Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

http://www.macleans.ca/xta-doc2/2003...er/57737.shtml

As Arab anger mounts, Iraqis abroad prepare to fight

JONATHON GATEHOUSE

SEATS ARE hard to come by on the "Martyrs' Express." Iraqi men line up to stake their claim early in the morning, hours before the bus departs Amman for the first leg of the long and dangerous trip to Baghdad. By the time the battered coach leaves Mahatta station, trailing puffs of diesel exhaust, two other buses have been dispatched to deal with the overflow customers. On board, the mood is as blue and stifling as the curtain of cigarette smoke that drops closer to the floor with each passing kilometre. The passengers are mostly in their 20s and 30s, though there is the odd grey beard and pimply teenage face scattered among them -- labourers, factory workers, even a schoolteacher, all professing the same reason for heading home: to fight against America and its allies.
That's evident on the square where the "Martyrs' Express" loads its would-be warriors. As they wait, they denounce America and salve their wounded national pride. But in a grubby cafe just off the square, one man sits quietly at a table, apart from his fellow Iraqis, smoking and watching the pelting rain outside. Later, after the others have gone, he speaks in a low voice, talking about his 16 brothers in Baghdad, his time as a member of the Republican Guard -- and his decision not to return to fight.

"In all of the Arab countries, there's no freedom of speech, so if I say what I really think, I'll be in deep trouble," he says. "In the end, none of these decisions are really in the hands of the people anyway." He cuts the conversation short, worried that others might be listening. He won't give his name, but he's willing to provide a number -- the file identifier for his refugee claim to Canada.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I just took the first couple paragraphas from the first and last of the article. It appears that many are returning home to fight for Saddham but their are those that will not fight and will just let what happens, happen. Bush was wrong in his unilaterial approach, someone said 100 Bin Ladens were created as a result but I would place the number in the 1000's.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

And, thankfully, they're all coming to join in the fight, where they can form a queue and each wait to receive their 100 virgins - our boys will be happy to oblige.

The guy in the cafe who would not speak was light years more credible and intelligent.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It is sad indeed to see those Iraquis lied to and told that the war is in their favor, that they are progressing and that they are holding strong against us. The govt. is trying to rally them together to be voluntary shields so that they can have more time to plan or escape...I dunno. The ones that believe those tales of victory and paradise are sad losses. They were merely gullible enough to believe in those people that couldn't care less about their individual lives.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Some cluster bombs dropped on them after they cross the boarder would let these Dumb Asses know what's in store for them.
[img]graemlins/tomcat.gif[/img]
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:36 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

It will be sad indeed. The smarter thing to do would be to sit out and let the coalition do its job to take Saddham out.

[ 04-02-2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:02 PM   #6
Thoran
Galvatron

The Air Force can put up a queue and a desk at the border with one of those tear off number wheels and a sign that says "Now Serving : 223... 224... 225... 226", that'll be the most efficient way to unite each martyr with his promised virgins.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:20 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
The Air Force can put up a queue and a desk at the border with one of those tear off number wheels and a sign that says "Now Serving : 223... 224... 225... 226", that'll be the most efficient way to unite each martyr with his promised virgins.
ROFL!
Hey...if I join their religion...do you think they'll give me some virgins? I won't ask for many...just a dozen maybe.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
ROFL!
Hey...if I join their religion...do you think they'll give me some virgins? I won't ask for many...just a dozen maybe.
[/QUOTE]But what would your wife think!
Old 04-02-2003, 05:19 PM   #9
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
It is sad indeed to see those Iraquis lied to and told that the war is in their favor, that they are progressing and that they are holding strong against us. The govt. is trying to rally them together to be voluntary shields so that they can have more time to plan or escape...I dunno. The ones that believe those tales of victory and paradise are sad losses. They were merely gullible enough to believe in those people that couldn't care less about their individual lives.
Larry, there is a common misconception that every Iraqi fighting the the US/UK forces are pro-Saddam. It isn't true.

The BBC have been running this story since the first bus left Jordan at the beginning of the war. When interviewed, nearly all of them talk about removing the 'invaders'. Very *few* are pro-Saddam - they just don't want foreigners running their country.

In a BBC interview with one of the shi'ites in Umm Qasar, the following statement was made:
"You kill Saddam - we welcome you. You stay we - fight you."
So the interviewer asked him how long the US/UK forces would be welcome for, after Saddam was killed and he said: "One day".

Meanwhile, the US is planning a UK style colonial administration to run Iraq after the fall of Saddam. I see trouble ahead...
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:29 PM   #10
Mordenheim
Elminster

Afghanistan

is a much better place and all the woe is me people were wrong. Other then a few skirmishes (by terrorists) the people act in gratitude. Schools, hospitals, are getting built and women are walking freely much to the pain of the cavemen.

Now I understand Afghanistan might be different then Iraq. I doubt it though and all these woe is me people will be wrong again. The majority will be happy while a few cavemen will be ticked off. That is if the supressed people do not hang them up first.
Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote