Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 01:54 AM   #11
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Yeah I tried a clean boot of XP which basically means only system program will run in the background not even norton will come on when that's enabled. Still nothing. There are no odd programs running even on normal boot.

I have gotten as far as opening up a dos window but I don't know the command to delete the file itself (hoping someone will fill me in). Repairing the registry is another issue I know...
Try typing in "del " w/o the quotes.
So for instance if the program is abc.exe you'd type in:

del abc.exe
Old 12-05-2003, 11:21 AM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Did it! Thank you!
Old 12-05-2003, 12:25 PM   #13
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

LOL so much hassle over one file deletion! Bad luck mate. Luckily there are a few of us around here who grew up with DOS who can help you out. In the future, you should be able to do as others suggested and close the annoying process with task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) or just delete with del.
Dos is actually useful for doing some tasks faster. Anyway, type "help" in the command prompt, press enter and you'll get a list of handy commands.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-05-2003, 01:08 PM   #14
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
LOL so much hassle over one file deletion! Bad luck mate. Luckily there are a few of us around here who grew up with DOS who can help you out. In the future, you should be able to do as others suggested and close the annoying process with task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) or just delete with del.
Dos is actually useful for doing some tasks faster. Anyway, type "help" in the command prompt, press enter and you'll get a list of handy commands.
[img]smile.gif[/img] I'm building up my REALLY old Dell into a Dos box, so I can play all those spiffy 320x200 resolution games! Hey.... They were the best!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-05-2003, 01:37 PM   #15
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
[img]smile.gif[/img] I'm building up my REALLY old Dell into a Dos box, so I can play all those spiffy 320x200 resolution games! Hey.... They were the best!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Yeah, no matter how you try with emulators or CPU slowers the only reliable way to play old games is on an old computer with old hardware with DOS cos DOS games won't recognise new sound cards etc. I'm thinking of doing this too, old games beat most newer ones for gameplay hands down.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-06-2003, 06:48 PM   #16
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I was just thinking about the same thing. I've been wanting to play Wing Commander 2 for ages now, but thats just impossible on these new computers.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:43 PM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LOL! I used to play a soccer game on my old 286, but got away from it when I got a new comp (and new things to do). Finally put it back on and tried to play it on a Pentium 233... watched the first play (opponent grabs the ball from me, zips down the field untouched, and scores) take about .65 seconds, and removed it.

Maybe I'll build up an older machine for those things... nah, not now. Maybe I'll give that to one of my kids as a project in a couple of years.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.