Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a barebones PC in a tower (Pentium 3 or 4 processor) so that I can put in my own hardware and do upgrades as needed, but I don't know which places that I'm finding out there on the web are good and which aren't. Can anyone recommend a business (on or off line) that have resonably priced bare bones PCs?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 11:30 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Check around for smaller-sized computer stores. In Michigan, Digilink (www.digilink.com) is one such store; I've done work with them in the past and been happy. They've been really good about taking care of issues and warranty stuff. They also sell bare-bones systems -- as low as $300, depending on what you're looking for.

But if what you're looking to do is buy a bare-bones and build it up, why not just build one completely? Buy a case, motherboard, memory, hard drive, CD/DVD/whatever, vid card, and do the final assembly yourself. My current home PC is one of those, and it does just fine. It was built up over a year or so of watching for sale prices for all the components -- I think my final net cost was around $400, of which half was the case, MoBo, and CPU -- couldn't find those on sale

Just a thought... and a lot of fun in any case.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
MagiK

I would suggest www.tcwo.com Thompsons COmputer Warehouse.
reliable, decent prices and I have a long history of problem free
purchaseing from them.

Edit: Check out their "Ice Cube" P4 bare bones system...it looks sweet [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-27-2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-27-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
realbinky
Elminster

www.newegg.com Not the number 1 price, but a good price, and the best service I have ever seen. Emails at every step, 0 hassle returns, faster than promised shipping, lots of stock, and a decent web page with reviews.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Do yourself a great BIG favor and go to www.resellersratings.com Customers such as yourself do all the ratings of online vendors and it has saved me major grief. They have a powerful search engine for any computer part you can imagine. And I concur with realblinky about NewEgg. I have ordered twice and have absolutely no complaints. By the way, they are highly rated by customers at Resellersratings.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:50 PM   #6
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Awesome, great!! Thanks you guys. I'll check out the pages you recommend. It'll be a while for financial reasons before I get something, but this will help me look.
Thanks again!!
And that consumer feed back page will save me a lot of headaches too, I'm sure [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]