Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2004, 03:49 AM   #11
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Yeah, Rome is great. It's also the easist city to sneak onto the Metro line.
Not true - it's easier in Amsterdam, where on almost all stops there AREN'T even any attendants at all! LOL. Once in a blue moon there'll be patrols on the metro itself, but as long as you avoid those, dodging fare is almost too easy to pass up. (I usually don't though, because when you do get caught the fine's pretty steep)

Aelia, I'm thrilled for you, that's so cool!! You must be pretty excited. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've been to Stirling a couple of times and could probably give you some help there (esp. if I ask my ex - he's lived there for 6 months). The Wallace Statue is crap, the Monument is cool but I wouldn't pay the several pounds they charge to climb to the top. If you have good shoes with you, I'd climb a hill in the surroundings instead. I love Scotland and Ireland for the climbing/hiking. We took a day to walk through the surroundings, got to the top of a hill, loved the views. It's pretty adventurous and less touristy. If you're looking for good restaurants/places to go out, I could check for you (can't remember them all off the top of my head)... But anyway, Stirling's a lovely place! You could also take a walk on the University campus, which is lovely, it has its own (artificial, granted) Loch and a castle, and there are millions of rabbits, squirrels, swans and ducks in the area: aaaawwwwwwww!!
Oh, and in near-by Bridge Of Allan there's a very good 2ndhand bookstore in case you're into that sort of thing.
I don't know what kind of transport you're going to use, but both Edinburgh and Glasgow are fairly easy to reach by train/bus. Of course the one thing in Edinburgh you HAVE to do is take a ghost tour (they usually start at the Mercat Cross). I've been to the castle too which was cool but expensive. Just walking through the city is great in itself, I've never seen a city like it, with the castle on the hilltop and the gardens underneath. The National Gallery is another recommendation, but if you go to Glasgow, there's a smaller museum there called the Glasgow Art Gallery that has one of my favourite Dali paintings (Christ of St John Of The Cross). It was heavily damaged by some vandal though - you can still see the knifecuts in the canvas. Glasgow was easily as much fun in Edinburgh, to me. Oh, and both cities have great second hand bookstores. If you need specific info, let me know!
Oh, I almost forgot - having pizza in Perth with Mouse is also an unforgettable experience. Perth is soooooooooo lively and vibrant. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

As for Italy, too bad, I could expound for days on the joys of taking out a car and go driving through Tuscany
I haven't been to Rome but anyone could tell you what to see there (doh) so no problems there. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2004, 04:52 AM   #12
Donut
Jack Burton

Not much to do in London I'm afraid.

But make sure you visit Lord's to see the Ashes.

Sounds like a great trip Aelia.

[ 03-31-2004, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 03-31-2004, 04:56 AM   #13
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, there's always Upton Park of course.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:01 AM   #14
Davros
Takhisis Follower

When walking in London - stop suddenly and stare up at teh nearest building. The locals just love it - dodging slow moving tourists is their favourite pastime .

Apart from that - well I already sent you tons of suggestions in my email .
Old 03-31-2004, 06:44 AM   #15
philip
Galvatron

If you're in Paris going up the Eiffel Tower (?) by night. It's a great sight, you can see a lot of the 'monuments' cause they seem to be (or are) lighted better. I did that on a school trip and from the top we could say, we went there, there and that's that.

For Rome I think all the great things are listed already. Been there once for only a day. But in may I'm going to Rome again with school for 9 days [img]smile.gif[/img]

For Paris I have one tip, you should avoid youth hostel d'Artagnan (not a real hotel but better to be safe than sorry). Your stuff isn't safe there cause members of the staff steal a lot. Food is terrible ('hey what's this stuff? potato or egg, I suppose. *friend tries it* 'mm still not sure').
Also a thread on the school forum shows some interesting review sites with more things you can (but don't want to) cross in this youth hostel.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:00 AM   #16
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Thanks for all those ideas, Mark! We were thinking of a boat tour. Were you able to speak French when you were there? Neither of us do very well at all; we're buying phrase books and so on and we're really going to try but I can see us being pretty hopeless at it - will it be a problem do you think?
I can't speak French and my wife Debra does a little, her Mom is French-Canadian. We also stayed with Debra's friend who has lived in Paris for about 5 or 6 years, though she is not fluent either.

The people we met we very tolerant and knew some English so it was never a problem. I think the tourist industry needs to know some English just so they won't lose some business, so it's not a big problem.

We had a few funny encounters due to a perceived language barrier that was just not there.

DO NOT LEAVE PARIS without eating the bread or the Ice Cream. Both are too good too miss!

My vacation in Paris was a perfect one and I really wish we could do it again, but there are so many other places to go. I think we will go again after we retire. I envy the people of Europe. They can visit other countries as easily (especially now that there is a common currency) as we Americans visit other states. There's so much to see that is culturally diverse and historically wondrous.

If you can get it, buy this book. It's called 1,000 Places to See Before You Die. It doesn't go into deep detail, but it does give you ideas for where to go and then you can research them on the Net. I bought it for my wife's birthday and it will be referred to as we plan future trips. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark
Old 03-31-2004, 07:12 AM   #17
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Not much to do in London I'm afraid.

But make sure you visit Lord's to see the Ashes.

Sounds like a great trip Aelia.
How can you say that? I could spend days in the British Museum alone! There's The Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral (Whispering Gallery), West Minster Abbey, Madame Tussaud's, The National Gallery, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace...somebody stop before I explode.

To be fair I guess there's not much to do if you live there (at least I think you live there, Donut). Try living in Vermont, where the biggest attraction is the Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I wish I could go to London right now, but I guess I can wait.

Mark
Old 03-31-2004, 07:32 AM   #18
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Mark - I have to give you lessons in Donut's subtitle sometime
Old 03-31-2004, 08:14 AM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

I can recommend the London Eye and if you want a guided tour try this
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 03-31-2004, 08:29 AM   #20
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Mark - I have to give you lessons in Donut's subtitle sometime
Thanx for the headsup Davros! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Donut, I apologize for jumping the gun, I guess it may be time for classes!

Mark