Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Okay this is annoying me. I have 128mb RAM but since my re-formatt, my PC is telling me I have 64mb and is performing so!!! I have checked its inserted properly and such so I don't know what to do!!

Just incase it helps:

Dell Dimension 4100
Pentium III 866mhz
God knows how much ram
Windows ME
64mb NVIDIA TNT2 Graphics Card

[ 10-02-2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Beaumanoir ]
Old 10-01-2003, 08:57 PM   #2
Daniel_M
Elminster

Hmm, try going to system setup (By pressing the 'Del' key when your computer is booting up) and go to hardware settings, im not too sure because some bios menus are different to others, anyway, look for something to do with RAM and set it to said normal RAM if that dosent work, youll have to buy some new RAM [img]tongue.gif[/img] so anyway..thats the only ideas I have for that.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Good luck figuring out some BIOS. [img]smile.gif[/img] The answer lies there.. you can´t go wrong (too many times).

It could also be it has damaged from some part.

128mb is not very much nowadays, or what do you think? I recently upgraded to 512mb and now even the heaviest graphic programs run like anything.

[ 10-01-2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 10-02-2003, 12:09 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Have you removed and reinserted the memory? Sometimes that can clear up connection issues that make something appear to not be there...

Failing that, new memory is fairly cheap. You could get 256MB or thereabouts for next to nothing these days...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:38 AM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceWorg:
Good luck figuring out some BIOS. [img]smile.gif[/img] The answer lies there.. you can´t go wrong (too many times).
Then again, if you do go far enough wrong in BIOS, you can permanently damage hardware. Caution is advised.

But the simplest answer is probably to reseat the RAM, making sure none of the contacts are damaged or dirty.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Presumably you have 2 x 64 meg ram modules. Two things to try. Boot up the machine with only one of the two ram modules at a time. This should show if one is defunct. Then, if you find one is defunct, you can try carefully cleaning it's metallic contacts with a soft pencil eraser to see if that will bring it back to life.

The other possibility is that your ram must be inserted in pairs in specific slots to work, In that case, if you find both modules work via the above test, it looks like you may have a mobo problem.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 10-02-2003, 01:09 PM   #7
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I already tried reinserting. I'm pretty sure I know which one is screwed.. I get worried with the BIOS cause I know you can destroy your Mother Board [img]tongue.gif[/img] Hehehe Well I'll try what you've said. Any other Ideas short of spending my money [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

OKAYYYYYYYYY! Looked at the bios, think I know the problem!!!! It says

Memory: 64mb
Memory Bank 0: Not Installed
Memory Bank 1: 64mb

So it seems memory bank 1 isnt installed... And I install it... HOW? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #9
andrewas
Harper

By putting a DIMM into it. Memory banks are not installed like a graphics card or soundcard. No drivers or anything like that. If theres already a DIMM in it, then either the DIMM or the socket is dead.

EDIT] Now that I think of it, it is vaguely possible that the motherboard drivers could be responsible. See if you cant track down some new drivers. But I've never seen a driver thats bad enough to lose a bank of memory.

[ 10-02-2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 10-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #10
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Okay changed the Memory Cards around, checked the Bios and it said it was now the other one which wasnt installed. So Its not the socket (Thank god) but the card. So Is it just totally gone? Is there no way to get my computer to recognise the memory?