Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2001, 12:22 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I think I've heard they may have discovered a few bacteria that live in geothermic and volcanic vents, but they are highly specialized and don't seem to thrive outside them.

Just thought I'd let you know that they have discovered hundreds of species and entire ecosystems that pretty much cover every geo-thermal vent in the explored parts of the deep ocean (only about 1% explored). These organisms exist off bacteria which gain their energy from hot sulphur gas instead of the sun. These bacteria were first discovered in the late '70s and pretty much turned evolutionary science as it was understood at the time, on its head.

Since then, 1 new species of bacteria, or of a creature/plant entirely dependent on these bacteria (ie. they get no energy from the sun but from other sources) has been discovered on average every 10 days. 1 new species every 10 days!! Similar bacteria and ecosystems based on methane gas have also been found in the deep ocean. And we have barely begun exploring. It is these discoveries that lead me to believe that although the universe is finite according to modern science (alas not infinite) there is a good likelyhood of some form of life - since the sun or a similar star is not the only possible generator of the energy necessary for life it now seems.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-25-2001, 12:36 PM   #12
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Just thought I'd let you know that they have discovered hundreds of species and entire ecosystems that pretty much cover every geo-thermal vent in the explored parts of the deep ocean (only about 1% explored). These organisms exist off bacteria which gain their energy from hot sulphur gas instead of the sun. These bacteria were first discovered in the late '70s and pretty much turned evolutionary science as it was understood at the time, on its head.

Since then, 1 new species of bacteria, or of a creature/plant entirely dependent on these bacteria (ie. they get no energy from the sun but from other sources) has been discovered on average every 10 days. 1 new species every 10 days!! Similar bacteria and ecosystems based on methane gas have also been found in the deep ocean. And we have barely begun exploring. It is these discoveries that lead me to believe that although the universe is finite according to modern science (alas not infinite) there is a good likelyhood of some form of life - since the sun or a similar star is not the only possible generator of the energy necessary for life it now seems.

Outstanding info Epona! Any clue as to where to go to read up on this? Any advanced animals, or just single celled animals and plants? Where there are protozoa, there are usually hydra also.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-25-2001, 12:39 PM   #13
MagiK

I believe in UFO's we used to monitor them all the time when I was in the military, usually they then became IFO's. Just because something is Unidentified doesnt mean its an alien mother ship. I do not believe aliens are running around probing our rectums or slaughtering our cows. I think Jeff Foxworthy Had it right when he commented that most people who see UFO's are in Bass boats Useing fishing lures and drinking beer (it is way funny when he tells the story) The universe is vast and I doubt we are the only forms of life to have been created or formed.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 10-25-2001, 12:43 PM   #14
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Outstanding info Epona! Any clue as to where to go to read up on this? Any advanced animals, or just single celled animals and plants? Where there are protozoa, there are usually hydra also.

Thanks, I do my best
There is an excellent BBC documentary series on TV in Britain at the moment called The Blue Planet - nature documentaries is what the BBC does best - narrated by David Attenborough. So I'm sorry to say that I got all this info off the TV (shame) although a good reliable channel.

I'm just finding a link to their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/programm...ogrammes.shtml

They had one program in the series about the deep ocean. They actually showed some film of an 'underwater lake' which was astounding. It was a big pool of thick saltwater at the bottom of the sea. It gave off methane gas which made any fish swimming across the top virtually faint unconcious. Bacteria which lived off the methane were the basis for a huge ecosystem which included mussels, tubeworms, crabs and lobsters, all too far from the sun to gain energy from it. Truly amazing stuff.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-25-2001, 12:50 PM   #15
MagiK

Sir Kenyth there is a lot of info on bacteria living in the depths around "black smokers" and other geothermal formations. The Woods Hole web site will probably have some good info. Sorry I don't have the link though.

There was a Sci-Fi show that had interesting bits of fact woven into the story lines about the ocean as well but the title of the series escapes me at the moment..they had a talking dolphin, a guy who had gills on his back and a huge arse submarine

Edit: DoH! The show was called Sea Quest...sheesh I hate getting old, my brain is starting to fade

------------------

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 10-25-2001).]

Old 10-25-2001, 12:52 PM   #16
MagiK

Epona, have you read at all about the pools of fresh water that form in the caribean? Massive amounts of fresh water come up from underground artesian wells forming huge pockets of fresh water that are a navagation hazard for ships and subs. Fresh waters buoyancy is far lower than saltwater and if your balast is too great your ship will just sink. Neat stuff

------------------

Old 10-25-2001, 12:53 PM   #17
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Epona, have you read at all about the pools of fresh water that form in the caribean? Massive amounts of fresh water come up from underground artesian wells forming huge pockets of fresh water that are a navagation hazard for ships and subs. Fresh waters buoyancy is far lower than saltwater and if your balast is too great your ship will just sink. Neat stuff

Explaining the Bermuda Triangle?

Old 10-25-2001, 12:56 PM   #18
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Sir Kenyth there is a lot of info on bacteria living in the depths around "black smokers" and other geothermal formations. The Woods Hole web site will probably have some good info. Sorry I don't have the link though.

There was a Sci-Fi show that had interesting bits of fact woven into the story lines about the ocean as well but the title of the series escapes me at the moment..they had a talking dolphin, a guy who had gills on his back and a huge arse submarine

Sea Quest? It was a take off of the old 60's show wasn't it? I don't watch a lot of TV. When I do it's usually movies. I got rid of cable TV because I wasn't getting my monies worth and my son was dulling his senses with 24 hr. a day cartoon channels.

------------------
Member of ORT

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-25-2001, 12:56 PM   #19
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Explaining the Bermuda Triangle?

Well maybe some of the Bermuda Triangle thing, however I think massive quantities of "adult beverages" may also explain much about the triangle.

------------------

Old 10-25-2001, 01:22 PM   #20
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Hee, Hee!

Goes something like this?

Steps:

Whoa dude! Look! ALIENS! And they're riding pink elephants! COOL!

------------------
Member of ORT