Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2002, 06:55 PM   #11
AliCat
Drow Warrior

Well, I don't really know what to tell you. I'm guessing you're in a Bible Belt area, if even the teacher at school is giving you problems (I'd maybe go speak with a guidance counselor if this is a public school, as what that teacher is doing is illegal), and maybe it's a small town as well, which is MUCH harder to deal with when it comes to a heavy-hitting religion.

I was in a small town during my teenage years, and we were maybe the only agnostic/atheist family around. Everyone else was either Catholic or Presbyterian (except for the one Jewish family); however, we didn't get much hassled, just missed out on a fair amount of social events.

One thing I adored doing in college and ever since was joining in the intellectual argument. I don't know if that makes me a devil's advocate (no, not to the extent of Satanism, just a figure of speech) or just obnoxious. If a born-again Christian wanted to try to convert me, I'd let them try, and see if they had a good answer for any question I had that didn't make sense about their religion. If a Jehovah's Witness tried telling me how good heaven was, I'd argue about what a bore that would be for eternity, for everything to be "good" forever (and I'd also mention how I thought Revelations was not meant to be in the Bible, that it was written by someone on hallucinogens). If one of the Mennonites around here tries to tell me they think there ought to be prayer or the ten commandments in school, I tell them that's a great idea, so long as we also have the Wiccan creed printed up there too.

It's rather fun!

I think the urge to convert others seems to be a bit worse in this country. I was never approached by the Church of England looking for converts when I was over there. Also, certain sects don't seem to proselytize as much either -- how many Quakers have tried to get you to come over the fence? How many Jews have harrassed you?

Interesting, intellectually, anyhow. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2002, 12:51 AM   #12
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Someone actually came up to you and held it against you that you have tattoos and piercings ?????
You would be suprised at the things alleged christans say to people who look diffrent. They all seem to think that if you have green hair and a tattoo then you must be a blood drinking satanist.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:26 AM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
quote:
Someone actually came up to you and held it against you that you have tattoos and piercings ?????
You would be suprised at the things alleged christans say to people who look diffrent. They all seem to think that if you have green hair and a tattoo then you must be a blood drinking satanist.[/QUOTE]Not sure if being Christian has anything to do with that. I know Christians who wear piercings/tattoos themselves. I've also seen atheists moan and bitch about tattoos and piercings being ugly and mutilation...
I used to have coloured hair and a piercing myself and have never been told I was going to hell. Maybe because my attitude didn't invite it...?
What I'm saying is, someone "gave you hell" because you wear piercings (I agree it's stupid - you're free to do what you wish with your own body) but if that someone was a Christian, it doesn't mean anything. If it were a woman, would you say that women have an unhealthy attitude against body manipulations? If the person was heterosexual, would you say straight people do? It's all a matter of what you choose to see, IMO, and that goes for the entire topic of the thread. My best friend that I grew up with was raised quite strictly Christian. I went through a 'black metal' period where I listened to bands who claimed they were satanists. I have never subscribed to the doctrine myself (quite on the contrary) but I sure asked some pretty critical questions about the Christian religion. Why it never became an issue? Because neither of us generalised, because I didn't hold it against her that *some* Christians behave badly, because she didn't hold it against me that I liked music with a bit of a dodgy background.... because of respect.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:10 AM   #14
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryndel:
[QB]So I'll just ask here: does any christian here think atheists AREN'T in need of salvation or misguided (or whatever kind of bullshit you want to sugarcoat it with)?

[QB]
Nah, as long as you're nice and lead a good and honest life do whatever the hell you want. If God does exist (which I believe he does) thne according to his teachings you will be accepted into heaven/paradise, whether you like it or not

Seriously believe what ever you will, that is your right. Don't let people tell you what to believe, we're all human beings with differant opinions. Life's to short to argue about what happens when we die [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2002, 05:21 PM   #15
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Life's to short to argue about what happens when we die [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QB]
But it seems that the rest of the human race doesn’t know that,
The inquisition once burnt atheists.
Lenin had Christians sent to the Gulags,
All because of differing views over what will happen after you die.

