Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2001, 07:32 PM   #81
tracey
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Fljotsdale,

Thank you for your reply!
I understand that you weren't implying that I am a negative person in general.
Sorry if I do have little faith in mankind, but here in The US at least (the only country I have ever resided in), it is well founded. Can't say I would want to live anywhere else though! I appreciate our freedoms, it would just be nice to know that our world leaders were working for all of us rather than themselves. I liked the Clinton Administration...they did a lot for our country and our morale on a national level (in spite of the intern incident). I know a lot of people who worry every day now that it is over and no one knows what to expect from Dubya.

*HUGS*
Moni

Why would you not like to live anywhere else. America is not particularly regarded as a 'free' country by Europe - in fact we find america a somewhat distressing mish mash of bizarre and barbaric practices. recent lethal injections, death row, that sort of thing. Europe became rather more civilised after world wars and general naughtiness - so much so that we feel quite comfortable making efforts to talk (despite language and cultural differences). Would that america follow suit.
Old 06-18-2001, 07:45 PM   #82
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
Why would you not like to live anywhere else. America is not particularly regarded as a 'free' country by Europe - in fact we find america a somewhat distressing mish mash of bizarre and barbaric practices. recent lethal injections, death row, that sort of thing. Europe became rather more civilised after world wars and general naughtiness - so much so that we feel quite comfortable making efforts to talk (despite language and cultural differences). Would that america follow suit.[/B]

Errrmmmmm, tracey.... Uh, we ain't THAT different in Europe! And people generally DO prefer the country of their birth! I know I do - I wouldn't really feel safe anywhere else, lol!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 06-18-2001).]
Old 06-18-2001, 08:23 PM   #83
Conan

Hmmm. Bush summarily rejected the Kyoto protocol on climate control, which would have forced the U.S. into a 30% cut in emissions while permitting China, India and most humanity to pollute at will. He knows we cant do it alone. He said he isn't a unilaterist also. I dont beleive he will sign anything close to this either. The "Rapid Reaction Force" in the EU's future plans only exist on paper. A strategic future entails us all. I hate this state of affairs everyone. Lets plant some trees I guess.

------------------

Conan, master of the portal
Keeper of the Sun Sword
Decendent of the Kunze clan
Point man in the battle against evil Balrogs

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 06-18-2001).]

Old 06-18-2001, 08:24 PM   #84
skywalker
Banned User

George W. Bush?

I didn't vote for him.

The best thing that has happened since the election (you call that an election?), was when Jim Jeffords from my state of Vermont left the Republican Party. Mostly due to the Bush Administration's views on environment and education.

Makes me proud that I live in Vermont!

See ya in 4 Dubya!

Mark
Old 06-18-2001, 08:31 PM   #85
Conan

Skywalker, I didn't either. I was just trying to list facts. I really don't think you should be able to switch in term though. It is a very liberal state I take it, and a fair shake should be made.
Conan

Old 06-18-2001, 08:38 PM   #86
skywalker
Banned User

Conan, my post wasn't pointed at you- just coincidence...that's all. Besides, Bush and the rest of the Republicans had many chances to keep Jeffords from bolting and decided to threaten him instead.

By the way, though I don't believe being a liberal is a nasty thing to be, we are more of a moderate state. I'm independant, I vote for the best person for the job. Jeffords has guts to stand up to the Political Machine. Politicians should vote for the people not with just their party.

End of speech (sorry).

Mark
Old 06-18-2001, 08:44 PM   #87
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Conan, my post wasn't pointed at you- just coincidence...that's all. Besides, Bush and the rest of the Republicans had many chances to keep Jeffords from bolting and decided to threaten him instead.

By the way, though I don't believe being a liberal is a nasty thing to be, we are more of a moderate state. I'm independant, I vote for the best person for the job. Jeffords has guts to stand up to the Political Machine. Politicians should vote for the people not with just their party.

End of speech (sorry).

Mark
No, Jeffords had the guts to buy himself into a longer term committee chairmanship. THAT was what that was all about. Personal power, plain and simple. What about all the people in his state that voted for him because they didn't like either candidate but preferred a republican in office?

Besides, it won't make much difference. Things will not improve until the conservatives quit pandering to the liberals and start acting like conservatives instead of moderates.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-18-2001, 08:46 PM   #88
skywalker
Banned User

Well Gaelic,

You just don't know Jim Jeffords, that's all.

Mark
Old 06-18-2001, 09:10 PM   #89
Moni

Quote:

Why would you not like to live anywhere else. America is not particularly regarded as a 'free' country by Europe - in fact we find america a somewhat distressing mish mash of bizarre and barbaric practices. recent lethal injections, death row, that sort of thing. Europe became rather more civilised after world wars and general naughtiness - so much so that we feel quite comfortable making efforts to talk (despite language and cultural differences). Would that america follow suit.
For one I have never lived anywhere else...I know here though that I have clean water and good beef. (Among other things)
Its not that I approve of everything that goes on here but I do support the death penalty and would like the Govt. to clear out death row for the sake of saving the taxpayer's money and seeing it spent on more appropriate programs, like education and improving the ecological state of our young nation.

Welcome to the Forum Tracy!

Moni

------------------

Old 06-19-2001, 01:58 AM   #90
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Fljotsdale,

Thank you for your reply!
I understand that you weren't implying that I am a negative person in general.
Sorry if I do have little faith in mankind, but here in The US at least (the only country I have ever resided in), it is well founded. Can't say I would want to live anywhere else though! I appreciate our freedoms, it would just be nice to know that our world leaders were working for all of us rather than themselves. I liked the Clinton Administration...they did a lot for our country and our morale on a national level (in spite of the intern incident). I know a lot of people who worry every day now that it is over and no one knows what to expect from Dubya.

*HUGS*
Moni

Welcome to yank bashing thread 2: bash with a vengeance

------------------

BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!