Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2001, 01:26 AM   #1
Mage of Mystra
Dungeon Master

Alright, this has nothing to do with Wizardry, but i thought some might be interested. This game just shipped and after playing it for an hour, i found it pretty good, it has four cds and it seems to me that the world in it is HUGE, so lots of adventuring waiting. Anyways, if you want to check it out, just head to gamespot previews.

good adventuring...
Mage of Mystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 02:55 AM   #2
Werdna
Dungeon Master

Hmm.. Interesting. Looks a little too much like Diablo for my taste, though. Yep. I'm one of those people who just can't accept diablo as anything more than an action game, and a slightly repetitive one at that. So sue me. [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2001, 05:34 AM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

werdna

noooo! you are jumping the gun on that, friend werdna. you can play gorasul as action/diablo, or like an rpg/baldur's gate.

you can choose the gameplay style:
1) all fights
2) all quests
3) quest/fight mix

your settings are completely up to you.
auto attack like diablo? yep.
psuedo-turn based like baldur's gate? yep.
plus you control when you want the action to pause, like bg.

everything can be customized, according to your playing style. i even played the heck out of the german language demo (and not knowing german very well at all, i still adored it!) i have been waiting for gorasul for a year, and just got it wednesday morning.

it's been so difficult, dividing my time between wiz and gorasul.

but ultimately, wiz is the better game. i mean, every single thing in wizardry 8 is perfection. every single thing! this is the game that every crpg lover dreams of!

if i hadn't ever been introduced to wiz 8 by my wonderful bf, i would have spent my time playing gorasul and enjoying it very much. but it's more a solid 85 out of 100, compared to wiz 8's total, all encompassing 100 out of 100!

anyway, i just wanted to let you know that it deserves looking into. i don't hesitate to recommend it to any rpg player, but only after gushing over wiz 8!! LOL!

V***V
Old 12-07-2001, 09:31 AM   #4
Virgil
Dungeon Master

I hate when several good games come out at once. I'm loving Wizardry and want to keep playing, but I don't want to miss a good game. Some of them come and go so quickly at the store. Plus, I'm finally getting DSL installed, so I can try Dark Age of Camelot, which I picked up a few months back, but wouldn't run on my bad internet connection. (I usually surf from work...)
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:33 AM   #5
Mage of Mystra
Dungeon Master

I agree that wizardry 8 is very good, but since it's my first of the series, i have some minor adjustment to make.

First, this game is kinda like science-fiction/fantasy type. I am more into medieval/fantasy type.

Also, i thought that some of the battles were very long. And if you happens to die towards the end, you'll have to start over .

Plus, it'd be great to have a few more powerful weapons and artifacts. I remember that Might and Magic had plenty of them. But you can't really compare these two games.

Last thing is that when you put stuff in a chest and you open the chest by accident, well you won't be able to close the chest unless you take back all the stuff you put before.

Now the good point. Very few bugs for a 3d rpg game. Excellent graphic and lightning effects. Very good sounds. Lots of little details like when you hit the monster, you'll see him covered in blood. So I would give Wizardry 8 a 88/100.
Mage of Mystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:38 PM   #6
Hooptie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I hate reading about previews, its just a big tease. Half the time they dont even make it out or take years after the preview to make it. Anybody remember that game called Horizons that was previewed years ago and postponed oh so many times? Middle Earth was previewed and never made it to release. Basically, by focusing on previews your just teasing yourself with a game that might never make it out. Its your decision though.

I have DAOC and a big reason why i'm playing Wizardry 8 now is because DAOC is really boring me. It was fun in the beginning but you'll realize there isnt much to do but just lvl. I'm nnot saying it sucks, but its very incomplete right now and should be much better a year from now. Basically the hype is over-stated on DAOC.
Hooptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 07:41 PM   #7
Nydlari
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Hooptie:
I have DAOC and a big reason why i'm playing Wizardry 8 now is because DAOC is really boring me. It was fun in the beginning but you'll realize there isnt much to do but just lvl. I'm nnot saying it sucks, but its very incomplete right now and should be much better a year from now. Basically the hype is over-stated on DAOC.

I agree completely; I only have the demo of Wiz 8, and I'm still playing it more than DAOC. It just plays too much like a FPS, and the updates to the RvR make it seem like it's going to stay that way.

The only other games I see on the horizon that are gonna have a chance to pull my attention away from Wizardry are Morrowind and M&M IX; though the last few M&Ms have been disappointing, I still hope each time one comes out.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote