Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2002, 11:53 AM   #1
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Okay. Here's the scoop. I want to play multiplayer NWN. but I don't know what site would host it. Also, what is the best level to start playing multi with? Level 8? 10? 3?
Old 08-24-2002, 11:57 AM   #2
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
Okay. Here's the scoop. I want to play multiplayer NWN. but I don't know what site would host it. Also, what is the best level to start playing multi with? Level 8? 10? 3?
Are you looking to host your own game? Or are you looking to connect to another computer? Whoever runs the game is hosting the game. Other people connect to that system, so you would want someone with the fastest/bestest computer to start the game from. Also, as to levels, it matters on whatever module you plan to play (or whatever the other PC's levels are if you want to get about the same XP).

EDIT: I say that about levels because I have played a lot of mods recently that you need to be level 20 to SURVIVE in. There are others that you have to be low level. If you are looking to connect via GAMESPY, it will list what levels are allowed. You can click on the word levels and it will sort them.

[ 08-24-2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]
Old 08-24-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
quote:
Are you looking to host your own game? Or are you looking to connect to another computer? Whoever runs the game is hosting the game. Other people connect to that system, so you would want someone with the fastest/bestest computer to start the game from. Also, as to levels, it matters on whatever module you plan to play (or whatever the other PC's levels are if you want to get about the same XP).

EDIT: I say that about levels because I have played a lot of mods recently that you need to be level 20 to SURVIVE in. There are others that you have to be low level. If you are looking to connect via GAMESPY, it will list what levels are allowed. You can click on the word levels and it will sort them.
[/QUOTE]No, I meant which would be the best site that would provide the connection? I am planning to play the original module. I have a level 8 druid, a level 12 druid, a level 18 barbarian, and a level 12 barbarian.

[ 08-24-2002, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Willard ]
Old 08-24-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
quote:

[/QUOTE]No, I meant which would be the best site that would provide the connection? I am planning to play the original module. I have a level 8 druid, a level 12 druid, a level 18 barbarian, and a level 12 barbarian.
[/QUOTE]I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, dude...tell me if I have this right: you want to play multiplayer with a bunch of other people, but you want to play the Official Campaign - is this correct?

If it is, you have two options:

1. You can host the game yourself. All being a server host means is that you run the game on your PC just like you were playing singleplayer, except you click on MultiPlayer instead of Singleplayer, create an ID (this is VERY easy) and click on New Internet Game. (In NWN there is NO difference between Single and Multiplayer - except that in Multiplayer other people can find your computer using the MP client and join in).

You will be given options to name your server (you can name it anything you want, eg Willards Wonderful World or something) and specify whatever rules you want to have (eg level limits, item level restrictions, legal characters, etc). You can also specify what genre your game will be (Action, Roleplay, etc - you choose from a list). It's all pretty self-explanatory - if you haven't tried it yet I suggest you do so - you'll be amazed at how easy it is. Most people who ask about Multiplayer haven't even tried to click on the Multiplayer button. Click on it!

All other people then have to do is find your game when they click on Multiplayer (they will click on Join Internet Game and go to the list where they know your game is (Action, Roleplay, etc) and when they find your game they click Connect and they join. It's that simple! [img]smile.gif[/img]

2. The second option is to join an existing game, where all you do is Click on Multiplayer, click on Join Internet Game, and find a game you want to join. Find one which is running the official campaign (you can tell this by the mod name) and click on Connect when you find one.

Have a go!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 01:14 PM   #5
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
No, I meant which would be the best site that would provide the connection? I am planning to play the original module. I have a level 8 druid, a level 12 druid, a level 18 barbarian, and a level 12 barbarian.
Level 8 Druid should be able to handle Chapter 2, Level 12 Chapter 3, and Level 18 Chapter 4. Make sure to select Multiplayer from first screen. Be aware that if you decide to connect to someone else's server, you cannot guarantee how much of the chapter will be done before you get there. Any single player game that you have saved, you can play multi-player. (The way that you access this is to select Load Game (Internet or LAN). There are a few differences though. When you go into the saved game, the people will not recognize you (if you have henchmen, they will see you as foreign and will attack you). Also, whatever quests you have done will not be listed. You can also decide to select New Game (Lan or Internet), and this will allow you to select whatever chapter you want to do, completely fresh. Meaning that NOTHING has been done in it. That is all taking it that you decide to host the game. Also, unless you want EVERYONE and their brother coming into your game (possibly PK'ers), then you need to put a password on your game. You select this from the same screen that you choose what module to load. If you want to play someone else's game, then you have to select JOIN GAME (internet or Lan). This will pull up Gamespy and give you a listing of what servers are hosting what games. Somewhere to the right of the listing is the recommended levels. You need to ensure that your character fits the requirements or it will not allow you to join. In the middle lower left hand of the screen somewhere are 3 checkboxes. 1 is local server, another is Password, and another is regular server. If you want to be able to use YOUR character in ANOTHER person's game, you will have to check local server. If you don't want to see passworded games, then you have to click on that check box. If you want to join a game that has a password, you have to make sure that the check box is clear, otherwise you won't see the game. Best thing to do is just look for something that looks like what you want to try and double click. If you can get in, you will get an idea of how it goes. Remember that GAMESPY lists how many players are online, so it's best to go into a game that has at least 1 player. Some people are pretty rude, so if that happens, just exit game and then reconnect to another one. Once you connect a few times, it gets easier. I had a hard time trying to connect to Chewbacca's mod, but have learned how to connect to others now. Remember that there is more than 1 listing of servers too. In the upper left hand side of the server listing, it shows different gaming types. If you need any help, just post and we will do what we can. Also, on GAMESPY, There is a chat window that you can talk to other people from. Some people will help you, others are busy just bs'ing. Have some patience and you will get an answer. Good luck to you. It's a completely different world once you go online. Some of it is TOTALLY AWESOME. Others, not so awesome.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:26 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

You can check out NW connections as well, it's a site dedicated to linking players to games and vice versa without all the bs that goes on in game spy.

http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/

I havent tried it yet myself, but it gets rave reviews!