how that all changed. It's not a joke! Well, I guess it is. It's just not funny!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:44 AM   #35
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Physical Surroundings

While the specifics vary between the two prisons, inmates are basically locked in their cells for at least 23 hours daily. Their concrete enclosures, called "tombs" by some, are approximately 80 square feet and contain a concrete slab bed, desk or table and a sink and toilet. MCF cells have a tiny window and solid doors, while the SHU has no windows and "honey-combed grate" doors which allow in a trickle light. Some SHU cell doors have special plastic covers to prevent inmates from throwing anything out of the cell. Dim lights are kept on around the clock.

The prisons are "cold, hard and austere" writes HRW, with "a dull sameness in design and color." Critics of similar prisons have labeled them "sensory deprivation" facilities. Correctional officers are stationed in raised control rooms which look down on the housing areas. Each "pod", as they're called, contains cells, showers, a recreation area, a medical examining room and counseling room(s). This allows the prison to limit inmate movement. Video cameras and electronically-controlled gates reduce interactions between guards and inmates.

The arrangement of the cells prevents prisoners from seeing one another from their cells. At SHU, the grates in the doors make it easier for men to yell to one another, allowing for minimal communication, though the yelling bounces off the concrete surfaces creating a terrible din. They eat alone from trays distributed to their cells through a small slot by the guards.
OMG!! You mean there are some prisons out there that are acctualy a punishment??We have to put a stop to this immedeately!! These prisoners need internet access and advanced degrees, not jail cells. They were all railroaded by the unfair and racist justice system. All the need is love and guidance, not cold unfeeling walls. Please note rampant use of sarcasm

Quote:
Activists Making Headway

The Northwest Indiana Coalition to Abolish Control Unit Prisons is leading efforts to improve the quality of life for the 400 men in these prisons. Mary Mulligan, a member of the Coalition and activist for prisoner rights, describes their goal as "abolishing control units. We hope what we're doing will keep future control units from coming into existence, both in Indiana and around the country. In the meantime, we're working to make the SHU and MCF more humane."

In a September 27 meeting with IDOC Commissioner Cohn, the Coalition achieved several important agreements, including:

· Increasing recreation time to an hour at the SHU, and offering small group recreation for some inmates.

· Review of disciplinary procedures.

· Liberalizing a number of policies at the SHU to bring them to at least the same level as those mandated for the MCF by the 1994 court agreement.

· Increased access to the law library at both facilities.

However, the IDOC was unwilling to make commitments on the Coalition's requests to prohibit confinement beyond one year in these facilities, better promote rehabilitation, improve the physical facilities and increase interaction among the inmates. Mulligan hopes "that IDOC works with us to address the issues needed to make the prisons more humane and just, and treating all people with dignity." However, she is concerned that IDOC "may attempt to prolong the existing situation," and sees "continuing monitoring and follow-up as a priority" to prevent this.

It is highly unlikely that the increased funding needed to make facilities at the two units more tolerable will be considered in this year's "short session" of the state legislature. Despite some of the gains, Assemblyman Brown remains "disturbed at the racial composition of those in charge versus those incarcerated. There is a need for diversity training and sensitivity training for guards and other personnel." However, he sees little chance of positive legislative action without significant public pressure, given the "dominant attitude to lock them up and throw away the key."

Strong leadership from the IDOC is necessary to stop the sort
Maybe since the activist think these inmates are such swell people they should spend a weekend with them?? I think that every person who runs their mouth about how inmates need to have cable T.V. and special diets should have to take a few inmates home for the weekend.I mean since these convicts deserve such special treatment these activists wont mind showing us all how its done, will they? Maybe their views will change after a few rapeists and murders spend a weekend camped out with them and their families. Maybe no one told these activists that jail is supposed to be a punishment.

IMHO the top quote is the way it should be. It is much safer all the way around. It is kind of hard for prison rape or stabbings or drug dealing to happen if you keep the animals in their cages, so the prisoners will be safe from each other. It will make things safer for guards because they will have limited contact with inmates. It is too bad that a pack of nosey doo gooders is too blinded by a cause to see the logic in it.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:50 AM   #36
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Maybe since the activist think these inmates are such swell people they should spend a weekend with them?? I think that every person who runs their mouth about how inmates need to have cable T.V. and special diets should have to take a few inmates home for the weekend.I mean since these convicts deserve such special treatment these activists wont mind showing us all how its done, will they? Maybe their views will change after a few rapeists and murders spend a weekend camped out with them and their families. Maybe no one told these activists that jail is supposed to be a punishment.

IMHO the top quote is the way it should be. It is much safer all the way around. It is kind of hard for prison rape or stabbings or drug dealing to happen if you keep the animals in their cages, so the prisoners will be safe from each other. It will make things safer for guards because they will have limited contact with inmates. It is too bad that a pack of nosey doo gooders is too blinded by a cause to see the logic in it.
Hunter, I didn't say that prisons should or should not be this way. The point is that people on this board claim that prison is all fun and games. Obviously that's not the case.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-14-2003, 11:55 AM   #37
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I wasnt takeing a shot at you Donut. I am sorry if it seemed that way. My little rant was based on what was behind the link. Not if you agree or disagree with any of it.

[ 01-14-2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]
Old 01-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #38
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Just in case anyone was confused. My brother did quit the job less than two weeks out of training. As far as I know there isn't a union there. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:59 AM   #39
Grungi
Banned User

prisons for punishment ? thought they were holiday camps [img]tongue.gif[/img] , sadly in some countries for certain people prisons are a good life, you get meals, clothed, housed and can choose a number of activities, in countries like the US and UK as per usual human rights f^$£wits seem to think that multiple murderers deserve equal rights with everyone else, IMO in a maximum security prison your not trying to let these people coem back to normal society, your punishing them for their crimes for life, if its for life why do they deserve any kind of nice things? a 4 wall cell, a meal and thats all they deserve, in a minimum security prison then yes it should be a bit more easygoing, with activities and the like because its acheiving a different goal, its trying to reintegrate people into society, but IMO maximum security prisons should be hellholes, just leave them to it, if they kill each other..great stuff keep it up, saves the government doing it. Will that ever happen? ha, no cos of human rights activists with their heads up their own rear ends, they dont even consider the rights of the people who were raped, murdered or mauled that got the criminals locked up in the first place.

Im all for a maximum security prison (only for multiple convicted criminals of heavy crimes, not a single murder or things like that) with guards on the towers, food chucked in from above, strong survive, weak die horribly, leave em all to it, that would certainly put people off committing mass murders, mass raping or the like. Harsh i know but IMO the only way to disuade people from pursuing those kind of activities.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:05 PM   #40
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
It is a medium security prison so I doubt they get murderers there.

They're not all bad, they're just looking for a bit of company! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Have a look at the third one down:

Interests: relationship with Christ, sporting activities, serving the needy, remodeling homes.

Don't respond without first praying and obeying his voice. I don't want money.

It was the remodeling homes bit that got him into trouble...he omits that he forgets to get the owners permission first