Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2001, 08:58 AM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

Right now I feel useless, dumb and hopeless. I just got a call from a company I was applying for a job at, and they told me "I was not the right guy they were looking for. I went to an interview there and thought it went great, but nope, apparently I'm no good. And it's not like the job was a rocket scienctist or something, it was a meager storejob, and I have experience, I worked in a store for almost 2 years, and my boss there gave me great recommendation...

And this is the 5th job I don't get in a month, The whole world is against me.

------------------
Old 10-25-2001, 09:09 AM   #2
Lord Exxon

Oh, come on dude. You must not give up so easily! OK, here is what you are going to do now. First you take a bath or something, then go and post some topics here, get some sleep, and then get back on searching for a job!
You dont need that stupid job, I am sure there is so many better!
And if you just keep looking, I am sure that one of those will come! So just dont give up!

------------
What we do in life, echoes in eternity

Old 10-25-2001, 09:11 AM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

Don't feel bad, I know how you feel! I've spent the last 3 years working and training as a PC Support Technician and I've been out of work since July. I was the last person cut from the budget and I felt pretty bad.

I've had 1 interview where I was told you are qualified, but we like someone else.

I had one interview which went great. They set up a second one and the night before, they called to tell me not to come to see them because they hired someone they liked better.

I've had 3 Tech jobs I applied for go sour, because The State Of Vermont has put a freeze on hiring.

I had another interview set up as a Tech for the local mental health org. and they canceled it the morning before it, they are funded by the State, too!

I've gotten lots of e-mails telling me "You are certainly qualified, but we are hiring another, good luck!".

We are only two of many thousands facing the same things. We are not alone!

Hang in there, the government says it will send us help!

Mark
Old 10-25-2001, 09:12 AM   #4
skywalker
Banned User

Sorry! I guess my answer wasn't very inspirational. But I do feel your pain!

Mark
Old 10-25-2001, 09:15 AM   #5
Byronas

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Exxon:
Oh, come on dude. You must not give up so easily! OK, here is what you are going to do now. First you take a bath or something, then go and post some topics here, get some sleep, and then get back on searching for a job!
You dont need that stupid job, I am sure there is so many better!
And if you just keep looking, I am sure that one of those will come! So just dont give up!

------------
What we do in life, echoes in eternity
Lord Exxon is right. Don't give up! You must continue you life.

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-25-2001, 09:20 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

Thanks guys, and Exxon, actually I'm going to work, I have a job which I hate because it hardly pays the bills and which is why I'm looking for another one and mainly because I'm trying to move from this place to the city, I'm living with my parents in the town I grew up in since July and it's awful. But you are right I shouldn't give up too easily, it was just a moment of despair there. I'll keep searching.

And skywalker I'm sorry for your trouble, I really hope things get better for you.

------------------
Old 10-25-2001, 09:20 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

since im a student with a loving family, i never have experienced what you guys are feeling right now. however, i believe "try and try once more (or try again)". believe me, you may get even a better job than you guys are even applying now

luck may play a part but its up to you to make a choice (250 thought me that )

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 10-25-2001, 09:26 AM   #8
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Right now I feel useless, dumb and hopeless. I just got a call from a company I was applying for a job at, and they told me "I was not the right guy they were looking for. I went to an interview there and thought it went great, but nope, apparently I'm no good. And it's not like the job was a rocket scienctist or something, it was a meager storejob, and I have experience, I worked in a store for almost 2 years, and my boss there gave me great recommendation...

And this is the 5th job I don't get in a month, The whole world is against me.

These days, Joreth, you gotta sell yourself. Don't go in there all modest and hopeful, and don't go in there exuding overconfident bravado.
But go in positive. You KNOW you can do the job - so make sure you exude quiet confidence in yourself. Stand straight, walk tall, look the guy in the eye when you answer questions. You have been to a number of interviews, so you know the sort of questions they ask, and you have some experience of what sort of answers meet with approval. Keep those in mind!! Think up what sort of unexpected questions they might ask, and what answers you would give. Find out a bit about the company before you go for interview in case they ask - "why do you want to work for us?"
OK, I know this is all basic stuff - but when you have been job-hunting for a while it is all to easy to forget it!
Good luck with the next one!

------------------

Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-25-2001, 09:28 AM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

Funny, right after I wrote my reply - the phone rang. It's for job as a PC Tech with a big company here called Panurgy!

They asked if I wanted to be just a PC Tech for a career or move into networks.

Tough question if you don't know the answer they want. I had to be honest and said yes, I want to be just a PC Tech.

He said it was the right answer! I have an interview at 3:00 today!

(Hard to type with crossed fingers!)

Mark
Old 10-25-2001, 09:31 AM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Funny, right after I wrote my reply - the phone rang. It's for job as a PC Tech with a big company here called Panurgy!

They asked if I wanted to be just a PC Tech for a career or move into networks.

Tough question if you don't know the answer they want. I had to be honest and said yes, I want to be just a PC Tech.

He said it was the right answer! I have an interview at 3:00 today!

(Hard to type with crossed fingers!)

Mark
Woo-hoo!!!! Go man!!!

------------------

Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.