Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 11:01 PM   #21
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
I've had a few major setbacks in my life.

How many times has Donald Trump been bankrupt, or on the verge? Take a look at the majority of succesful people and you'll find that they had their share of setbacks.

The key is to use it as a learning experience, to find out why you were passed up for the promotion.

I own several business, and oversee about 1000 employees through various field managers and have had to make many decisions regarding whether or not to promote specific individuals within my companies more times than I can count.

The most major setback I've faced is being shot. I was in rehab for over 2 years, had to learn how to walk, how to feed myself, and in general how to cope with everyday life that most people take for granted. Today, I am very succesful.

Take it, learn from it, and improve yourself. [img]smile.gif[/img]
have any companies down here? I need a job
Old 08-03-2004, 11:12 PM   #22
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

All I can say about this matter is that "What goes around, comes around" Strangely I believe in karma, and I believe I will get what I deserve. If I don't get what I feel I deserve, I just stick to my faith believing taht God has a better plan for me. I keep my faith and I live my life by the day; which you can learn a lot from it already.

One important thing my teacher told me when I was in first year high school: "God does not give problems you cannot handle."

Cheers to all [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2004, 11:28 PM   #23
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
All I can say about this matter is that "What goes around, comes around" Strangely I believe in karma, and I believe I will get what I deserve. If I don't get what I feel I deserve, I just stick to my faith believing taht God has a better plan for me. I keep my faith and I live my life by the day; which you can learn a lot from it already.

One important thing my teacher told me when I was in first year high school: "God does not give problems you cannot handle."

Cheers to all [img]smile.gif[/img]
i like what you said bahamut.. your teacher said a wisdom phrase indeed.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-04-2004, 10:50 AM   #24
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

You take a little time to be sad, have a drink or two in contemplation, and then you drive on. There's no use in looking down, what you want isn't on the ground. Life is full of flavors, some sweet and some bitter. Sometimes you get more of the bitter than is fair, but life isn't fair. It never has been. The rain falls upon the just and the unjust alike. Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people all the time. You just pursue your goals, take what you can get, and learn from your mistakes as best you can.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:25 PM   #25
Jonas Strider
Manshoon

Answering the topic Q:

I just like some people to get mad but I move on yet still thinking about it for a little longer. But then I accept my fate and find another goal or job to go after. Fall off a horse, then get on another one when available or get back on that same horse. At some point where we keep failing, then maybe it's because we just need to change our approach. I'm rather tenacious when I know that what I want is really what I want. If it's not, then I'm moving on. Sure hate to be stuck on the earth plane with way too much desire I'm hanging on to. Hell, I only came in this world as my spirit and I would like to leave that way with not too much karma dragging me back. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 04:38 PM   #26
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

[img]graemlins/drunkass.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunkass.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunkass.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunkass.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #27
Link
Jack Burton

Hearing all these stories makes me realise how lucky I've been in more than one situation, really. To be quite honest, I've been waiting for the 'major setback' for a long time now, as I believe it will help me learn who I am more, and put me right back into the real world, showing me I'm not the only one in the world who can pull things off time after time. It may sound a bit weird, but it's really what I'm waiting (hoping for it would be exaggerative) for.

In short, this is my life's story. I've always been kind of successfull in (almost) everything I try to do. I played tennis for some time, won a couple of tournaments, I played soccer for some time, I got invited to play for a professional soccer club, I played field hockey for 3 years, and I got placed in the main squad of the boys after one year. Hell, I honestly believe that if I started playing darts now I would end up winning the Embassy one day. Mind you, this is not me bragging off or something, it's just the way I am, and I really don't get why I'm so good at things. On the one side I'm glad I can do things with ease; I feel sorry for those who don't have the opportunities or talent I have.
Now here comes the bad part. I am quit smart, always have been. So when I was in junior high, I had no difficulties whatsoever in getting good grades. Even in high school I never really had any trouble. You'll probably say: "Wow, lucky you!", but it's exactly the opposite. At one point, you'll start realising that you can do it anyway, you don't have to study as hard as your friends and classmates do. You start realising you'll make it anyway. And that's what exactly what happened for my graduation. I did almost nothing to learn for my final tests, and yet I managed to graduate (albeit barely). The grades weren't good, I'll give you that, but I graduated anyway, so who cares?!
Since September 2002 I started my Archaeology studies at Leiden University, and although I didn't like it in the end, I told my parents I would try and finish the year successfull and pass all my tests. In the end I did nothing the second semester and failed almost all of them. My parents were angry with me, of course, and threatened me that if I wouldn't pass the retries (dunno the English word for it) for the tests in next August, I would have to quite rowing (something I liked very, very much). I had to make five tests in one week, and you know what? - I didn't even fret about it one thing. Hell, I didn't even study that hard. Of course, I did something, but just the bare necessities. In the end, I passed 3 of the five tests, satisfying my parents enough to continue rowing the next year and to let me continue the Archaeology study (which I didn't, by the way).

After having bored you all with this story ( ), I was wondering about the following point (yes, there was a point [img]smile.gif[/img] ); what is the best? Having a life where you life from this moment to the next, wondering if the major setback will ever occur, or having had a major setback already and knowing that you don't want to experience it again?