Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ok, I bought this decoder card a long time ago and when I put it into my old Machine in 2000, it made the text look all fuzzy--not extremely bad, but I have 20/21 vision, and can see when a PIXEL is wrong.. [img]smile.gif[/img] but if you know this card (or any DVD Decoder hardware card) you know that you gotta do that wire swap in the back of the PC (hook the Monitor video into the DVD decoder card, then the wire from the Decoder to the Video card) Kinda like the old Voodoo cards were.

ANYWAY, so with my new PC, I have a nVidia Geforce4 4600 128MB ram, so I decided to 'try it' again and see if I get the same problem.

YEP.

So.. Why the hell do these cards do that? I am sure I don't really NEED a Hardware decoder now, since I have such a powerful GOD of a video card [img]smile.gif[/img] . I also have a 2.4Ghz Intel P4 with 512MB ram.. (Took out a freaking loan since I am poor as hell) [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

But the question is, do you think this Decoder would be worth using to watch the DVD's or would this PC be even better without it? (the card runs really hot, and if it's not worth keeping, I don't need the extra heat in the Rig. (This Full tower has 7 fans!!!!!!) Sounds like a damn jet engine I tell ya!

Let me know!

PS: I am a tweak freak and tech, so I tried EVERY little thing to correct that 'fuzzy' effect, but no-go.

--Hey, if its worthless, maybe I'll have [img]graemlins/choc.gif[/img] beat the living crap out of it and chew it up and record it all on video for ya! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] j/k

[ 05-20-2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

Old 05-20-2002, 03:37 PM   #2
MagiK

Do you need the Realmagic card when you have the GeForce4 card?? I thought all GeForce4's had built in codecs for DVD and MPEG decompression?

Im pretty sure my GeForce3 From Hercules has this ability...though Im not home to try it out...and I havent watched a DVD since installing the GeForce3

[ 05-20-2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-20-2002, 03:59 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Do you need the Realmagic card when you have the GeForce4 card?? I thought all GeForce4's had built in codecs for DVD and MPEG decompression?

Im pretty sure my GeForce3 From Hercules has this ability...though Im not home to try it out...and I havent watched a DVD since installing the GeForce3
Yeah, it does, but I didn't know if that codec was better than the hardware.. Since I have such a good system, I am wondering if that DVD Decoder is now just junk or not..

Anyone else?

Old 05-20-2002, 04:11 PM   #4
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:

Yeah, it does, but I didn't know if that codec was better than the hardware.. Since I have such a good system, I am wondering if that DVD Decoder is now just junk or not..

Anyone else?
[/QUOTE]If the ReelMagic card is older than a year, your new card is better and generates less heat. I had thought the ReelMagic stuff had been tossed by most people by now....doesnt mean I dont have my original Creative DVD decoder laying around somewhere [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2002, 04:12 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Last I heard, software mpeg-3 decodeing require a PII 350 processor. Id say the hardware decodeing is a bit redunadant by now.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:38 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
quote:
quote:

Anyone else?
[/QUOTE]If the ReelMagic card is older than a year, your new card is better and generates less heat. I had thought the ReelMagic stuff had been tossed by most people by now....doesnt mean I dont have my original Creative DVD decoder laying around somewhere [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Same here. It's been sitting in a box for a year, but it just looks SO neat with all it's inputs and outputs.. just NEAT to have in the system, makes my PC look even MORE powerful.. aw, ok.. damn it, (Rips the card out and throws it at the wall) Okay. it's history!

I just thought it would be of SOME use, but as I was guessing, Software decoding is better now (with a fast machine).

The only thing it did better at was when you hit FF x8. It was flawless with no paging.

Old 05-20-2002, 04:40 PM   #7
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Last I heard, software mpeg-3 decodeing require a PII 350 processor. Id say the hardware decodeing is a bit redunadant by now.
True but if you want to offload the process so you do not bog down the CPU hardware is the only way to go...not an issue if all you are doing is watching a movie..but if you are rendering graphics and doing other things at the same time.....

Old 05-20-2002, 05:10 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

Similar Topic,

I need something that I can place into my PS2, that will allow me "free-range" on DVDS, I.E - zone free...

Cos I want to play American DVDS on my EURO PS2....

Is there such a thing...I've heard that there is!!!
Old 05-20-2002, 05:20 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Similar Topic,

I need something that I can place into my PS2, that will allow me "free-range" on DVDS, I.E - zone free...

If there IS, you're looking at buying a chip, and solder it on the PS2 motherboard--something that, unless you know what you are doing, can short out yout board.

A good soldering 'how-to' site is:
http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm

Old 05-20-2002, 05:22 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Similar Topic,

If there IS, you're looking at buying a chip, and solder it on the PS2 motherboard--something that, unless you know what you are doing, can short out yout board.

A good soldering 'how-to' site is:
http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm
[/QUOTE]I wouldn't even attempt that, but I heard Action Replay CD's do the trick!!!

Anyone know?