Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
Ninj
Elite Waterdeep Guard

After getting my computer up and running, I've decided to solo a Swashbuckler with full Tactics on Core Diffucalty. And I'm considering taking on the Improved Guarded Compound crowd. I've heard that it has been done before, but I keep getting my butt handed back to me.

Janikai, Level 12 Swashbuckler
Weapon Profineces: 1 in Kanata, 1 in Scimiter, and 2 in Dual-Wielding
Armor: Aegler's Hide +3
Rings: Ring of Regeneration and Ring of Human Influcence (can be swapped for RoP+1)
Boots: None
Helmet: None
Weapons: A Kanata +1 and a rusty Kanata I found while breaking out of Irenicus' jail.
Potions: 24 Extra Healing, 22 Invisiblity Potions, and a potion of Master Thievery.

I can put off the Guarded Compound for a little while to gather any equipment you suggest I get, but I *want* the CFury kanata! Well that and the Boots of Speed. Any suggestions/tactics would be welcomed [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Ninj
Old 10-14-2003, 03:04 AM   #2
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

You do know who will also be after this katana if you happen to get it, do you ?

One item I suggest that you get is a certain ioun stone for your head protection, THAC0 bonus and HP boost. Somewhere in the Graveyard ...

Try to get some potions of freedom - if Koshi stuns you, it's finito.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Tactics MOD = Invisibility Potions MOD. Love your Potions. Hoard them, cherish them, and by all means use them. True, Tactics significantly increases the percentage of enemies who can see through Invisibility, but raises the number of times it will save your butt even higher. The Improved Guarded Compound is one of those times.

The problem with taking out the IGC with a Solo character is a one glaring example of Weimer-cheese: Infinite spells. Every time Stalman (gets hurt/sees a summon) and doesn't see a party member, he immediately casts a Spell Trigger of Zone of Sweet Air, Heal: Stalman, and Heal: Sion. Which means that you've got to find some way to take Stalman down all at once (not likely, for a Solo Swashbuckler), or get him Webbed/Held/Stunned/Charmed/Unconscious somehow.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
Ninj
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Tactics MOD = Invisibility Potions MOD. Love your Potions. Hoard them, cherish them, and by all means use them. True, Tactics significantly increases the percentage of enemies who can see through Invisibility, but raises the number of times it will save your butt even higher. The Improved Guarded Compound is one of those times.

The problem with taking out the IGC with a Solo character is a one glaring example of Weimer-cheese: Infinite spells. Every time Stalman (gets hurt/sees a summon) and doesn't see a party member, he immediately casts a Spell Trigger of Zone of Sweet Air, Heal: Stalman, and Heal: Sion. Which means that you've got to find some way to take Stalman down all at once (not likely, for a Solo Swashbuckler), or get him Webbed/Held/Stunned/Charmed/Unconscious somehow.
Yes I am very much aware about the weaknesses of Invisiblity. Why I cheesed out Mae'Var's guild by pickpocketing all of the Assassins' invisablity potions and stole Mae'Var's Shadow Armor before he was even dead!

Altho I'm pondering putting my Swashbuckler game on hold and going with a Solo Blade. I'm also considering installing the Apack which rebalances the Rogues and gives the Blade some bonuses and disadvanatages. For the Blade, the Apack gives him 3 free weapons profinicties in Dual-Wielding, but takes away the Improved Bard Song in ToB. The Blade also gets a new Special Ability, the Weapons Display.

So I'm not certain if I should install the Apack for a Solo Tactics Game...

-Ninj
Old 10-14-2003, 02:18 PM   #5
Userunfriendly
Elminster

Arrow

solo tactics...yikes!!!

improved bard song is your friend, especially if you cheese it... i don't know what display weapon does, you're going to have to weigh the advantages disadvantages very carefully...

i would highly think about installing ease of use mod...the modified divine arcane progression will give you ability to cast up to 8th level mage spells...

item upgrade would also help, giving you a much better items later on in the game...
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote