Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: More tech expense questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
Not true Z. Not all LEDs are edge lit. On an LCD TV the lamps at the back of the screen are fluorescent lamps, whilst on an LED TV ALL the lights at the back (and edges, if edge lit) of the screen are Light Emitting Diodes (LED). There are two types of LED methods used to provide the back lighting to the screen, Edge lighting and Full Array lighting. All LEDs are lit exclusively with light emitting diodes regardless of whether they use full array lighting or edge lighting.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/the-dif...d-and-led-tvs/

Generally NEWEGG will undercut most retailers like BestBuy.

Samsung has a brand new 60 inch model, 240 hz that is awesome!

Yeah, thats what I meant... MANY say "LED" in big letters, then below it says LED-LCD.. The 'real' LED tv's are when its entirely backlit with leds... whats NICE is the lower power consumption.

For instance.. my old 17 inch CRT pulled hundreds of watts, while my 24 inch BenQ LCD monitor pulls 90watts! still feel the heat from it if you put your face close, but still saves cash..

Oh yeah, newegg is #1 for many things... they blow best buy out of the water on video cards, ram, hard drives.. and everything else usually.

Built 3 PCs via newegg..

The ONLY thing I would be careful about is OEM related things... there usually isn't a warranty after 90 days for them.. (for OEM Hard drives I've seen).

I a DYING to get Windows 7 for work here at home, buy simply can't afford it.. sucks.. I guess I'll be stuck with XP forever lol...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Winking Re: More tech expense questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
While a larger screen seems tempting, we have a 60" in the living room that my sister gave us when we moved in here, I'm looking for one to use in my room, necessitating a smaller size. Based on the criteria suggested in Micah's first reply, I settled on 32" for myself.

From what I read, the full array LED gives a better color than edge LED. Though I suspect that edge LED, shouldn't look worse than standard LCD, else I would not consider it worth more than standard LCD.

Yeah, if you can afford it, get the FULL LED.. it'll save you on power, and the led bulbs last forever (well.. a VERY long time).. Just make sure if you get one, you check to make sure you don't have a dead led.. (kinda like a dead pixel on an LCD monitor).
Go through gray, green, blue red and bright while (RGB+white).

Old 11-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: More tech expense questions...

I don't suppose they've created a diagnostics mode that allows you to cycle through the different colors with an easy push of the button?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Zartan

I recommend Samsung too. We had a 46" and I loved it. The picture quality is head and shoulders above the rest.

I like Newegg, but I usually comparison shop between them and Tigerdirect. I have found both have good customer service and lower prices so it's a matter of finding who has the lowest price of whatever I'm looking for at the time.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Smiley Re: More tech expense questions...

Quote:
I don't suppose they've created a diagnostics mode that allows you to cycle through the different colors with an easy push of the button?

Oh now, you think they would make it that easy? come on

They may.. dunno about diagnostic stuff on LED or LCD TVs...
Question to the masses: Do those types of TV's require 'magic focus' like on the old
internal projection TV's? it aligns the grid of red and blue to the white grid?
I wouldn't think so... but just curious.. whenever I DO get one, I'll research the hell out of it...

I manually do the magic focus.. it takes longer, but seems to work better.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

The 32" Samsung 1080p, 120Hz advertised on the newegg link, one of the product reviews claims that it is not, in fact, 120Hz, rather that it is something called 120 CMR. What exactly does this refer too? Is 120 CMR, not as good as 120Hz? And more importantly, At $630 is it really that big a deal?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

CMR stands for "Clear Motion Rate"

Here is a page describing it:

http://www.samsung.com/us/article/cl...motion-clarity

Hope that helped!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
The 32" Samsung 1080p, 120Hz advertised on the newegg link, one of the product reviews claims that it is not, in fact, 120Hz, rather that it is something called 120 CMR. What exactly does this refer too? Is 120 CMR, not as good as 120Hz? And more importantly, At $630 is it really that big a deal?
According to Samsung, that is a full 120 HZ TV. Why samsung confuses things with that 120 CMR is beyond me. (just to make sure we're talking about the same tv, this is the model #: UN32D6000S)

Here's a link to an answer from the Samsung rep:

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/answers/3...a%26dir%3Ddesc

Quote:
This TV is a fully capable 120Hz set and offers the Auto Motion Plus feature that enhances said 120Hz image. This set will always upscale your 60Hz signal to 120Hz, regardless of any settings you may have active. However, in order to receive the full 120Hz benefit (judder and blur reduction, and frame interpolation), you will need to have Auto Motion Plus active. The reason some users are seeing 60Hz is because the info box which shows whenever the resolution changes or source changes, only displays the signal’s actual Hz and screen resolution and not the info of the picture on the screen after the TV processes it. Meaning that the 60Hz that is being seen is the signals actual Hz and not the screen’s Hz. Currently there is no way to display the screen’s Hz in the info box. Coincidentally, the Samsung TVs can only accept a 60Hz signal.
If that link doesn't work, try this one and look for the Product Q&A on the left, then for 120hz in the Q topics:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=2234045

Tiger Direct has this for 729$ with free shipping and no sales tax.

Jeeez, almost forgot but avoid the Samsung Blue Ray players like the plague. Samsung retailers often bundle them with their TVs but the samsung blue ray players are total pieces of shite. Stick with a Sony blue ray.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 11-29-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Good to know, about the blu-ray players. I'm probably going to go with a PS3 anyway. On that note, my parents have an old Vizio blu-ray player, which runs great, when it wants to. Even with the firmware upgrade it's still a little screwy. Displaying foreign language subtitles from the start even though default settings say no subtitles.

Speaking of the PS3, we probably won't have a landline/cable/dsl based internet connection til about this time next year. We're currently roped into a t-mobile webconnect contract that we hate, but my dad isn't sure if it's worth the penalty to break it off early. Would it still be worth it to pick one up before I have a proper land based internet connection? Pretty sure the mobile stick wouldn't work with it, and even if it would, we only get about 5GB before they slam the breaks on our internet speed. I can usually stretch that about 20days if I'm really really careful.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #20
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

This is the TV I was referring to, where the reviewer claimed it wasn't true 120Hz. It is model # UN32D5500RF. As you can see it's priced $100 less than the one on tiger-direct. But it's also a different model.

Here is Samsung's page for the product.

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 11-29-2011 at 11:38 AM.