Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2001, 09:57 PM   #1
hailitho
The Magister

I dont yet have WW, waiting for it to be delivered. So this question is probably pretty easy.

Can you start out as a paladin? Or do you just roll your character classless and then go on a quest to decide what class your character is going to be? Or are there basic classes like war that would multiclass into rogue, paladin and then magic who would multi into cleric wizard etc?

hailitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 10:09 PM   #2
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Easy questions have the easiest answers.

When you start out, you can only choose between four classes, Wizard, Warrior, Rouge and Priest. You can then advance to "Elite" classes by joining a guild and completing a "quest." The guilds have specific classes that they will offer. For example, only the Warrior guild lets you choose to become a Barbarian. Some of the quests are simple and some are difficult. And, in order to try for a new role, you must meet the minimum requirements. You cannot be a barbarian if you have a strength of 11 and fortitude of 10.

Then there are three "special" roles that you have to be asked if you want the role. Assissin is the first and the easiest and is a good choice for a rogue. The Valkyrie and Zen Master are only available at almost the very end of the game.

Good Luck,
Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 10:15 PM   #3
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

So much for easy answers.

I see that I forgot to answer your second question. Once you change roles, you keep all traits and characteristics you gained in the previous role. For example, if you are a priest and change to a Paladin, you could still cast any Vine spell you already know even though Paladins cannot normally cast Vine spells. You would be limited in learning new Vine spells, though. If a Rogue switches to a Bard and then a Warlock, he could still disarm traps and pick pockets even though Warlocks can't learn those things. It helps when planning what roles you want to be.

Good Luck,
Knarfling
Old 04-30-2001, 10:34 PM   #4
hailitho
The Magister

Thanks.

From what other posts I've been reading once you go out of a class you cannot go back is that true?

So If I wanted to play a paladin I would role a warrior then do the paladin quest right?

But if I did it right away id never be able to join the warriors guild again correct or wrong?

If that is correct what lvl should I raise warrior till I multiclass to a paladin?
Old 04-30-2001, 10:58 PM   #5
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

You are correct, once you leave a role, you can never go back to it. If you became a ranger and then a palidin, you could never go back to being a ranger. If you wanted to be a palidin, you could either be a priest or a warrior and choose to ascend from either role. But remember, you get to keep some of the attributes. So if you are a member of the Warrior's Guild, you stay a member. But you also get to join other guilds, too. A palidin can be a member of both the Warrior's Guild and the Priest's Guild. So it is possible for all your characters to join every guild and have all roles available to them. A rogue could become a ninja and be allowed into the Warrior's Guild. He could then become a palidin if he wanted later on even though paladin is not normally available to a rogue.

As for when to switch, there are as many opinions as there are people on this board. (There might even be more because some people are of two or three minds about this.) For the most part, it makes sense to switch From a warrior fairly quickly. There are many benefits to the elite roles and few drawbacks. With your Wizard and Priest, however, there is a major drawback. You can only learn spells of a former type at half the level you could before. Let me explain. A priest can learn Spirit and Vine spells. If he gets to level 6 Vine magic, he can learn up to level 6 Vine spells. If he changes to a paladin, he can only learn up to level 3 Vine spells. He can still cast any level 6 Vine spells that he has learned but he cannot learn new ones. The same is true with a Wizard and some of his classes. So it makes sense to let them learn the as many spells as they can.

Another this is that certain classes have traits available to them and only them. A paladin, once he reaches guild level 5, can learn the Crusader Trait which makes it easier to hit undead and gives him double the exp for undead. But if you change from a Paladin to another class before you reach guild level 5, you can never get the trait. A bard can learn Trickery and Iron Lung when he reaches guild level 5, but cannot learn them if he changes to an assassin or ninja before reaching that level.

There are many pointers on the board, but don't expect your first set of characters to make it through the game all the way. I started over 3 times before I got the group that I wanted all the way to the end of the game. And I have played it several times since then to develop the characters a little differently. Just have fun with them.

Knarfling

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Old 04-30-2001, 11:30 PM   #6
hailitho
The Magister

hmm lots of tips in there maybe too many. i'm confused now.

basically on the war to paladin issue I should just do it whenever *I* think it is a good time do so. but by most of your examples you listed all these skills different classes got at 5. Is the warrior the same?

Can you just make a warrior and not do the warrior quest to be a warrior and just do the paladin quest then go back and do the warrior quest when I want?

Hmmm... maybe I will just wait till I get the game probably easier to answer for myself. Thanks though!
Old 04-30-2001, 11:55 PM   #7
Moni

Hello Halitho!
First off let me welcome you to the BEST W&W forum anywhere!
I am sure you will enjoy the game once you get it!

I just wanted to tell you that since you start out as a Warrior, there is nothing you have to do to become one beyond your initial creation of the character. : )
There is a way to acquire the quest of Paladin, join the Priest's guild and cancel the quest, allowing your still-warrior character to be a member of not only the warrior's guild, but the priest's guild as well. I do believe you can later ask for the quest again and actually become a Paladin. This trick is mainly to give you access to the guilds early on in the game.

Once you change roles, you are still a member of all guild you belonged to prior to the role ascension...I think that addresses one of your questions directly.

Other players/posters have more info on the trick with the quest cancelation to allow you early access to the guilds and can help you out with more details since I have never done it, only read about it. If what I have posted is at all wrong, someone will correct me.

Well, I'll let you go and wait on the delivery of your game LOL!

Feel free to ask anything here, you are bound to get a variety of correct answers!

Moni
Old 05-01-2001, 12:01 AM   #8
hailitho
The Magister

Moni did you mean there was a *cheat* that would allow you to level up in each and every guild while keeping all stats and stuff from all the others?

This gets more confusing every post, lol.
Old 05-01-2001, 12:04 AM   #9
Moni

LOL, I don't know if it is technically a "cheat" or just a "trick"!
I'll search for a thread with some information on it and point you to it once I bump it up to the top OK?

Someone might be along with more info before I find it though (LOL) so don't give up on your thread here!

Moni
Old 05-01-2001, 12:06 AM   #10
Moni

ACK! The "Search" option is only showing results for posts added since the return of the forum! This may take me longer than I expected but I will keep trying!

Moni