Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2001, 01:44 PM   #1
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well, i got ToB today. i suppose youre thinking lucky guy, right? well no. there is NO TEXT in ToB areas and maps! this includes: Dialogue, Monologue, Special abilities, Journal entries, EVERYTHING! can you people help me? ill do anything to fix it: uninstall, reinstall, shoot my computer out of a cannon, just HELP ME!!!

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 01:50 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Have you called their tech. support?
Since all of us are going to be new to this game, (I have not even got home yet with mine,) you may get a better response from Interplay.
Call the Tech Support...or take it back to the store and exchange it for another one, explaining that yours is faulty...They'll take it back....good luck.

------------------

Loyal guardian of the OHF
Devoted member of the Ironworks
Only member of the Elite Bodyguard to Rikard (the fool that takes the bullet)
Ertai's back-up
Memnoch's chief look-out
Member of the Ancients club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 01:55 PM   #3
Glycerine
Manshoon

Sounds to me like you need to download the latest video drivers for your card. What kind of video card do you have?

Glycerine
Glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 02:12 PM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Do you have DirectX 7.0 or higher installed? Does your video card support DirectX? I would imagine so, since BG2 runs without a problem???

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 02:19 PM   #5
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well im not sure what version i have, but can u give me DirectX site? i ususally skip the upgrades if i can, putting them off til another day... well tis the day!

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 02:23 PM   #6
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
well im not sure what version i have, but can u give me DirectX site? i ususally skip the upgrades if i can, putting them off til another day... well tis the day!
I'm not sure of the exact addy and I'm at work so I don't have time right now to look around on Microsoft's site. However, if you don't want to sift through the reams and reams of MS crap, I think that you can probably download DirectX 8.0a or 7.0 from http://www.download.com

Hope that helps! Don't hold me responsible if it doesn't help or makes it worse. I don't know for certain that DirectX is involved iwth text rendering. I'd still take Larry's advice and call their tech support...might be a quick fix.

------------------

Old 06-20-2001, 02:35 PM   #7
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Seph, I just ran into the same problem. I loaded in the game, proceeded from defeating Irenicus, and I get no text either, no text in the dialogue boxes, nothing in the game commands, nothing. Everything in BG2 is still there, I have the talks with irenicus, the queen, then once I hit BG2 TOB section in the grove, nothing.

So its not you my friend, its either the Add-on, or maybe something to do with all these patches and such we have downloaded to make BG2 actually work right!

THe first major snag in the game, right from the start. I sure hope the rest doesn't go this way LOL.
sunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 02:41 PM   #8
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hey! You guys need to call tech support and get that bad-boy fixed. Please post the resolution here once you get it fixed. Thanks!

------------------

Old 06-20-2001, 02:43 PM   #9
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by sunder:
Seph, I just ran into the same problem. I loaded in the game, proceeded from defeating Irenicus, and I get no text either, no text in the dialogue boxes, nothing in the game commands, nothing. Everything in BG2 is still there, I have the talks with irenicus, the queen, then once I hit BG2 TOB section in the grove, nothing.

So its not you my friend, its either the Add-on, or maybe something to do with all these patches and such we have downloaded to make BG2 actually work right!

THe first major snag in the game, right from the start. I sure hope the rest doesn't go this way LOL.
Does the same thing happen if you start a new game or if you import your "Final save" from BG2? I'm assuming that you're saying that you loaded up an earlier save, played through the fight with Irenicus again, and played right through into ToB, right? If so, do the other two ways I stated make a difference in the problem?

------------------

Old 06-20-2001, 02:59 PM   #10
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Well I loaded up the game from the final save slot, and just to make sure from my quicksave slot (which was at the end). The final save slot saves just before you fight Irenicus in Hell, so thats where I loaded from. I opened the doors again, beat him and his demons, I saw his end movie, I saw the shot with the queen thanking me,
then the screen loaded some more into, and I arrived in the grove where some stone heads are, I assume those are the magic heads or such I'm suppose to talk to. When I talked to it, no text. It had a few pages, you could hit continue at the bottom to progress the speach, but you couldn't see it. Then it teleported me to a open area where I fight the first Baalspawn girl, when she appeared she initiatated dialogue, but again, the speech box came up, but no speech in it.

None of the speech in BG2 regular is affected, I talked with Irenicus, the queen, and even started a new game and talked to Minsc and such, nothing wrong. SOoooooooooo not sure what to do now, waiting to hear from someone.
I am up to date on my drivers and such,

Pentium 533
192mb memory
full install, 10GB HD
16mb 3dfx voodoo 3 video card (configured right)
17 monitor
DirectX version 8

So not sure what it is, but we will find out.
sunder is offline   Reply With Quote