Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I bought this game ages ago when it came out but never really got into it. So basically I went back to BG2. I've been pretty bored lately so think I should give the game another chance.

I'm a complete 3rd edition newbie so am basically just wondering what class should I play to give me a "newbie" friendly and fun game. My favorite class in BG2 was the Wild Mage. Also if any veteran Neverwinter Nights players have any advice feel free to share. Remember I'm a complete 3rd edition newbie

BTW I don't have the expansions but will buy them if I like the game.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Zarr, for a quick reference to some of my tips and advice look at my response to Adomo (or is it Adamo?) a few posts below your's. I personally liked the game but it certainly isn't like the Baldur's Gate series. The Original Campaign is okay, but I did like the add-on's better. What I really liked about it was the TON of free modules you can download from Bioware's site. Some are much, much better than what Bioware designed!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
banzai
Manshoon

I had the same problem - never played any game (PC or P&P) with 3rd edition rules before NWN.
For an online reference of v3.5 rules have a look at this document:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments....sage/home.html

Oh my - now the cat is out of its bag, I´m a complete shmuck when it comes to including professional looking hyperlinks. But don´t fear for my salvation, I´ll repent ...

Just a quick addition - there´s an offline version (as zipped HTML) available at:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments....elior_sage.htm

[ 12-02-2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: banzai ]
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Wow, that looks a great site banzai, thanks alot! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'll check it out tomorrow and give it a good read when I get home from work.

Still haven't started my NWN game yet as I've been busy...
Old 12-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, I'm looking at buying the entire set myself. It's $29.99cdn for the Diamond pack. I figure I can't go too far wrong.

I'd welcome some starting suggestions!

Edit: sorry about spelling mistakes!

[ 12-23-2005, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 12-23-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

A few things to keep in mind about the Diamond pack: 1) The manual is in .pdf format, not paper. 2) The premium mods can only be played while you're online because of some security/copy protection. 3) There was some sort of screwup with the games, and you'll have to run the HOTU166 patch update after installing the three originals (NWN, SoU, HOTU). The update is on the DVD.

If you find that troublesome, you may want to consider the platinum pack, which has the three originals and a paper manual. You will still have to update to 1.66 (online).

As to getting started, take your time. There is a lot to learn with this game. Don't worry about epic characters, because you won't reach that level until HOTU. Concentrate on the regular classes and the prestige classes.

In solo character games, I tend to skip magic users. My preferred setup for NWN is Fighter/Weapon Master/Rogue. A few Rogue levels come in very handy. I take them for Detrapping (lotta traps), Search, Persuasion, Tumble, and UMD (which lets you cast spells from scrolls, wands, etc. if you build it up). A little extra sneak damage doesn't hurt either.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Hmm, I did see the Platinum pack and I wondered why it was more expensive. I saw it for $44.99 at EB. I really like a solo character, but will I miis out on quests like other games if I don't have NPC's?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, each of the people you can take as a henchman has a quest you can do for them. However, none are important or vital to the main line, and there is much to do without those. I've never bothered with the hench quests myself, as I prefer going solo.

Other players, though, like having a buddy along. It's a matter of preference more than anything else.

It is strange that the platinum pack should cost more than the diamond. I'd think it would be the other way around. Any other places you can check? I got mine for $30.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
Cornbread
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings,

It has been awhile since I posted in these forums, mostly under wiz8 back in the day. I recently got back in to NWN too and found that taking 1 level of cleric with the animal and healing spheres then going the rest druid is a fun mix with alot of options without feeling really overpowered. The cool thing about going with cleric1/druidX is the animal and healing bonus effects all your druid spells too. You can either go wisdom caster with zen archery, or shield and scimitar melee with your animals as backup. Another cool thing is you get better armor and can still cast divine spells. Grab Tommi, cast a dire wolf and get your panther companion in the mix and bodies hit the floor. You could probably even go the first chapter without tommi and just take the hits from traps and use your uber heals to get better exp. Anyways, it is a pretty solid build all the way through the regular campaigns and gives you a ton of options and feats to work with to round out your character as well. Just a suggestion,

Sly
Cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 05:22 AM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Why take the hits? Why not run about 5 lvls of cleric, and take the find traps spell? You'll take some early, to be sure, but after that...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote