Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

In this thread I was discussing my computer's power setting problems with myself. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, I've managed to solve half the problem by playing with my registry(please do not try that at home ).

In examining my registry for power scheme settings, I found that removing all the custom schemes(which weren't showing up anyway) and manually setting one of the defaults that all of the defaults reappeared in my list. [img]smile.gif[/img] In addition, I'm now able to add custom saves again!

The bad news is that even though my machine will still go into Standby manually, it will not go into Standby through the power settings feature(even the default schemes) unless it is set for less than 5 minutes, and even then it won't do it if the moniter is set to turn off first. WTF?

EDIT - In case no one knows what I'm talking about, under XP Home Edition go to
START>CONTROL PANEL>DISPLAY>SCREEN SAVER>POWER>POWER SCHEMES

[ 11-02-2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-02-2003, 09:06 AM   #2
Skunk
Banned User

I saw your earlier thread - but had absolutely no idea of what the problem could be. Having said that, power functions authority is assigned by the bios to WinXP - don't suppose it would hurt to double-check your BIOS settings too.

Wish I could be of more help - but I leave my power-settings to 'always on' - and so I've never had this problem.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I don't think it should be the BIOS as this happened in relation to some settings changes/scheme deletions I made under the Power Schemes after successfully using them for quite some time. Also, it still works manually and under certain conditions automatically, but I'll certainly check it out.

BTW, I'm so happy to see someone in here...lol. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-02-2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-02-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I dunno, what computer system do you have? cuz I have never had that problem, and i run XP, and mine works fine, have you updated your OS recently, if no then go ahead and try, if yes, then you might want to unistal the downloads, as that could be the problem, a buggy system file

[ 11-02-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 11-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
GForce

Hmmm. That's a tuffy for me to help with unless I was there. I dislike giving advice unless I have my hands and eyes on something. Either keep watching for new repliers AND/OR get a second hands & eyes on your PC, ie, a handyman/woman friend. BTW can you just reset everything back to default first, then do you custom schemes. Seems you messed a little with the registry, maybe that's why things are a little screwy. Any way to just re-install? Best wishes, Ronn_Bman. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2003, 12:40 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Actually, I was able to use the registry to reset the power schemes to their default status, but the original problem wasn't related to my editing of the registry. I only accessed the registry after the problem. Prior to my editing of the registry, I was unable to add custom schemes, and in fact, not even all of the defaults were availible.

My OS is up to day, and I'm virus and spyware free. I'm defragmented, and my machine is exhibited no other problems.

[ 11-02-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-03-2003, 05:33 PM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Good ol' registry. It never fails. Anyway, that's what I was about to suggest. It's actually easier to set the power settings in the registry than using the Windows menues. You just have to know where to look. [img]smile.gif[/img]