Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
PsykoTroniK
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi ppl,

Its great to be here. Listen, I specifically came to ironworksforum.com to get some help on a specific subject and I hope dat alot of u guys can help me. I plan on staying on at IWF, but getting some helpful help here might make it even a better idea to stay on. Please guys I need help with this bigtime!

Here's the thing: I downloaded some ROMs and some ROM Emulators, but now when I try to run some of the ROMs (games) on the emulator, it tells me some of the files were missing so the game cannot be run. How is this, when I actually downloaded the game ROM as it is? I mean its supposed to be complete when I download it isn't it? But where can I find the files that are short anyway?

The emulator I'm talking about is a MAME emulator and I've tried different MAME emulators as well and they all tell me on some of the ROMs that there are missing files so the game cannot be started.

The emulators and ROMs for SNES works fine for example, and it would be expected as the ROMs only come in ONE single .SMC file. But the MAME ROMs are .BIN files etc. A few of them per game actually. ??

Please. ANY help on this would be so very much appreciated.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Just because you said you would stay isn't gonna make your question any less Illegal.

When you can justify to me that you should be able to do this, I will help you.

*edit* no little nastys please be nice to the new guys

[ 03-06-2006, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:27 AM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Well....where do we start. ROMS and emulation software is against the TOS of this site.

Im sure Nintendo wouldn't like you not paying for the games that their designers worked so hard on. Sure some of the games are over 10 years old.

Never the less Im not sure you will get much help in regards to using those ROMS.

But please stick around and enjoy your stay.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Uh, some of this stuff is available as Freeware now. I can't say if this is the case, and I'm not really wanting to do a lot of research to see what's what with Nintendo.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I do not think that MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulators) is illegal, and that is what he is asking about. I've read about them before, and they initially convinced me that they were clean.

However, legal or not, there will not be enough people on this website that can be of any help to any specific problem with MAME. Therefore, I suggest to you, PsykoTroniK, that you type in MAME32 into your google search and on the first page you'll see a link or two to forums that were made specifically for your type of questions.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #6
PsykoTroniK
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay I can understand I'm in that case not gonna get much help here. But I just want to clear something as well here which is confusing me now. I was on the website (or a few of them) where these emulators and roms can be downloaded and I read what they said as far as legal or not legal is concerned. They said you may use these roms (obviously not commercially) as long as you own the original cartridge as well... well I still have all my old NES games for instance but I stumbled upon the roms on the web when I was searching and hoping to find PC versions of those games. Pity I didn't actually find PC versions though. Anyway I also noticed on the site that Nintendo, Sega, Neo Geo etc etc doesn't even have much of a problem with their games being available on the web as emulations. Note this is an ASSUMPTION I'm making due to the fact that I saw the update log/history of the site. I saw that there was for instance 5 games removed from their site as per request from one of these console companies, and almost never again. Judging by THAT I know that these companies are aware of these ROMs being freely available for download and it doesn't bother them too much it seems except when they decide they do have a problem with one of their games being freely available on a site.

I do hope you understand what I'm trying to point out here.

And also my sincere apologies for the "agains the TOS of the site" thing.

The honesty from you all is appreciated though. Thank you.

And if it matters much, I think I'm staying on anyway. All of you were very quick with replies and I think wheneverI need gaming help this is the place.

Kind regards
Old 03-07-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Rightio, I apologise for the quick and harsh response I gave you, i'm just used to these topics being from one time posters who want free games, so I may have been a little quick to judge, but this is a touchy subject.

Anyways, what sort of files are in the package you downloaded?
The files needed vary depending on the system they ran on, ie, some will be .BIN files whereas some will have multiple .U** files.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
PsykoTroniK
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No problem Hivetyrant, you are forgiven.
And just for interest sake I don't have a problem with freeware games, hehehe, everyone loves free stuff. But my previous message said why I actually went looking for those games on the net.
You know its funny actually that you don't get them as PC versions because on NES I got Battle Chess and I also have the one for PC. Hmmm. Isn't there some heaven sent angel that can maybe do these conversions for us... [img]smile.gif[/img] ? If not its not a problem the emulation of NES games work fine I suppose.

Oh boy, the file extensions I'll just have to go make sure of cos I'm at work when I post and I've also not messed around much with the MAME roms because they didn't seem to really work. I'll check them and post again tomorrow, but if I remember correctly you are right because there are .BIN files, .S* files, and I'm not too sure what else but I'll check it and reply.

Here's how it started Hivetyrant: I've never stopped being fond of all these old games, for example, I still have the Mortal Kombat 1 PC game, Doom 1, Doom 2, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, Wolfenstein 3D, Polica Quest, Golden Axe etc. I have always been a person that looks after my stuff so that it lasts forever. Sometimes I'm so bad I sometimes make backup copies to use and put away my originals. But here's the thing... recently I've been getting this fever, this fever for the old games. Yes games of nowadays have nice graphics, intense gameplay, they are more complex, puzzling, questing etc etc. But I think the simplicity and no need to THINK much (meaning actually relaxing) of the old games, has me hooked, because you can just relax and just enjoy the game. And when its game over its game over. The ONE game I actually went on the net for to look for a PC version was Tiger-Heli. My gosh thats a cool game! I still love it to pieces! I actually have another question for anyone that can answer: Are there any more games (new and old) such as Tiger-Heli, Demonstar (specifically this one), 1942, 1943 etc. available out there (all for PC) [img]smile.gif[/img] ?

Just thought you'd understand more if I tell you the story Hivetyrant.

If you or anyone can please answer the two questions I put in this message (marked with smilies IN-sentence) along with any comments if you have any, I would appreciate that very much.

[ 03-08-2006, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: PsykoTroniK ]
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 AM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I know just how you feel, I just got my copy of Command & Conquer:the first decade which has all the originals which I was never smart enough to take care of, and now I can play them! And yes, games these days are awesome, but somehow, even with the severe lack of visual and audio quality of old games, they are still appealing, and it would seem that this is a fairly common trend and this point in time.

Anyways, I will await your response on the file extensions and look into your problem a bit more.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #10
PsykoTroniK
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hivetyrant do you not maybe have any kind of answers for me with those two questions in my last post please?

Darn! Sorry Hivetyrant, things have been so crazy the last day or two that I completely forgot to check out the extensions. Please dont run away though, I will post them on Monday morning quickly if not maybe over the weekend.

Thank you for the help so far as well.

I appreciate it alot.