Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Moved this over from GD. Sorry Dron_Crah.

We now have to vote via party not qualifications. Check this out. Its been going on for awhile now. I should have vented here before now, but whatever... Would'nt this be unconstitutional as well, or something unethical?

EDIT: Forgot HTML close tag.

[ 08-30-2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 08-31-2004, 01:16 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Sorry, I'm confused (and woefully ignorant of how Tri-City primary elections work). So what are the major changes to ballot structure here?
The Hierophant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Well, parties are essentially seperated, and someone who's a registered Republican isn't going to be on the ticket against his DNC opponent, rather, with a whole lump of other Republicans.

Basically you vote for the Republicans to be in charge or the Democrats.

This pisses me off...

George Washington looks pissed everyone...quick, lynch some politicians!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

We're talking primaries here. In many states, you can only vote in primaries if you are a registered member of the party. The same is true for presidential primaries. Think about it: does either party want to take into account the OTHER SIDE's opinion when choosing its best candidate? Of course not. Otherwise the opposing party voters would crash the primary in an attempt to pick the weakest candidate for their own candidate to run against.

Actually, you're lucky you get to pick the party. Here in Illinois, it's based on what you are registered. Luckily, as an independant, I get to pick and choose which primary I'll vote in.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

It's the same in NC, Timber. It is based on your party affiliation, but as an Independent, you choose which primary to vote in.

I guess it is what you're used to, because to me this seems normal.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
LordKathen

Well it is BS in my view. I dont see how this is "for the people". If I think a democrat is the best for a certain seat, and a republican is best for another seat, going by their "resumes", I should be able to vote how I wish. What I think is best. This is "Divide and Conquer" in my eyes. I am not sure I want to live in an already conservative place and have no bi-partisanship.
This is something the people should have voted on, you know for the people, by the people...
Old 08-31-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Well you can still vote for whoever regardless of their party affiliation at the actual election, but during the primary you are restricted to one side or the other, much like the conventions. It is the Democratic delegates who choose the Democrat running and the Republicans delegates who choose the Republican candidate.

The parties choose who they want to represent them. Like Timber said, if you didn't do it that way then the other side could just choose the worst candidate to improve their own candidates chances.

Bush is running unopposed for the Republican nomination, so what if all the Republicans had been allowed to vote in the Democratic primaries. You might have seen Sharpton speaking on that Friday night at the DNC.

I vote a split ticket all the time during elections, mixing and matching the right Democrats, Republicans, or Independants as I see fit, but in the Primaries, we shouldn't be able to play on both teams.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
LordKathen

Hmm. Well I feel kinda stupid now. I was thinking this was the vote. I will return when I am smarter...
Old 08-31-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

It happens to us all. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]