Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

As I remember...Thralls and Warden have Yung-Ti mages and Ice/Fire Salamander as their goons in Planar Prison. This time around, in one of my games, I was fighting bunch of Umar Hulks and two Minotaurs...guess it's adjusting to my PC's low level? He's dualing, and so he's lvl 8 mage into Planar Prison. But there are like 10 Umar Hulks...that's not necessarily less difficult to handle than two Yung-Ti mages. Has anyone fight Umar Hulks in Planar Prison, or other type of monsters (besides Yung-Ti mages and Ice/Fire Salanander)?
Old 03-04-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

I haven't, and I've gone in late whenever I wasn't a bard. Do you have any Mods installed?
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have some (not all) Tactics components and the NPCflirt pack installed. That's all. In my other games, I faught the usual mages and Salamanders. So I don't think it's because of mod.

I always go there quite early since there are some nice loots.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
I've gotten the Umber Hulks before and I agree that they can be more of a pain than the mages/salamanders. They hit hard when they connect, and while you can protect yourself from confusion in a variety of ways, the freed thralls don't tend to fare so well.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You've probably got the always tougher spawns part from the tactics mad installed.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:27 AM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

No, Umber Hulks are standard fare for the Planar Prison, I see them there all the time. Of course, from what I hear, a lot of players (especially soloists) make a run for the Prison as quickly as possible, to get the Boots, while I tend to stay closer to the bare minimum of quests required to get me to Spellhold ASAP, and therefore don't even bother with Haer until Chapter 6.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:50 AM   #7
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
. . . you can protect yourself from confusion in a variety of ways
my solo kensai had zero ways to do so at that stage of the game (eek)

(you can exploit the fog of war and the AI to be out of sight when the confusion connects and usually you can just wait it out - not recommended in a no-reloads game of course )
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:34 AM   #8
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
No, Umber Hulks are standard fare for the Planar Prison, I see them there all the time. Of course, from what I hear, a lot of players (especially soloists) make a run for the Prison as quickly as possible, to get the Boots, while I tend to stay closer to the bare minimum of quests required to get me to Spellhold ASAP, and therefore don't even bother with Haer until Chapter 6.
I usually don't bother with that quest until later myself.

But I've never encountered them. Each time I go there, no matter my level, no Umber Hulks. I'm just taking everyone's hope for it.

I do feel a bit jipped, though, since Yaun-Ti Mages are easy to kill with Insect Plague.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:27 AM   #9
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

I would've thought that the Yuan-Ti packs (with mages) is the toughest spawn you can encounter there, since that is what you invariably get with the "Toughest random spawns" mod installed.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
You've probably got the always tougher spawns part from the tactics mad installed.
no, I didn't have that installed, and as someone else pointed out, Umar Hulk seems to be the lesser difficult spwan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
I would've thought that the Yuan-Ti packs (with mages) is the toughest spawn you can encounter there, since that is what you invariably get with the "Toughest random spawns" mod installed.
so, that's the case...and I was right about I fought Umar Hulks this time around because my PC was in a lower than usual lvl...but Six pointed out that he fought Umar Hulks all the time in Chapter 6...I'm confused (affected by Umar Hulk's confuse throw and Yuan-Ti mage's chaos spell [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

[quote]Originally posted by Armen:
Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
. . . you can protect yourself from confusion in a variety of ways
my solo kensai had zero ways to do so at that stage of the game (eek)

(you can exploit the fog of war and the AI to be out of sight when the confusion connects and usually you can just wait it out - not recommended in a no-reloads game of course )
[/QUO

well, if you do one particular side quest before you go to fight against Umar Hulks, you will get certain sword that'll protect your Kensai from confusion. However, there'll be like 4-5 Umar Hulks rush to you all together there, and it's very difficult to do the divide and conquer thing; imo, this will give your Kensai more trouble.