Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
ASH SAYS:
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Here are some hints on Spell combos that have worked well for me. Feel free to list your own.

For this you need a druid and Magic user over 6th or 7th level and have HOW installed. I Call Fish, line, and fire ball
1. Have one of your fighter(1) move directly into the center of the enemies as bait.
2. Have the magic user cast Otilukes resiliant sphere on him.
3. The monsters will concentrate on the encased fighter
4. Have the Druid and MU light up the area with spells such as Fireball, spike stones, clould kill, Druid spell: thorns or something like that. Any area of effect spell works great. The fighter stays clean and cool.
ASH SAYS: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 05:40 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Hi ASH, welcome to IW. Now you are the kind of newbie I like. But, remember that the sphere prevents your character from taking any action with your fighter.

A similar effect can be achieved with the use of a Ring of Fire Resistance and the like. Get fire resistance up past 100% and you get healed by it. Plus this way your fighter can still deal melee damage, which is useful for those highly magic resistant types.

Mine own favourite combo is prayer + recitation + haste - with that lot on even mages can deal out some melee punishment if neccesary. Dont bother with bless, it ties up your cleric for the duration. Feel free to switch on turn undead if appropriate as well - creatures that cant survive near you and cant outrun you are easy meat indeed.

In case you cant tell I prefer to hack and slash with my fighters than blast with my mages, although both are fun.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:00 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Welcome, Ash Says! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

andrewas, Ash is simply relying on the wonderful properties of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, which make the target immune to just about everything. The stupid monsters don't know any better... [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] The Sphere is an incredibly undervalued and underused spell, in my opinion. Even I don't use it very often. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:35 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Azred is know *exactly* what ottilukes does - it prevents any harm from coming to the target (Except fist damage and im not sure that bug works outside of BG1). Unfortunatly it also prevents the target from doing anything.I just mentioned that with some care a superior effect can be achieved by bumping resistances. But then im not a magic fan and prefer big swords.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:14 AM   #5
Spanner_razor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Also if otiluke's resilient sphere is cast on a member of your party i think that when you kill enemies the character under the effect of the spell does not receive experience for killing said monster.
Spanner_razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:15 AM   #6
Theoden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Where do you pick up Otiluke's Resilient Sphere? That sounds like a cool spell, is it a mages or priest's, cause that'd be great to put with my bard?
Theoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:18 PM   #7
--Twilight--
The Magister

Hello,
well, I suppose that both are right, depending on the circumstances. If you get the fire resistance to 100+%, then the fighter can keep swinging. However, you could 1.) but it on a weaker fighter (a thief or cleric) and allow the other better fighter to function as an archer or to engage foes out of the proximity or 2.) if you are facing foes that you know the fighter can't handle, then sphere him, let the fireworks begin, and then let him face fewer/wounded (you'd better hope!) foes. Sphere is a great spell, it can also be used to protect someone in a bad spot. Nevertheless, I probably like to use it best for its suggested purpose: remove a real baddie from the battle for a little time in order to eliminate its support and augment the party. Question for IWD: do enemy spellcasters cast spells while in the sphere (i.e., do they waste their spells this way, or do they wait until they come out of it)?? Also, (I can't remember) can someone in a sphere cast spells and use potions on themselves (i.e., about to die, hit with sphere, heal yourself, and then come out fighting hard)?

- Twilight

[ 06-27-2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: --Twilight-- ]