Old 06-29-2002, 06:54 PM   #16
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Not sure if being Christian has anything to do with that. I know Christians who wear piercings/tattoos themselves. I've also seen atheists moan and bitch about tattoos and piercings being ugly and mutilation...
I used to have coloured hair and a piercing myself and have never been told I was going to hell. Maybe because my attitude didn't invite it...?
What I'm saying is, someone "gave you hell" because you wear piercings (I agree it's stupid - you're free to do what you wish with your own body) but if that someone was a Christian, it doesn't mean anything. If it were a woman, would you say that women have an unhealthy attitude against body manipulations? If the person was heterosexual, would you say straight people do? It's all a matter of what you choose to see, IMO, and that goes for the entire topic of the thread. My best friend that I grew up with was raised quite strictly Christian. I went through a 'black metal' period where I listened to bands who claimed they were satanists. I have never subscribed to the doctrine myself (quite on the contrary) but I sure asked some pretty critical questions about the Christian religion. Why it never became an issue? Because neither of us generalised, because I didn't hold it against her that *some* Christians behave badly, because she didn't hold it against me that I liked music with a bit of a dodgy background.... because of respect.
I know not ALL Christans give people a hard time about tattoos and such , its just the ones that I meet. Here is an example. Last year my wife and I went to Virginia Beach for a little vacation. We were on the beach one day when this woman came up to me and asked me "Why would you want to mutilate yourself like that , dont you know its a sin against god?" She didnt introduce herself , didnt ask me my name or anything , just walked up and harrased me. Maybe it being sunday had something to do with it , but I dont know.My answer was "what business is it of yours?" Instead of answering me she asked me what my mother though of all my tattoos. I told her that my mom has paid for a few of them. She then rolled her eyes at me and said "Typical, She doesnt believe in god either , does she?" I took that as my cue to give this random Jesus freak "the finger" Unfortunately she took it as her cue to lecture me about my soul and god and such. An argument errupted and her "boyfriend" came over and poked his nose in. To make a long story short , my wonderfull wife saved the day by dousing the 2 jesus freaks witha 5Gal bucket of sea water. The woman sputtered like a drowned rat and stormed off while informing us that "the police were going to be called on us." Thankfully her "boyfriend" kept his yap shut and went with her. It is people like that , that I am refering to when I say Christian people give me a hard time about my tattoos. I have yet to have a random stranger on the street come up to me and harrass me about how I look that has not had some sort of religious motivation.Jewish people havent harrased me , Muslims havent harrased me , Athiests havent bothered me, only Christians feel the need to admonish me for what I do with my bodie. Sometimes peacefully , other times not so peacefully. I guess "the finger" or telling them to STFU doesnt sit well with some of them.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:40 PM   #17
AliCat
Drow Warrior

Sorry about those experiences, Hunter!

Interesting comment I heard once: when I told someone at a restaurant where I worked that I was heading up to Massachusetts for college, the comment was "Oh, that's God's country!". I kept silent, because my immediate tempted retort was "So New Jersey isn't???". Never mind offending the old gal, I didn't want to hear poor New Jersey insulted yet again!
Old 06-29-2002, 07:53 PM   #18
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryndel:
[QB]So I'll just ask here: does any christian here think atheists AREN'T in need of salvation or misguided (or whatever kind of bullshit you want to sugarcoat it with)?
I'm one of the biggest relgeouse folk you'll ever run into in your life and I swear that I don't give a rat's ass about "Saving" people. If they want to live that way then it's best they just be left alone to live!

Let God Sort em' out!
Old 06-29-2002, 08:04 PM   #19
Wynne
Dungeon Master

My experience with Christians hasn't been that good.

Unfortunately, I find that most atheists and agnostics are about as bad... they hold themselves as superiors who know everything--just like Christians. How ironic.

I judge people on a person-by-person basis, not on beliefs. It would be foolish to do otherwise.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:12 PM   #20
AliCat
Drow Warrior

Wynne,
I agree with you, that that is the smart way of doing things! However, I do understand Ryndel's and Hunter's points, which is that unfortunately there are many people that impose a viewpoint on others before they ever get to know them and take them as individuals with brains of their own. Too many people let first impressions and dogma carry them through life... and unfortunately, they miss getting to know some really neat people.

AliCat