Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2002, 08:16 AM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

First of all, all of you who participated in Donut's thread deserve to be congratulated. Well done!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

The reason? You managed to bring a potentially dividing issue out into the open and discuss it in a positive and value-adding way, like mature people. Sure, tempers got short at times. Sure, people may have been offended at certain times. But that's all part of the give and take of SELF-REGULATION and MODERATION.

I thought Melusine and Donut raised very good points: a moderator's primary function is to moderate threads, perform certain admin functions like locking/unlocking/moving threads, to quell flamewars, to remove obvious spam threads, and to ban trolls. It is NOT a moderator's primary function to constantly make judgments on thread quality - that responsibility rests with to ALL of you.

The reality is that there will ALWAYS be threads that people won't like - the term "spam" can be applied to almost any thread that does not have a serious topic. This in itself is not a problem as long as they are 1) kept in moderation; and 2) kept in a thread of their own. It's when these threads start to proliferate, and proliferate from the actions of a handful of people - that they get noticed and people start to complain about them.

The onus is on ALL of you to make sure that you make sure this does not get out of hand. As Mouse said, we don't want to have a forum which is very tightly, rigidly controlled by a Kremlin set of moderators - but by the same token we don't want a forum where the front page is full of rubbish and anyone can post what they want. We're looking for a balance - sometimes the pendulum swings one way, sometimes the other - the responsibility is with all of us as Ironworks members to make sure that over time balance in maintained.

It's not all bad [img]smile.gif[/img] - the huge response to Donut's thread has shown how much ALL of you care about Ironworks in your own way. If it had gotten few replies then I would have been more concerned - that would have shown apathy. And I'm especially proud of the fact that over the course of that entire thread everyone was able to collectively self-moderate themselves without intervention from Saz, Mouse, Ziroc or myself. I deliberately didn't say anything over the course of that entire thread to see if you could all come to some sort of agreement on how to go forward (you haven't quite yet from what I can see, but you're all moving in the right direction). [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

This is how we used to do it when we posted on the old blue board - since we didn't have ANY moderators, we listened to each other, we took each other's feelings into consideration, and we collectively came up with solutions that everyone was happy with. We want all members to feel EMPOWERED that they can work to make this forum better, no matter who they are.

Well done, and I look forward to reading any further discussions with interest. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-27-2002, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 08-27-2002, 08:26 AM   #22
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Blimey. Have to go back on reading... missed the forum [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 11:19 AM   #23
Sigmar
Unicorn

How about we round this argument up and get on to some important (bar) matters [img]smile.gif[/img]

Personally I believe that spam threads should be allowed to exist as long as its in moderation and in good taste. We should also ensure that the spam doesn't leak into other threads (as in the case of the bunnies a while back).

A little spam is good for the soul

So next time someone makes a rebellion/invasion/war thread it should be resticted to one thread (or possibly 2) and then replaced with another one until the topic itself is exhausted and finished.

So what say you good people of Ironworks, sound right? I'll be more than willing to abide by the above guidelines above.

If you don't agree what do you think the policy on spam should be?

I suppose this topic acts as a BUMP too.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:32 AM   #24
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

im really quite pissed that i missed these threads while in bed or at school
but my hurried 2 cents befor work would be

. if something interests/intrigues/amuses or even infuriates you then post if not and you have in interest or nothing of value to contribute then dont atall [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 01:11 PM   #25
Lord Shield

One of the bar threads spawned the Pillow Fight. This beast spread into GD forum and in so many threads it was untrue. Somebody tried to start the thread on TeamBG after seeing it, but it fizzled out. I started a pillow fight thread on CRC but it stayed as a single thread. Only on IW could it survive and grow

I have a few ideas to change the bar, so as not to use the exact same formula, bu tessentially it will be similar to the earlier threadsd with me posting an occasional crisis or event. I do not want to use the tavern threads for RPG quests (that was what killed the bar). Such threads can be totally separate I feel

btw, Memsy, get your kit off

Old 08-27-2002, 01:47 PM   #26
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:

btw, Memsy, get your kit off
Again, you have permanently scarred me. Stop it! And put some clothes on, for heaven's sake...*averts her eyes*

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:24 PM   #27
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm enjoying myself reading the old Bars... perhaps someone should set up the Bar as a NWN online mod?
[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Not all of us have NWN unfortunately...
But LS and I were discussing starting the bar again like it used to be in the first few threads. Will let you know if it works out. [img]smile.gif[/img]
BTW Tancred, I'll be seeing you in court - I read the old threads some months earlier and cracked all my ribs laughing at you and Karnas... you WILL PAY!
[/QUOTE]Damn, I'm busted. Justice is indeed a double-edged sword - that tells jokes.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:34 PM   #28
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Not all of us have NWN unfortunately...
Melusine, NWN is indeed a grail worth struggling for. I spent a bunch of dough upgrading my RAM and video card before I could even run the thing. But it really is a beautiful game.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:52 AM   #29
Melusine
Dracolisk

Attalus, I know. I will upgrade and get it as soon as possible, if only to MP with my friends. But it takes a bit longer for me I should imagine
Still, my time will come

Tancred... mwahahaha...
I've just raised the amount of reparations I demand. My lawyer will be in touch.
[img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2002, 08:15 AM   #30
Lord Shield

I'm sure Tancred could be suitably punished in the bar