Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2003, 06:23 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I love making music. Love it. Love it.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-02-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
whacky
Emerald Dragon

I love music and i am going to take it as a subject next year. With regard to instruments, electric guitars shall rule my heart forever, an instrument i have decided to devote myself to [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I can't play music (or write it) but i do love listening to it.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 01-02-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
Lioness
Jack Burton

Hey Yorick, any general advice for someone trying to learn guitar/write songs/start a band? [img]smile.gif[/img] all at once.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:32 PM   #5
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

You startin a band Lioness? Hehehe. Its good fun, even when your trombone play is suicidally depressed, the guitar player has a huge ginger afro, the drummer sacrifices hampsters to the dark lord and the bass play just loves making the cheesiest music ever. What a group we are
(Yes I did say trombone, We're a ska/ska-punk band). Its fun, just stick at music because you'll be glad you can play an instrument when you're older (So i've been told)
Old 01-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I can sing and play the sax, who wants to start a techno band with me? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
Hey Yorick, any general advice for someone trying to learn guitar/write songs/start a band? [img]smile.gif[/img] all at once.
1.Persevere.

Brilliance means nothing without perseverance.
Talent means nothing without perseverance.

You will feel like you're not improving. You are. Persevere. Improvement is a natural result of practice. Your writing, playing and band arranging as well as collaborative ability will all get better, no matter where you are in the ability spectrum now.

Creativity is an ability we all have. If you can hope, you can create. If you can write a shopping list, you can create. It's a matter of honing that creativity into a medium like music. Learning the "language" much like you've learned English.

Music is a language of the soul. Of emotion.

2.Experience

You are the sum of your influences. What goes in comes out. The musicians you listen to will influence you in one way or another. Life will influence you as you walk through it. Gives you more emotion colours to paint and describe when you make music. Fill yourself up. Listen critically and analytically. What are they doing to achieve that? Analyse yourself. What are you feeling right now? Use more defined definitions than just "happy" or "sad". If you're in touch with what you're feelings are, you can communicate them better in song.

3.K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid.)

When you perform (not practice), stay within your limitations. Do a simple thing well, or find a new way to do something that is within your ability. Don't attempt to perform something beyond you.

U2 initially could not play. The Edge was, still is a very limited guitarist. His rhythm was spot on though, so he developed a rhythmic style, and experimented with delays and sounds, becoming one of the most influencial soundsmiths and part creators of his generation.

Dave Gilmore (from Pink Floyd) has said his fingers don't move fast. SO he plays, a very melodic and emotive style - and is highly lauded around the word - that doesn't rely on "speed guitar".

4.Listen to your other bandmates.

Listen to what the singer, bassist, drummer etc are doing. Keep your ears open. Otherwise you may "play over them" stepping all over them musically. Become aware of what the guitar is in say a threepiece. The primary CHORDAL instrument. As such the character, the interest, the style of the music is going to largely depend on you. Focus on these things - rhythm, parts, colour, dynamic - rather than great lead breaks, for you'll use them far far far more han you will a blistering solo.

5.Practice developing your listening ability. Practice timing.

Get these two things down and all else will follow.

6.Choose to enjoy yourself.

Playing music is a gift. Not everyone gets to do it. It's a privilege and an honour. Always remember this. [img]smile.gif[/img]

There are more of course I taught musical courses in music colleges for six years. There's a lot to say. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-02-2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Old 01-02-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I love making music. Love it. Love it.
What kind of music are you making?

I spent some time last summer to record my own album. I played all the instruments myself, and the results were hilarious, but not terrible, at least my friends said so. It may be nice to listen to it when you sit in a wheelchair. Oh yeah, myself I play keybs and some geetar.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

www.hughwilson.biz has a link to some music of mine.

My manager just put samples of some of my vidoes on her site

http://www.vamnation.com/flash3.html?2JY71XPZ

Go to "Side Dishes"
then "Video"
"Live performance" (even though only one is live TV, the other two are music videos, but oh well.)

Old 01-02-2003, 07:33 PM   #10
Lioness
Jack Burton

Thanks very much. [img]smile.gif[/img]