Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 01:09 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah! With the help that some of you provided, along with a few questions I had over the phone to a couple people, I was able to install XP with minor difficulty and have it currently working! Now, below is a list of issues I need help with. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

1. I backed up my Address book from Win98, but I do not know where to place these two files that I have. The addressbook was from Outlook Express. I currently have Outlook.

2. During installation, the file "HelpCr.ex_" was not found on the CD. It installed without needing it, but that has rendered the Help and Support option under the Start menu useless. Any suggestions here?

3. I have two accounts set up. Me and my wife. We share the same e-mail account. I have entered the required info for the account into both user areas so that we can receive mail from roadrunner pop server. However, if I check my mail and have a new message downloaded into my mailbox...Karen will not get that e-mail...although it is the same account. If she checks e-mail first...I do not get the download. How can I set it up for us both to get the e-mail, regardless of who is using the PC at the time? Is it a "rule" to set in the way of forwarding? if so, how could the mail be forwarded to the same account?

Those are the only three issues I can think of right now. I would like to use the thread if another question was to arise.

By the way...come on...for a first time installation of an OS...didn't I do okay to only have three issues?

I am sure more will come up in the next few days, so I again thank you all for even reading this for me. Your help is more valuable than I can express!

[ 03-02-2003, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 03-02-2003, 01:19 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Okay...I do have a fourth..but it is minor. When I was running 98, my NVidia card had installed an icon on the control panel called Gamma controller. That is no longer there, and I cannot find a way to mess with the gamma on my view. Where can I do this, or access this option?
Old 03-02-2003, 06:34 AM   #3
andrewas
Harper

1) Outlook should have an import function under file. use that, import from another program or file, point it to your .pst file and that should do it.

The two options below that take info straight fromoutlook express, but I think you deleted that when you installed XP.

2) Interesing. that file isnt on my CD either. I have help.ex_ and helpctr.ex_ . I cant think of a way to fix it, but see if the file is really on your CD or not.

3) Email - surprisingly complicated for one of the oldest systems on the internet. OK. I have two solutions for you. tools -> view or change existing accounts -> Change -> More settings -> Advanced tab -> Leave a copy of the message on the server. In theory, as long as you and your wife both log in refulalrly, you should both get the messages. Set the time to delete message long enough that you will both get them.

Second method is more foolproof, but more complex and I havent tried anything like this myself. Again, tools -> view or change existing accounts. At the bottom theres a "deliver to" dialogue - point it to a .pst file in Shared Documents, so your wife can access it as well.

file - open - outlook data file. Open both the existing .pst and the new one. Copy everything into the new one. View - folder list so you can drag and drop it across.

Log in with your wifes account, open her .pst and the shared one, and copy everything across again. Set her account to deliver to the shared .pst . Now I *think* you should have what you need.

4) Are you running with the drivers that came with XP? If so, your going to be in trouble sooner or later, those drivers are designed to run windows, not games. Get the latest ones fromthe site. Dont worry that you cant find ones for your card, all Nvidia cards use the same file.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Okay...I do have a fourth..but it is minor. When I was running 98, my NVidia card had installed an icon on the control panel called Gamma controller. That is no longer there, and I cannot find a way to mess with the gamma on my view. Where can I do this, or access this option?
Okay, I was able to get this fixed finally, and I will tell you how. It was not NVidia's gamma control, it belonged to Adobe...and comes with Photoshop 6. Man...this forum looks alot nicer with the gamma controlled to the way I like it. This gamma control module that I have has alot of various options and reads your monitor defaults and really does a nice job of making things just the way you would want them. I would recommend it to anyone that wants the best visual display from their monitor. You probably won't find a better tool.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:37 PM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Okay, I was able to get this fixed finally, and I will tell you how. It was not NVidia's gamma control, it belonged to Adobe...and comes with Photoshop 6. Man...this forum looks alot nicer with the gamma controlled to the way I like it. This gamma control module that I have has alot of various options and reads your monitor defaults and really does a nice job of making things just the way you would want them. I would recommend it to anyone that wants the best visual display from their monitor. You probably won't find a better tool.
I havea gamma controlon my monitor,lol as for the other problems, the only one I can help you with isthe one about help and support, go to the main XP web site, and find the support email there,and have them walk you through it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2003, 09:24 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
I havea gamma controlon my monitor,lol as for the other problems, the only one I can help you with isthe one about help and support, go to the main XP web site, and find the support email there,and have them walk you through it [img]smile.gif[/img]
As for the gamma control...you do not have the extensive options that this program offers, I am sure. If you want a list of all the items it offers, I'll give it to you. There is more than one aspect to the whole program. There's like 7 different options, each with it's own function that makes the overall picture better.

As to the other problems..they have all been taken care of. The only one I was never able to tend to was the gamma control, which I have mentioned that I located. This post of mine today was really just a follow-up in case anybody else wanted to know the answer that I had been searching for.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:29 PM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

cool, then I would love to see it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 12:26 AM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Then you shall have it!

The following is the list of instructions to follow on the Gamma Control Panel.

1. Give this job a descriptive name.
2. Adjust the brightness and contrast controls until you see a box barely appear from the black background.
3. Choose from this list which phosphors your monitor uses.
4. Choose the desired gamma by causing the squares to disappear in the blue, red, and green boxes, or choose Windows default. (3 sliding bars to do this with). Note: Windows default is 2.20 for WinXP
5. Choose the hardware White-Point that your monitor uses from the list, or measure it now (offers a button to go see three squares...and you choose the one that is most neutral grey.)
6. Choose to use something other than the recommended white point you have discovered is used as your default.
7. Look at the "Before" and "After" of the changes you made, and determine if you are satisfied, or return and make adjustments.

Does anyone else have a program that is more extensive than this in setting the perfect visual? If so, please tell me! I want it!