Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2003, 06:56 PM   #11
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Avater the solution is quite simple obey them for a while a little while then starting talking to stuff like it your friends ie stuffed animals socks potted plants etc, when tey ask why tell tehm it because your not allowed out to meet people. I works trusted me.

Seriously though, have you asked them why your not allowed? I mean for safed sure but your staying in side a building with your neigbours and being driven there and back (frankly you should walk). MAybe they don't turst you neigbours or know sound thing about them you don't.. Or then maybe they worried you get into the deep dark underground of badminton what with it drug, orgies and human sacifice. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

Really you only got one choice talk to them get them to explain ther reasons and them blow them out of the water with cold logic. Either that or disabey them and hurt their feelings or obey them and become a hermit.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:56 PM   #12
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'd tell them:

"I'm going out to have some fun. I'm either going playing badminton until 4 am, or I'm going to (insert your local place known for it's rampant drug, alchool and easy girls) until 22:30. You chose."

[ 08-13-2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 08-13-2003, 07:39 PM   #13
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Luvian is only half right. You should just skip the bad mitton and go straight to the bar filled with easy women. Then get drunk and bring home some strange bar girl. In the morning ask them if they would prefer you going out and getting loaded or just playing bad mitton. After all of that they might have a change of heart. Also , look on the bright side if they realy freak out you will have had a night drenched in booze and women, which at 20 aint a bad night at all.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:43 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Listen to your parents and stop whining. Go to bed early and eat your wheaties.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:30 PM   #15
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Definitely talk to them. Trust me, the worst thing you can possibly do is directly contradict their rules anyways. Then you will never win.

Ask them what their opposition is. Tell them about how you are responsible, and will always follow guidelines X, Y and Z. Be understanding, respectful, but also firm about how this is your decision, in the end, and how what you are doing is wholly within your rights. Discuss the rule, the reason for it being there, and how you can (collectively) solve the problem.

Trust me, I have intentionally violated rules far too many times for me to consider it a good way of going about things.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:00 AM   #16
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Sadly, while you live with them I guess it's their rules, however I have to say at the age of 20 their rules are ridiculous.

At 19 I WAS out until 4/5 am drinking, clubbing and bringing girls home. My parents were fine about it, My Mum would always make 2 breakfasts on a Sunday morning, one extra for whoever I'd brought home, ha ha.

Your parents should be delighted they have a responsible person like you as a sibling who doesn't just tell them where the hell they can stick their rules.

Get a flat, that's my advice. I guess parents tend to be more protective of girls as guys can't get pregnant, I'm sure I will be more careful of what my daughter is doing when she's older than with a son.

I suppose the adult approach is to sit down and talk to them, explain why you think it is unfair and ask why they feel you need to be home at this time, in a non confrontational way.

[ 08-14-2003, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]
Old 08-14-2003, 11:03 AM   #17
quietman1920

Sorry for the late post. I feel your pain; I really do. I think that you are being treated as a child...but partly because you are only taking on the responsibilities of a child. Please let me explain.

You are 20 and in Uni but are home on break. Why aren't you working? Surely you have monitary needs that a job would provide and working will get you used to the real world that awaits after Uni. Working also shows your parents that you are not 12. After showing initiative, responsibility, and putting in a hard 40 hour week, you'll be surprised at the amount of slack your working parents will give you regarding use of leisure time.

PS- If my suggestion doesn't work, the money you earn will go a long way toward rent for when you get your own place.

PPS- Are you sure this isn't a little nudge from your parents to 'move you out of the nest'?
Old 08-14-2003, 03:17 PM   #18
Grendal
Manshoon

I dont mean to sound like an old fart Avatar, but if you start taking advice like that given by Azrael, Luvian and the Hunter of Jahanna.....You will have all the freedom you want sooner than expected!
Old 08-14-2003, 04:42 PM   #19
The Offspring of Viconia and Edwin
The Magister

Whatever you do, don't order from Christmas catalogues.

Just some friendly advice.