Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2003, 07:46 AM   #1
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

SPOILERS
The hobbit teleports you out to some deserty place, and you are attacked by wyverns and harpies. I can kill a few with death spells, wyverns anyway, and the harpies can be dominated, but my cleric died trying to save the mage, so now I have no one to raise or resurrect, and a lot of my group are elves anyway.
This is them:

Bard- half-elf- level 30
Cleric- elf- level 30
Mage- elf- level 26
Theif- halfling- level 30
Ranger- half-elf- level 28
Druid- half-elf- level 28

But they all seem to die.
Does anyone have any tips?

Dragonshadow
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
Lymond
Manshoon

Exclamation

This is strange, because I was going to post almost exactly the same question. Did you just begin TOLM? I encountered some there, but only dealt with a few at a time and they were easy that way. Now I'm at another place and am getting attacked by an entire swarm of them. A couple of my characters panic right off the bat and the rest fight a valiant battle, but still die. The harpies are immune to much of my magic damage spells and there are too many to deal with physically. And why can't summoned creatures follow you to a different area? Visually, it's just a doorway.

Sorry to just piggyback on your question, but I'm curious as to what strategy to use. Specifically, in my case, is there a druid or mage spell that cures panic? Also, what hurts magic weilding harpies in large volumes?

Lymond
Old 04-04-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If you look carefully at the place where you teleport in, you should notice that there is a little hut just to the north. That's where Oswald will duck in where you arrive. USE IT!!!!

Try using this approach - when you first arrive and the harpies show up, back up to the north and form a semi-circle with the open half back against the door. Put your weakest characters inside the circle (In your case dragonshadow, I would put the mage and cleric inside). Start casting protection spells on your party as soon as you can, and toss in a haste spell for good measure.

If the battle starts going bad, don't be brave - RUN inside the hut! Heal up, exit and fight some more! Rinse and repeat as needed.

For the rest of the inner courtyard, procede carefully. After the first group of harpies is killed, I would recommend going east first and killing the bugs; then going west and killing the wyverns, and THEN proceding north from where you encountered the wyverns and tackle the last group of harpies. Try dumping massed area effect spells like acid cloud, spike growth, and spike stone, and follow those up with fire balls. Don't forget to use several static charges as well! Put a grease, entangle and/or web spell in the narrow gap behind the hut and the tower with the hanged man. It's a natural choke point. Use summoned monsters to further block the way and use ranged weapons.

You can try using chaotic command spells to protect your cleric and mind blank for your mage if you have it. The bard MAY have a song that will counter the effects of the harpy song if I remember correctly.

Good Luck. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-04-2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 02:31 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Just make sure your paladin isn't running into every Acid Fog that gets cast. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] Oh, wait...I'm having deja vu. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:38 AM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Yes Lymond, I have just started. And Micah, I haven't seen Oswald since the Great Tree. And I wasn't trying to be raelly brave and stay, I got all of my characters inside, because they were all diying, but the mage was scared, so rather than send my nearky daed bard out, I sent the cleric to help the mage and get him in, but the mage died, and the cleric got cared, and my druind was out of haling splls and I had noone to resurrect, so I was pretty done in.
Plus, my 192 hit point ranger is totally rubbish.

Dragonshadow

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote