Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

I´ve got some questions for you. Last winter I played BG1 (and that only), this winter Im supposed to spend with #2.

1. In BG1 you practically had to cover every area of the map and I found that enjoyable. There is no fog in BG2, as far as I know. Is this a good or a bad thing?

2. How is the difficulty level of #2 like compared to #1?

3. Only 16 NPC´s?? How do you deal with that?

4. Does the lack of worthy 3D card cause major slide shows in larger battles?

Danke schön.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:05 PM   #2
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I personally didn't like BG1. I was killed by a gibling too many times for my liking. Some of the NPC's are very good. Especially with the new spells and suchlike. It is a little good biased so don't expect much in the way of an evil team. Very irritating that the majority of the quests are good orientated. I ain't got a 3D card. I've got a Dimond Stealth still and it works fine even in combat. Its a little jumpy but not too bad.

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 06:10 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceWorg:

1. In BG1 you practically had to cover every area of the map and I found that enjoyable. There is no fog in BG2, as far as I know. Is this a good or a bad thing?
THe fog in BG2 is handled the same with as in BG1. However BG2 (and all non-BG1 infinity games in fact) lacks the extensive wildernesses. There are much fewer areas, and all have major quests. There are no areas that are there just to explore. Whether thats good or bad depends on your preference, but I liked them.

Quote:

BG2 has some tough fights, but nothing that compares to Durlags Tower. Of course, thats from the viewpoint of a BG1 veteran. Possibly it would be tougher if youd never played a similar game. Id still say BG2 is easier though, if only because there are more cheesy exploits available.

Quote:

Very well for a good party. There may only be a few of them, but their personality and dialogue is far deeper & more interesting than in BG1. Evil parties get a bit shafted though, nor really enough choice. There are mods you can download for more NPCs if you get bored with the normal ones.

Quote:

Danke schön.
Not if you dont mind missing out on some special effects. A few of the alrger battle do slow down, but that can be cured by turning the effects *way* down.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:53 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:

Danke schön.
3. 16 NPCs is all that is needed. It is very variation on all the NPCs, we have everything from Fighter/Druid to Cleric/Mage, from Inquisitor to pure Fighter. It is not hard to find NPCs that suits for your party. [img]smile.gif[/img]

4. I have GeForce 2, and it works fine. It's a bit slow on the huge battles, but that doesnt matter so much. I've also tried the game with older cards, and it mostly works good on them too.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
3. 16 NPCs is all that is needed. It is very variation on all the NPCs, we have everything from Fighter/Druid to Cleric/Mage, from Inquisitor to pure Fighter. It is not hard to find NPCs that suits for your party.
3. There are about 40 classes (and 10 multiclasses) and only 16 NPCs. Besides, there is no monk, barbarian or sorcerer.

4. I was able to play SoA:T0B on my old PC (P233 MMX, 32RAM, noname 2D card) with effects down. A bit slow, but still enjoyable.

[ 09-22-2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Vedran ]
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 10:28 AM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
3. 16 NPCs is all that is needed. It is very variation on all the NPCs, we have everything from Fighter/Druid to Cleric/Mage, from Inquisitor to pure Fighter. It is not hard to find NPCs that suits for your party.
3. There are about 40 classes (and 10 multiclasses) and only 16 NPCs. Besides, there is no monk, barbarian or sorcerer.[/QUOTE]I wasnt saying that all classes are present, only that each 'category' is presented. Who needs eg. a Monk, Barbarian or Sorcerer when there are Fighters, Rangers, a Paladin etc, and Mages, both multiclassed and not. There could be more, but there isnt any lack.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 04:20 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

There IS a Sorcerer NPC, although he isn`t actually part of 'vanilla' SOA.
His name is Kelsey, meet him here. [img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 04:53 AM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Quote:

A: There is fog, but not in the City Area. It's better - one of the things I disliked about BG1 was finding you way around in the city. In BG2 all the important locations are marked on the map.

A: More difficult. No more gibberlings & xvarts here! Or I should say, more challenging, given that you start off as a level 7 character (or thereabouts) rather than a total greenhorn in BG1.

A: 16 is plenty enough. They are also more colourful than in BG1. They have their own personality & some of them are quite fun to have in the party (read Minnsc & Jan).

A: It might in some of the larger battles where lots of spell animations are taking place. You could always adjust the graphics settings though.