Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2003, 01:14 PM   #1
Grojlach
Zartan

A small step for man, but a giant leap for mankind. Literally.

Singapore pushes the boundaries

(CNN) -- In a bid to loosen up Singapore's notoriously strict grip on society, residents will be allowed to jump -- bungee-jump that is -- and even chew "therapeutic" gum, but not without a doctor's prescription.
Singapore's Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong said the lifting of the bungee jump ban reflects a new mindset in the Asian city-state.
"In fact, so changed is our mindset that we will even allow reverse bungee jumping, which shoots you upwards into the sky," Goh said before the Remaking Singapore Committee.
In an apparent attempt to silence critics, Goh set up the committee to come up with suggestions on how to ease Singapore's rigid social order.
Goh said his government will study the committee's proposals -- which the prime minister described as "realistic and practical, and at the same time, push the boundaries" -- and respond over the next few months.
Also Saturday, the Ministry of Trade informed the public that it would allow the sale of "chewing gum with therapeutic value," but noted "the provision is not intended to overturn the ban on chewing gum."
"Under the U.S.-Singapore Free Trade Agreement, Singapore agreed to allow the importation of chewing gum with therapeutic value for sale and supply," the ministry's statement said.
Pharmacists will sell the "therapeutic gum" to those with a prescription from their doctor or dentist.
After U.S.-based William Wrigley Jr. Co. applied for some of its products to be sold over the counter, Singapore agreed to sell Wrigley's Orbit and Orbit White without a prescription, "subject to the condition that the buyers' particulars are recorded."
Singapore adopted a ban on the sticky stuff to make sure the municipality remains neat and tidy. To ensure that doesn't change after the ease on its chewing gum restrictions, Singapore will implement stiffer penalties for those who litter their used gum.
A trade and arts center of Southeast Asia, Singapore is known for its high standard of living and its tight grip on social order.
Its strict laws received worldwide attention in 1994 when an 18-year-old American, Michael Fay, was sentenced to a cane-lashing for vandalizing cars with eggs and spray-paint.
"If Singapore is to become a place where people can fulfill their aspirations , where they can explore many different things, it will no longer make sense for the government to always control and regulate every activity," Goh said.
Source: CNN

Let's hope the decriminalization of chewing gum won't affect the fragile moral fabric of society, though. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

[ 07-23-2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, waddaya know.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:35 AM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

Gah, people are always complaining about there being too many US-related topics around in this forum and how we Eurotwits are always evilly focusing on the US's missteps and never focus on problems or milestone achievements elsewhere... But when I post a topic regarding a major achievement in another country, one which shakes the entire nation, they ignore it?
Don't say I haven't tried... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 04:45 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
That's exactly what i thought you were trying to do, i read your mind.

Next time, add a few lies, like how the first bungee victims died. Make it bloody, and you'll get your replies.

[ 07-24-2003, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 07-24-2003, 04:56 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
That's exactly what i thought you were trying to do, i read your mind.

Next time, add a few lies, like how the first bungee victims died. Make it bloody, and you'll get your replies.
*sigh*
Nah, I suppose the people have silently spoken. It's back to Evil Old-Europish Commie Freedom-Hating Anti-War Propaganda I go. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-24-2003, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Errrrr this is nothing to do with the huge drop in internal tourism and the loss making Singapore airlines forcing the government to give a good hard look at itself?

For decades it has tried to market itself as a clean, safe introduction to the Asian world for us westerners. Is this an admittance that people would rather have a tolerant society than a regulated society?

[ 07-24-2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote