Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

So I'm a solo sorcerer, pottering through the game as you do. Not started to help any organisations, but done a few quests and I'm level 14.

Decided to finish Trademeet before I go off and raise the gold (hah, like I need any hand doing that!) just for a bit more experience. I always seem to spend hundreds of days to finish the game (gametime) so I wanted to get Wish as fast as possible, so I don't need to rest (cos I seem to be sleeping after every few fights).

The Rakshasa are just, I don't know I've tried everything. My summons (skeletons and sword spiders) do nothing. My skull traps/fireballs/cone of colds/magic missiles/chromatic orbs/flame arrow/melfs acid arrows/any damage scroll I find in my overflowing (with crap spells...) scroll case. I've tried beefing up, putting summons between me and them and beating them with my staff/sling/darts. They resist/are immune to everything I do, and I think I must have done something wrong.

The only thing I can think of is heading back to Athkatla, finding a Tensers Transformation and beating the living crap out of them warrior style?

(Also noticed their AoE Cloudkill injures them, but it takes a while and injures me trying to keep them in the area too)

They've never posed a problem in any of my non-solo games. It's just a matter of the biggest weapon, the hardest armor and beating the living daylights out of them.

Help please
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If you can cast Wish, you can certainly cast a spell trigger with 3x Lower Resistance, yes?

Edit: Or perhaps, being a sorceror, you didn't/havn't select(ed) Lower Resistance yet?

[ 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Erm...

*checks*

Nope, great malison is the only spell *like* that. All my others are basically buffs/damage/summons.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Sever

Lower resistance is pretty much essential for a solo-sorc. Even at level 14.

How far away from level 15 are you? Your skeletons evolve into skeleton warriors at that stage and with their high magic resistance and good melee skills, one or two should make short work of a rakshasa. Can you postpone the battle?

Failing that, improved invisibilty + spell immunity: divination (from a scroll if you don't know it) on top of your standard protections should keep your sorceror alive long enough to kill the rakshasa in a melee. Have you picked up the Firetooth +3 dagger yet?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Well my thoughts were "it won't help me atm, I'm not going after any big fish. I'll get spells to make life easier now". Lack of planning for the future

I could possibly finish the druid quest, then hopefully that'll level me up...

assuming the spell immunity: divination is to stop them true-sighting me, couldn't I just pop on a cloak of non-detection?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Indeed, once you hit Level 15 there are only 3 steps to beating any & all Rakshasa:
1) Cast Animate Dead.
2) Walk away.
3) Giggle.

Don't bother casting spells against them, they're immune to Spell Levels 1 through 6 (I think). What you need are Summons whose attacks strike as magical weapons (and, ideally, have a high Magic Resistance), and the only ones that spring to mind are the various Elementals, who take a long time for Wizards to summon. So you have the option of finding the Rakshasa, calling for help, and promptly dying, or breaking roleplay and raising your Summon before you have any reason to do so.

Alternatively, you can go nuts with Melf's Minute Meteors.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
Sever

It doesn't protect against true sight. (That'd make it super, super cheesy). In fact, once an enemy knows you're there, it doesn't protect against anything.

Ed: Cloak of Non-detection, that is.

[ 05-29-2007, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Rakshasas are immuned to spells from Lvl-01 to Lvl-07, and your weapon needs to be +3 enchanted or higher in order to affect them.

The main difficulty in fighting Rakshasas lies in their immunities. Once you can resolve the above two issues, they are actually rather weak in combat.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Thank you very much fellas, that settles it. Come back with some meaner summons >=)
Old 05-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Took on Planer Sphere and dinged 15 fighting Tolgerias(sp?). Skeleton Warriors are so hard *cackles*

Just got level 8 spells too *cackles more* I'm becoming uber!!