Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 09:58 AM   #1
GodSlayer
Dungeon Master

Hello

I've just bought Arcanum, but haven't played it yet (still playing wiz 8) but is it any good. I like the turn based combat, but normally I don't like the mix of fantasy with technology. Even though in wiz 8 it's ok. I've heard that there are some tech in dungeon siege also (which I also bought but haven't played and the same goes for MM9)

Question : which of the following games does all you freaks like the best (and why) :

Might and Magic 9
Wizardry 8
Dungeon Siege
Arcanum

Are there any other RPG games out there that's worth buying or comming soon (Not including Morrowind and Neverwinter - which I am going to buy for sure)

I like the turn based type best, and even though DS is real time it can be paused (says the manual)

GodSlayer
Old 05-02-2002, 10:08 AM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Icewind Dale 2...?
Old 05-02-2002, 10:17 AM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

hi, godslayer! ive never seen you before, you must be new [img]smile.gif[/img]
anyway, i like Dungeon Siege most, of all the games you named because ive only played Arcanum and DS. sorry, but i think youll be dissapointed about Arcanum. i sure was because well, for one thing the graphics were bad, though i dont think graphics matter much, it shouldve been better. the levelup stuff was a bit unbalanced and one thing i hated was that when i first played it, i really wanted to be a gun shooter. it was horrible! the weapons were totally unbalanced, by all means, choose melee, it will make your game easier, i guarantee it. DS was good, but i liked the diablos and Bgs more(this is the part where everybody beats me up ). one game i totally recommend is Fallout. though it is a future RPG, with no swords or magic, it is still one of the best RPGs ever created. and since ive heard that Fallout 2 is much longer and better than Fallout, try that too! if you want an RPG with a spectacular story, check out Planescape Torment(though it isnt turn-based).
Old 05-02-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSlayer:

Might and Magic 9
Wizardry 8
Dungeon Siege
Arcanum

Are there any other RPG games out there that's worth buying or comming soon (Not including Morrowind and Neverwinter - which I am going to buy for sure)

I like the turn based type best, and even though DS is real time it can be paused (says the manual)

GodSlayer
Well sorry to say neither of your listed ones are in my to buy list.. :S
Morrowind and neverwinter for sure, but none of the others. IWD 2 though is the one I´m really want to try out right now..

DS.. Well bought it, but my opinion is that thoose money is better spent on something else, I really got boored out with that one. Alot of people like it though so head over to the DS forum instead and read it.I´m also hoping that Black Isle will anounce that their latest edition will be FALLOUT3!!!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 05-02-2002, 11:51 AM   #5
GodSlayer
Dungeon Master

I've allready played through fallout 1 and 2 - and number 2 is better than nr. 1, but easier (the fights are easyier)

I've played bg1 and 2 - and though I'm a big AD&D roleplayer I was disappointed about it - sure I played through them both, but still something missing. IWD - I never got through it - too boring, and the same goes for planescape.

The best AD&D games even is still the old 1st edition forgotten realms games : pool of radiance, curse of the azure bonds, secret of the silver blades, and Pools of darkness - even though I never completed POD (tooooo biiig)

The new Pool of radiance 2 had a nice story and a nice feel, but the fights was too slow, so I never finished that one too.

I also played the "elder scrolls" games (where morrowind is number 3 - i think). But both of them was too buggy even nicely upgraded. I dont think I can remember any games that was so uncompletable even upgraded - and unplayable until the patches came out. And I played them when the internet was new, and patches was hard to come by.

But I really liked the spell creation and so on.

Some of the good RPG games would also be the Might and Magic series (I've played 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) so I bought MM9 as soon as it came out. but haven't played it because I haven't read anything good about it, and they've completely changed the spellsystem - maybe it's ok, but I'm still playing wiz 8 - which is sooooo cool - this game has an "old feeling" to it, and thats nice.

well enough rambling.

PS. how do you use the face icons in the posts ? - I'm pretty new at posting on boards (been sniffing for a long time) but I can see everybody using the icons within the posts.

GodSlayer
Old 05-02-2002, 11:52 AM   #6
GodSlayer
Dungeon Master

I've allready played through fallout 1 and 2 - and number 2 is better than nr. 1, but easier (the fights are easyier)

I've played bg1 and 2 - and though I'm a big AD&D roleplayer I was disappointed about it - sure I played through them both, but still something missing. IWD - I never got through it - too boring, and the same goes for planescape.

The best AD&D games even is still the old 1st edition forgotten realms games : pool of radiance, curse of the azure bonds, secret of the silver blades, and Pools of darkness - even though I never completed POD (tooooo biiig)

The new Pool of radiance 2 had a nice story and a nice feel, but the fights was too slow, so I never finished that one too.

I also played the "elder scrolls" games (where morrowind is number 3 - i think). But both of them was too buggy even nicely upgraded. I dont think I can remember any games that was so uncompletable even upgraded - and unplayable until the patches came out. And I played them when the internet was new, and patches was hard to come by.

But I really liked the spell creation and so on.

Some of the good RPG games would also be the Might and Magic series (I've played 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) so I bought MM9 as soon as it came out. but haven't played it because I haven't read anything good about it, and they've completely changed the spellsystem - maybe it's ok, but I'm still playing wiz 8 - which is sooooo cool - this game has an "old feeling" to it, and thats nice.

well enough rambling.

PS. how do you use the face icons in the posts ? - I'm pretty new at posting on boards (been sniffing for a long time) but I can see everybody using the icons within the posts.

GodSlayer
Old 05-02-2002, 12:02 PM   #7
Beltazar
Zhentarim Guard

best game ever made was *cough metroid cough*...

need I say more?
Old 05-02-2002, 02:18 PM   #8
Krishach
Drow Warrior

Well, he didn't ask for game, he asked RPG, and Metroid definitely isn't a RPG.

Personally, a few my favorite RPG games are(in no special order):
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3
Earthbound

Best of all, you don't have to wait for them to come out, they've been out for years! Good luck finding a cart for cheap though.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:26 PM   #9
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSlayer:

GodSlayer
Well, for the basic face ( [img]smile.gif[/img] ) you simply do a colon : followed by a colon ) or this colon ( for a sad face...
There are many more, including [img]tongue.gif[/img] and [img]redface.gif[/img]
For more smilies and other cool pics check the Graphics Library button at the top.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:21 PM   #10
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I wasn't a big fan of Arcanum - didn't get through it. Just stalled out and lost interest. I am looking forward to IWD II 5-28-02 release date currently. I'm playing PlaneScape Torment and am slowly loseing interest, but am going to buy Wiz 8 next to play...just waiting for the price to come down (hey, I'm cheap).

Just my 2 cents.

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>