Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 12:53 AM   #1
Sythe
Ra

Mad

I am thinking to increase my status with the Pagans from Hostile to Neutral. And I know one of the ways I can do this is shooting moss arrows on the green Pagan glyphs. I did this but nothing happened did I do something wrong?

2. Thief 1 Major Spoiler
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Didn't Garret lose his eye when Vikortia yanked it out with her clawed hands? I don't think it left a vertical scar did it? The scarwould give someone new to the series that he lost his eye due to a slash from a sword or a dagger.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Damn i dont get the game before the 25th grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! i hope you like it Sythe, is it a good game??
But he get the meckanical eye after Viktoria pulled the fresh eye out.

[ 06-05-2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:06 AM   #3
Sythe
Ra

The game is indeed very good. It still has the "Thief feel" as in the previous games. Several improvements have been made like lockpicking which is pretty fun. And the mechanical eye zoom in and out feature is awesome. Also mantling has been greatly greatly improved. But not everything alas is not so sweet. You might know there is no rope arrows and as a replacement are climbing gloves. I got this item quite recently but there were few times when I really needed to use them. Also there was a guard facing a window and right next to him was a chest. I was lockpicking it, thus making a lot of sound but the guard seemed not to take notice whatsoever. Also there were two guards. I blackjacked one of them and flinched as his blade made a loud clanging on the stone floor. The other guard did not take notice of this however. I tested this a few more times and it turned out they notice it not at all. There is also an annoying bug that people tend to get stuck in doorways and "float over" a small object such as a bottle in their path.

Did I mention the A.I. has made some improvements? Guards and Servants will notice missing items, doors ajar, a missing guard that was on patrol few moments before and missing item when you pickpocket them such as a bag of money. Pickpocketing, backstabbing and blackjacking are much harder now. You have to quietly creep up on them. If you have your dagger or blackjack out (Blackjack for me usually. I use lethal tactics only when I have to or for revenge) once you get close enough with your weapon Garret will automatically raise it (and note that you don't have to hold the mouse button as in the previous games. Which is a bit of a let down.) you just click once and you stab or swing downward. The blackjack swing though is too fast. The dagger stab is fast also but I can actually see it clearly.

The arrows from the previous series are here also such as noisemakers, water, moss etc all except rope arrows. *sigh*

You have the opportunity to do some side missions which is really cool and listen to useful information of which leads you to some goods. You can sell your goods at anytime. But you cannot sell all your stolen things to one fence however. And when you sell your things you get cash in which you can purchase arrows, flashbombs and all the like.

Also a tip. Do not hoard your equipment. In Thief 1 and 2 I rarely used flashbombs, gas arrows, or fire arrows. I kept on thinking "I would need these later in the level." And it turns out each time I won't. Noisemakers are expensive but I use them often. If I accidently make a loud noise and a guard starts coming toward me (and I am backed in a corner mind you.) When I feel he is going to bump into me I just quickily take out a noise maker and shoot it above their head. If there is more than one guard shoot a noisemaker at an area and when they are all bunched up together throw in a gas bomb. Do not be afraid to use your items as I said before because it would take away some of the gameplay and you would always have loot for sale to restock your equipment. And the game gives you a moral choices. I was in this rich widow's house and nearly robbed everything there. I found a secret room where only she and her deceased husband knows of. The husband left all the treasure he collected over the years inside a chest. And left the loot there so his wife can continue to pay the servants and still live in her home. The widow was mad with despair and I pondered for a few moments to

A) Take the loot, sell it and get a lot of cash. But that would mean the widow would likely perish because she won't be able to survive with no servants or guards and cannot purchase food. And the fact she would be more sad than she was already for having lost everything.

B)Leave the loot so she can still have something!

I felt Yin and Yang pulling at me. And guess what I did....... [img]tongue.gif[/img] I took the loot. When I was near the exit I cried out "Damnation." And reloaded the game. I left the loot alone and killed every traitrous servant and guard planning of robbing her.

Overall the game is very good but a little iffy here and there and sometimes can be of annoyance. But overall it is very fun especially at the tension moments.

[ 06-05-2004, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Sythe ]
Old 06-06-2004, 05:39 AM   #4
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sythe:
I was in this rich widow's house and nearly robbed everything there. I found a secret room where only she and her deceased husband knows of. The husband left all the treasure he collected over the years inside a chest. And left the loot there so his wife can continue to pay the servants and still live in her home. The widow was mad with despair and I pondered for a few moments to

A) Take the loot, sell it and get a lot of cash. But that would mean the widow would likely perish because she won't be able to survive with no servants or guards and cannot purchase food. And the fact she would be more sad than she was already for having lost everything.

B)Leave the loot so she can still have something!

I felt Yin and Yang pulling at me. And guess what I did....... [img]tongue.gif[/img] I took the loot. When I was near the exit I cried out "Damnation." And reloaded the game. I left the loot alone and killed every traitrous servant and guard planning of robbing her.
Disgraceful [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Should have taken everything you could get your hands on.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Sythe
Ra

LoL yeah I know I am a pretty pathetic thief. I wish I can be more evil like you shadowhound. But you know when I was near her she asked for wine and then I found some nearby but didn't take it! Ooooh I'm sooo bad! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

And guess what I thought of an alternate choice that would have put me at ease.

C) Put the widow out of her misery by backstabbing her and then taking the loot. Damn I should have thought of that.

[ 06-06-2004, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Sythe ]