Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2001, 09:45 AM   #1
mitsos

Do you believe in the existence of aliens?
I do, but I don't think they have actually come to Earth. I think that in fact, the angels described in the Bible could be seen as aliens, since they're so very different from humans (an evolved species perhaps?). All these conspiracy theories are nonsense.

Old 10-25-2001, 09:50 AM   #2
Byronas

I believe in UFOs. I believe that the universe is not only ours. And for the angels, tell that to my sister and you will die in that moment cause you know why!!!

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

[This message has been edited by Byronas (edited 10-25-2001).]

Old 10-25-2001, 09:56 AM   #3
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hm... I believe that there must be intelligent life SOMEWHERE in this universe on account of it's being very very big... however it is pretty impossible that they ever come to visit us on account of the limit of the speed of light... the nearest star is still 4 light years away!

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum
Old 10-25-2001, 10:06 AM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Hm... I believe that there must be intelligent life SOMEWHERE in this universe on account of it's being very very big... however it is pretty impossible that they ever come to visit us on account of the limit of the speed of light... the nearest star is still 4 light years away!

I agree with Kaz on this one, though you may never know...

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.

Paladin of the order, first bodyguard of Lady Lioness and defender of Castle Kerhelm
Old 10-25-2001, 10:13 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

I don't believe in UFOs.

But to me it seems rational that there is a good possibility for some form of life out there in the universe, even if it is just on a bacterial sort of level.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-25-2001, 10:26 AM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by mitsos:
Do you believe in the existence of aliens?
I do, but I don't think they have actually come to Earth. I think that in fact, the angels described in the Bible could be seen as aliens, since they're so very different from humans (an evolved species perhaps?). All these conspiracy theories are nonsense.
If you believe that the universe is truly infinite, then you have to accept that not only are there other forms of intelligent life out there, but that the number of intelligent life-forms is also infinite. I'm not smart enough to think that up on my own, but I did see it on an old episode of "In Search Of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy

I believe biblical angels are just that, Angels of God. If you consider that they are not of this world, then you could classify them as aliens, but.....

If aliens did visit ancient earth, which is unlikely in my opinion, then they probably would have been perceived as gods. Look at the way European colonial parties were regarded by indigenous peoples, and multiply that by thousands of times for "parties" which arrived from the sky. It didn't take the natives long to figure out European explorers were just other human's with better weapons, etc. Imagine how different intergalactic explorers would be. It's unlikely, in my opinion, but the implications are staggering.

I doubt intelligent alien species have visited earth because I can't see why they wouldn't have made their presence known to all(but who am I ). If they have the technology to travel between galaxies, I don't think they'd have much problem defending themselves against us, so Earth's "conspiratorial" governments couldn't possibly have killed/captured/contained all of them and kept it "hush-hush". And think about it, with the ability to travel between galaxies it would be highly unlikely they couldn't figure out the "how to land this thing" part

Maybe they're using the "Star Trek" concept, watching us and waiting until "the time is right". I just hope when/if contact is made it's not something like the "Twilight Zone" episode were they find the aliens are kind and friendly, and even have a manual on humans entitled, "How To Serve Humans", but find out it's actually a cookbook!

BAM!!!!!

LET'S KICK IT UP ANOTHER KNOTCH!

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-25-2001).]
Old 10-25-2001, 10:35 AM   #7
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I believe that aliens exist, but not that they've been here to visit us, I mean, why would they travel all the way here just to cut up some cows and examine some advanced apes? If they WERE here they would surely make themselves known, either by beginning to attack us to wipe us out and take the Earth for themselves or peacefully.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:14 AM   #8
Debaser

Yes, i definitely believe there HAS to be some kind of other life forms in this whole universe....No, i don't think they have made contact with our planet, really. who's to even say that such a species has technology far more advanced than ours? an "alien" might just be a microscopic amoeba swimming in some celestial sludge that won't be evolving into fruition for another few million years...
actually, what is interesting is that Europa (a moon of Jupiter) has a thick crust of ice. they've recently found out that beneath this ice crust, there is liquid water due to the increased temperature towards the center of the moon...NASA has been talking about sending some kind of ship out there that could drill in through the ice and bring back a sample of H20 from Europa so it can be examined for life-forms.......sure, that would be quite the undertaking, but where there's liquid water there's a much greater possibility for the propagation of life.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:17 AM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

It's very hard if not impossible to say for sure. Let's assume that only suns and planets like ours can support life to begin with. That narrows things down a lot for starters. Now lets think about the circumstances that started life to begin with and the chances of that occuring on the given planets. Now lets think about the timeframe. Our entire civilization is but the tiniest fraction of a second in the life of the universe. What are the chances of two sets of perfect circumstances for life ocurring during the same fraction of a second? The time I beleive is the most damning of the obstacles. Add this to the fact that we can't even reach the closest of our solar systems yet and may very well never. We are constrained by the rules of our physical universe as much as we are a part of it. I beleive chances of us ever finding other life are quite slim. We don't even know for sure what lies at the bottom of our oceans yet! I don't beleive there is much of anything there either considering no sunlight reaches it and an ecosystem requires sunlight to work. Even animals who live where there is no sun depend on the ecosystems where the sun is shining. That which would filter to the bottom of the sea without being consumed or decomposed would be sparse indeed. Tube worms seem to filter the little that is left. I think I've heard they may have discovered a few bacteria that live in geothermic and volcanic vents, but they are highly specialized and don't seem to thrive outside them.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-25-2001, 11:23 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Debaser:
Yes, i definitely believe there HAS to be some kind of other life forms in this whole universe....No, i don't think they have made contact with our planet, really. who's to even say that such a species has technology far more advanced than ours? an "alien" might just be a microscopic amoeba swimming in some celestial sludge that won't be evolving into fruition for another few million years...
actually, what is interesting is that Europa (a moon of Jupiter) has a thick crust of ice. they've recently found out that beneath this ice crust, there is liquid water due to the increased temperature towards the center of the moon...NASA has been talking about sending some kind of ship out there that could drill in through the ice and bring back a sample of H20 from Europa so it can be examined for life-forms.......sure, that would be quite the undertaking, but where there's liquid water there's a much greater possibility for the propagation of life.
I remember that being announced and thought how similiar that was to something in Arthur Clarke's "2010"(or was it a later book in the series?). They land on Europa get water for fuel. After breaking through the ice on top to reach the water, it gets interesting.

Science Fiction is only fiction in the present, looking to the past it's almost prophetic in many instances.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."