Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2003, 03:05 PM   #1
Gil-Galad
The Magister

I'm stuck with the beholder & friends, and I am in dire need of some inspiration here...

1) I can't beef my party up with spells, as he casts Dispel Magic every round.
2) I can't cast any spells during the fight, as they all fail for some reason.
3) I can't seem to protect my weaker party members, as they stand closer to the monsters.

In other words my Druid, my Sorcerer, my Wizard/Cleric and my Rogue have all died in every attempt - actually my only result so far has been my Paladin standing at the end.

As I see it, you can only fight your way out of this - are there any good tactics out there??

Here's the chosen 6:

1) Aasimar Paladin/4lvl Fighter
2) Human Ranger/4lvl Fighter
3) Halfling Rogue
4) Dark Elf Sorcerer
5) Human Wizard/Cleric (even lvls)
6) Tiefling Druid

All are about lvl 15, and they all have missile weapons, however #4-6 are, quite frankly, dummies when it comes to meelee.

P.S: I know I can turn the difficulty down or ressurrect fallen comrades, but I'd rather not...
Old 08-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The main eye of a beholder shoot an anti-magic ray. That's why all your protections get dispelled and your spellcasters can't cast. Try putting them behind or around him.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

Here's a somewhat cheesy tactic. Talk to the boatman and leave the area and go back to the outer ring. The boatman will let you off at the west side of the ring. Now just walk up and to the E and they you'll see the beholder and his minions across the lava pool. Attack the beholder with magics and ranged weapons. Perhaps summon some monsters to engage the bad guys in melee. This may seem like a cheesy tactic but it works.

Another cheesy tactic is to talk to the boatman and pay to have him heal you when necessary, in the middle of the battle.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

I would kill his pets first! And what you could do is back up your party untill you get to a point were you can not see the beholder(since he stays in pretty much one spot, or atleast for me he did)then cast an arial spell like fireball and cloudkill or higher level spells like that. If those dont work then once you kill hes pets go for him with melee and missle weapons and you can take him down easier.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:29 AM   #5
Gil-Galad
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Magness:
Here's a somewhat cheesy tactic. Talk to the boatman and leave the area and go back to the outer ring. The boatman will let you off at the west side of the ring. Now just walk up and to the E and they you'll see the beholder and his minions across the lava pool. Attack the beholder with magics and ranged weapons. Perhaps summon some monsters to engage the bad guys in melee. This may seem like a cheesy tactic but it works.
Yep, that worked just fine for me. If you consider it cheesy, what about this: To "roleplay" the scene, your spellcasters are effectively made redundant without any means of disabling the antimagic ray. The beholder can only be hit by missile weapons, which will take quite a while to get him down (if you're lucky!). In the meantime, your defenseless spellcasters have been killed by one of the hellhounds, trolls, effreet, or flamewalkers that simply walked around your fighters.
I think you could easily play through the entire game without pure spellcasters in your party, eh???