Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am in need of a universal Remote that will handle a TV/VCR combo made by Zenith, and a Panasonic DVD player. I will be upgrading the TV and VCR within the next three years.

I have done a search on Circuit City, Best Buy and Radio Shack, and have looked at various brands, but I want to know if you guys have bought one before, what are you using, and do you like it.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've gotten one as a replacement, and it's just fine, albeit a little complicated. I have to remember to tell it what I want it to work with.

The biggest issue... it has to be programmed. So you have to go through several steps to get it to work with your tv/vcr/dvd. That's not much of a challenge... the first time. When the batteries need to get replaced and you figure out that its programming left with the old batteries... well, if you remember where you left the owner's manual, you're in good shape. I now write the codes inside the battery compartment.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Larry I have used a few different kinds and the best I have found that you dont have to reprogram every time you change the batteries is from Radio Shack. You can preset up to four different manufacture remote controled units at the same time. I Used it on a Zenith VCR A Hitachi T.V. and a Sony DVD player + it also works with my Scientific Atlanta Cable T.V converter box
when you get it you will find a booklet in the package with the easy you use instructions.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I have one by Philips because both my TV and VCR are it's the Philips' brand Magnavox, and it also runs my Panasonic DVD, my RCA CD changer, and my Scientific Atlantica DVR. It does all those with the codes in the manual, but it also has learning mode, so you can program buttons by putting the old remote and the new one end to end.

The learning feature is why I paid an extra $5 or so, but to be truthful I've never used it.

I bought it at Lowe's.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-10-2004, 04:25 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

ROFL, Larry wins the prize for "person most dependant on IW for advice on purchases and technical problems"
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-10-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
ROFL, Larry wins the prize for "person most dependant on IW for advice on purchases and technical problems"
That's a good reason to be a member of IW, don't you agree? Seek help, advice, and opinions from people all around the world and all walks of life in a few short hours?

Modern communication technology...I can't live without it!

Yet I still do not own nor need a cell phone.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

LOL i have 6 remotes here my self and i have one Universal Remote Control that dont work on most of the gear i have so i live with all those darn remotes yet, and i find it as no problem at all when you get used to it [img]smile.gif[/img]