Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
whick3
Dungeon Master

i'm looking for a good guide on how to build a party for w7. I've looked and looked and not found anything I see fit so far. I'm wanting to go through w7 and then w8 being able to use the coc, staff of doom , and GS for a mook. Just any advice or if you could post some links to a good wizardy VII site, i'll be playing gold just on a note

thanks
whick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

One point: the hybrids start learning spells at level 3, not 5 (except for ninja). In addition, the 25% bonus doesn't exist. So pure spellcasters are quiet useless, since hybrids are not much behind (especially since there are much more levels to gain). Exception is bishop; he can learn mage and priest spells only, but he gains very many points on level-up in that part.

For rolling up characters: you usually get 8-11 bonus points to distribute. Sometimes 13-18. Very rarely more (i experienced up to 29). So it is possible to start a fairy ninja (which needs 19 or 21 bonus points), but you will have to roll up characters for several hours. Better start your fairy as a ranger, and switch when you reach the necessary stats.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
whick3
Dungeon Master

ohh, so the bonus points are random, thanks for the advice
whick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
babar
Manshoon

If you're playing 7 just to import to 8. keep in mind the max imported skill level is 20 for most skills (wiz 8 skill = wiz 7 skill / 5 for those). max dual weapons is 10 unless you are a Lord. Magic skills max is 8 unless your class is a pure caster, in which case the max is 12 or so. You get a extra bonus to your primary attributes (STR, INT, etc) but I'm pretty sure the amount is the same whether you import a lvl 1 char or lvl 40. The allocation of the bonus and extra bonus points is based on class, but there is a little random wiggle room at time of importation (e.g. with the same save game file, you could import a alch that sometimes has the bonus in DEX other times in INT but 0 chance in VIT). Not all items import, check flamestryke's site to check if the item even has a chance to import. if you don't finish the game, I think you start out with Vi at the monastery (as if you finished), anyway.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

W-7 lets you make some vastly ueber characters. When you change class, you go back to L1, so you don't need a lot of XP to go a few levels and change class again, to keep repeating until you max all the skills you want to. There are a few places where you can generate mobs at will, and be near a regen fountain to keep going.
Except for instruments, all you can import is mid-level stuff, but there are some really good importable weapons and jewellery. A few L1 Spellbooks come over too. (unfortunately, you'll forget all but up to 4 spells)
The Attribute point distribution is kinda odd for importing, so you might want to experiment with classes to see which imports the stats you want.
When you generate the chars in W-7, you can keep rerolling to get more Attribute points, and when you level, you also get a random increase of Attributes (one point only to any attribute, but up to 7 altogether; attributes can be as high as 18 naturally and 20 with permanent boosts from magic items)
When you enter W-8, the mobs spawn according to your level, so if you want an easy first 8 hours, enter still as L1, and take the 4 levels you get for importing when you've entered.
Of the three possible W-7 finishes that don't end in a lightless universe, i recommend the Umpani for the most advantageous start in W-8.

[ 03-06-2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Scatter ]
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:16 AM   #6
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

yes wiz7 is an exercise in patience.
Getting good starting rolls is essential.
At least 18 imho for a good character.
18's are rare, but ive sene up to 24.

Same with level upping. Unlike wiz8 where points are determined mathematically based on your stats & skills, the number of hitpoits and the like gained when you level up is random to an extent, so reloads may be advantageous.

also on hardest difficulty the boss monsters are doubled. fun fun fun!

transfering over to wiz8 is good too. each player is allowed to transfer a select amount of good stuff.
spear +2 for example becomes the mystic spear. a great starting weapon for wiz8.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:06 AM   #7
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

26 is the maximum (very rare). Like Scatter mentioned, class-changing is very simple. For me it was the key to win the game because at the end all characters had all spells and fighting abilities .
I won on expert, too, but I avoid some endgame monsters because they were doubled on expert ( there are VERY tough ones !)

BTW : Because I lost my savegame of W7 ( Umpani ending ) I had to start W8 with a new party. Where can you start on Dominus if you have all diffenent endings saved ? I think, two are Marten's Bluff (T'rang) and Mt.Gigas (Umpani) but where is the third ?

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:28 AM   #8
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

The third is the same as unfinished--on the beach at the Monastery with Vi.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #9
ferro287
Manshoon

The Item Transfer list thread at Software Specialties is also a fairly useful list when it comes to importing wiz to wiz8 imho.
ferro287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:23 PM   #10
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

I was looking through that, and noticed they forgot Bard Instruments...anyone got that kinda info?